Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-13 10:13 pm

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-22 12:10 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
I think Rofellos' unbanning will only succeed in getting Fastbond banned.

Besides Staff of Domination, what good can boatloads of green mana do for you?

Turn 3 Multani, turn 4 Sundering Titan, that buyback X/X maker, Planar Portal, Myojin of Life's Web. There are so many uses for ridiculous amounts of green mana.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-22 12:19 pm 

Fastbond seems, to me, the card that should be banned. But it's silly to discuss whether or not that is necessary until people start putting up decklists and reports that prove a deck with Fastbond wins every game by turn 3 or whatever.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-22 3:20 pm 

Jedit wrote:
Jeyal wrote:
I think Rofellos' unbanning will only succeed in getting Fastbond banned.

Besides Staff of Domination, what good can boatloads of green mana do for you?

Turn 3 Multani, turn 4 Sundering Titan, that buyback X/X maker, Planar Portal, Myojin of Life's Web. There are so many uses for ridiculous amounts of green mana.

But none of those win the game.

Those are fair, and thus, Rofellos, isn't a problem.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 4:55 am 

I also have mixed feelings about this recent list.

Especially the Tinker / Metalworker bits since i had been hunting those to add into my favorite EDH (Sharuum).
Agreed, Metalworker can do sick things for your mana production, and it does allow for a lot of infinite combos (Staff of Domination, Monoliths etc.) but i get the feeling that this is largely due to a lot of people playing the deck in 1v1 situations. For multiplayer this is far less an issue, since i noticed my playgroup dogpiles me when my Tolarian Academy hits the table. Yes: they don't even wait for Minamo to show up. Basicly these 2 bannings look like they are inspired by 1v1 and not multiplay so while i don't exactly object against and see the purpose of these bannings i still have my reservations.

Rofellos unbanned = You have entered the no caring zone! Allthough i must admit i have one lying around and i will test some stuff out to see what gives.

What disturbes me most is the unbanning of CoW. The main argument is that EDH is about fun, and the most degenerate strategy of them all is the most unfun to encounter: land destruction. With Crucible a myriad of land shenanigans become possible considering Jokulhaups, Decree, Armageddon, Strip Mine, Life ot Loam, Raze, Boom/Bust etc. I was already planning a deck along those lines to annoy a whole table, but CoW breaks the mirror and really makes this idea viable. Also the upcoming last Alara set is rumoured to be multicouloured, which would land destruction an even more interesting path to take if i want to tick off people.
But i just want to tick the regular powerplayers off, i don't want to chase new players away. The reason i mention Alara is because we don't live in a densely EDH populated, we only recently recruited a new player who has a limited card pool and a lot of those are newer cards from the last 2 blocks. Players like those will get hosed out of the game if degenerate CoW+Strip Mine is allowed, because every oldie will now play this, because it can really be effective against a 5 color deck. Not everyone has one of every original dual land. Even for the 3 color decks (which are the most abundant here) some targeted removal of 1 color can be game ruining.

On this note i can see why Sundering Titan is on watch, but with Tinker gone it should be a lot less optimal to get it into play. Sundering Titan really scales badly when the player count goes up, and it is never certain to have a large impact. But again it *could* be very unfun (even just hardcast) if you play it against a new player with a 5 colour mainly Shards deck that is new to the format and just wants to cast cool spells.

Time Stretch on watch is also nonsense imho: it only becomes a little bit rediculous when you suspend it with Jhoira, but even then the opponents have multiple turns and possibilities to get around it. If you hardcast it and nobody has a simple counterspell (or Spelljack *evil grin*) in a multiplayer table you deserve to get 2 turns. It's not like it auto-wins games on resolving. And when it gets countered you just spent 10 mana and most likely have to pass the turn without having done anything and completely devoid of mana. GG

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 6:06 am 

Quote:
I actually have no clue why Worldgorger Dragon was ever banned...what is the combo (or deck) that broke it?

This is an example of what got Worldgorger Dragon banned in a ton of formats.

Get it into your graveyard with a 2nd creature there. Lotta ways to go about this, some faster than others.
Animate it via enchant. Lets use animate dead for this example.
This is what follows next.
Animate dead comes into play. Targets Worldgorger Dragon.
Worldgorger Dragon comes into play.
Worldgorger removes everything else you control from play.
Animate dead leaves play, so Worldgorger dies.
Worldgorger leaves play, so all permanents come into play untapped.
Animate dead returns to play, so you target the Worldgorger.
Before Worldgorger comes back into play, tap out your mana.
Rinse Lather, Repeat,

Finally, target the other creature and play your favorite X casting cost nuke spell.

When dark rituals and other quick mana acceleration in the mix, this can happen very, very fast.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 6:44 am 

yep,

considering
bad lands / underground river
dark rit ( lots of these effects )
entomb ( deck can include buried alive )
animate of some type
( some sort of instant )
= first turn silliness with world gorger

it wasn't banned in this format for quite a while until someone made a deck and abused it alot.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 7:53 am 

exactly

those who don't abuse it are those who now scream about it being banned, but its for the good of others... ;i am sure your local playgroup would allow you to play it, if you don't abuse it ;)

J.

Offline Profile