Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-14 7:41 pm

Post subject: Pairings for Multiplayer Games
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-09 4:54 am 

Hi! My local store is considering having a multiplayer tournament soon, and I was wondering how to do the pairings, depending on how many people show up.

I assume most multiplayer tournaments have to be single elimination. It seems like the optimal situation is 4 players to a table. It is also unlikely that we will have so many people to necessitate more then 2 rounds.

The problem I come to is what to do when you have strange numbers of people attending, such as; 13 or 21 or particularly 27. While 27 seems unlikely, I would like to have a plan in case it happens. I'm also curious how if there is a proper way to do this.

I was curious if anyone has a chart on how to seat people at various rounds depending on the amount of people in attendance. I have done some rudimentary research that I'll share if it hasn't already been done before.

Thanx in advance!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-09 10:53 pm 

look at tables of X with a low points system i.e. 1 for first 2 for second...

27 i'd have 3 tables of 5 and 2 tables 6.

I'd also play 3 rounds

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-20 7:15 pm 

Depending on how many attendees you have, you may wish to do games with more than two players. EDH is designed to be a multiplayer format, of course!

The local store plays a large game with range 1, attack left, and turn counters to keep things moving. Prizes for performing a variety of goals make the game more interesting, and slightly de-emphasizes being the last person standing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-20 9:02 pm 

One method which I've looked at is to do the event as 2 "rounds". Break up players into groups as close to X^X as possible. (9 players - 3 games of 3 people; 16 players - 4 games of 4 people)

You pair the next round by the order of elimination. The first table are all the players eliminated first. The second table are all the players eliminated second. Your prize support is by order of elimination at these tables; packs are relatively flat between these tables, so the winner of the "first eliminated" pod may get 6 packs while the winner of the "last-round winners" pod would get 12 packs.

Offline Profile