All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-13 6:04 am

Should there be a general ban list?
Yes 53%  53%  [ 28 ]
No 47%  47%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 53
 Post subject: General Ban List
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-06 10:05 am 

Are there any generals that are just too good and should there be a (short) general ban list for sanctioned tournaments? (I'm not sure if this topic has be discussed before it probably has but I don't see it anywhere.)

I'm just asking what other people think of this as the format continues to evolve beyond a casual setting.

Last edited by Jukren54 on 2009-Mar-12 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-06 10:15 am 

Generals are associated with their decks so I brought it up because when you build the deck around certain generals often times the deck becomes broken and unanswerable in a variety of situations.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-06 10:17 am 

EDH tournies shouldn't be played for prizes at sanctioned events. It is and should always be a casual format. Otherwise you will see groups like the EDH Mafia from Gencon pop up everywhere and legally ruin these sanctioned events. If it were played as a 1v1 tournament, that would totally go against the Multiplayer casualness of EDH. Please leave sanctioned events for Standard, Extended, etc.

A group of 12 people all decide to chip in a couple of packs/$$$ to have a little something on the line as a side event is fine.

If you do plan on running a sanctioned event, allow sideboards. You don't need to ban Generals just effectively use the optional sideboard rule.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-06 11:47 am 

There already is a General banned list, it contains:

Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary

So it's clearly a short list at the moment. If your local playgroup wants to add to it here are the least-popular Generals I can think of:

Braids, Cabal Minion
Zur the Enchanter
Arcum Daggson

Who did I miss?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-06 4:32 pm 

American_Kid wrote:
EDH tournies shouldn't be played for prizes at sanctioned events. It is and should always be a casual format. Otherwise you will see groups like the EDH Mafia from Gencon pop up everywhere and legally ruin these sanctioned events. If it were played as a 1v1 tournament, that would totally go against the Multiplayer casualness of EDH. Please leave sanctioned events for Standard, Extended, etc.

A group of 12 people all decide to chip in a couple of packs/$$$ to have a little something on the line as a side event is fine.

If you do plan on running a sanctioned event, allow sideboards. You don't need to ban Generals just effectively use the optional sideboard rule.

I think because of your reason there should be a small one. Apathy on part of the casual player will allow such persons to abuse such generals. If you disagree think of it this way, we need a small list to protect ourselves from each other.

"During the democratic debate Tuesday night, Senator Joe Biden criticized presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani, saying 'There's only 3 things he mentions in a sentence: A noun, a verb, and 9/11.' Giuliani later responded, saying, 'Joe Biden sucks 9/11.'"
-Seth Meyers, SNL's Weekend Update November 3, 2007

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-06 5:47 pm 

i dont think you should ban generals, ban the players abusing them.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-06 6:51 pm 

tarnar wrote:

So it's clearly a short list at the moment. If your local playgroup wants to add to it here are the least-popular Generals I can think of:

Braids, Cabal Minion
Zur the Enchanter
Arcum Daggson

Who did I miss?

I think you pretty much covered it. Niv-Mizzet, maybe?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-06 9:25 pm 

intreped wrote:
tarnar wrote:

Braids, Cabal Minion
Zur the Enchanter
Arcum Daggson

Who did I miss?

I think you pretty much covered it. Niv-Mizzet, maybe?

Erayo is the only one I have ever heard anyone object to on these boards.

One of my playgroups had issues with Kaervek, but it was a casual group.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-07 7:27 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Kaervek was the major factor that prompted the change from all general damage to just combat damage.

At the time, Heartless Hidetsugu was banned as a general, since it was often an auto-kill of everyone.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-07 1:14 pm 

I voted no. I think that this format is supposed to be casual, and so we should depend on players not to be jerks. Making a general ban list just for tournaments will probably just become the de facto ban list for all games, tournament or casual, and that's a bad thing in my mind. I think the solution is to just not have big prize sanctioned tournaments, and keep the emphasis on fun rather than winning something.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-07 5:53 pm 

In my area, some generals proved to win many tournaments (we are all playing 1 vs 1 matches). But among them only one is too strong IMO : Erayo. He often flips turn two, if not turn one. Paired with Winter Orb, Rising Waters and all bounce effects, I've almost never seen this deck lose a game, except when I had Stifle or Swords to Plowshares.

Erayo being apart, I don't see the point banning any other general, since you dan easily deal with it according you have enough cheap removal in your deck (Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, Chainer's Edict, Repeal, Lightning Bolt, Skred, Innocent's Blood, Balance, and so on).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-12 12:14 pm 

big jim wrote:
so we should depend on players not to be jerks.

Sadly, there's a lot of people in the world that just never live up to expectations...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-12 1:00 pm 

Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero should also be on this list, she can be very degenerit

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-12 1:14 pm 

Dragon136913 wrote:

It's card advantage for sure but is mono-white singleton Rebels that scary? I will admit I haven't played against it so I have no idea. Gatherer says there are 40-odd Rebels in mono-white, plus a couple of Changelings, but nothing in the list strikes me as a sick tutor target.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-12 1:17 pm 

Dragon136913 wrote:

Haaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*gasp*

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha
hahahaha

HAHHAHAHAH

Can't...stop...laughing...

Offline Profile