Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 12:47 pm

Post subject: Generals in a Tournament
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 9:17 am 

Hello all,

I was wondering. Why do people play that 2 people cannot play the same general in a tournament? They are already ignoring the legends rules for generals. I would think this would be annoying to have a first come first served general system. Plust a tournament could track if lots of the same deck was being played to help their local metagame.

Just a thought.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 10:17 am 

We used to call generals, but that practice seems to have fallen by the wayside. Too many of us and too many decks. In fact, a lot of us blow through decks fast enough that it's irrelevent.

When we have two of the same general in the same game (last time it happened with Cromat) we just ignored the legend rule.

That's the easiest most painless way to do it.

As far as two ppl playing the same deck...

Idk.

EDH is a casual format. If you run a tournament, I can buy that. But someone net decking? Like you're getting too many degrees away from the origional point of EDH.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 1:22 pm 

I didn't intend for that to come out as people playing the exact same deck, just the same generals. I figured just ignoring the calling of generals was the best way to go.

Thanks

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 6:21 pm 

I am surprised at the amount of ppl (off the forum) who are still iffy about building a deck just cuz someone else in the same area already used their intended General. For some of them, they might as well not build an EDH deck since all the legendary creatures they own are either crappy or already taken. Your loss.

I, for one, don't care about uniqueness of the General. It's the deck difference that will matter.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 6:25 pm 

Could it not happen that anyone can build the same general, but not play it in the same game as another?

Generals
Seton, Krosan Protector//Hanna, Ships Navigator//Captain Sisay//Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind//Braids, Conjurer Adept//Ghost Council of Orzhova

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 6:26 pm 

The EDH General rules changed to accommodate this and make things easier. That's why the physical card is never affected by the Legend rule.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 8:56 pm 

A tournament I just ran happened to have a couple overlapping generals. Initially we were going to enforce a roll call of sorts, but it was too restrictive to the players (we have a lot of kids in the area, so we couldn't force them to build another deck just because someone beat them to it). Fortunately once the tables were set up, all 4 players were at different tables.

Offline Profile