Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-11 1:30 pm

Post subject: Poison Counters?
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-25 12:58 pm 

I know that this has probably already been covered...

How do any of your local groups deal with poison counters. Since the rules for regular formats state 10 poison counters and in EDH it would be really easy to place 10 counters in one attack (Slivers anyone???). Are groups banning the use of cards that put poison counters or are they increasing the number of counters that will knock a player out of the game?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-25 1:05 pm 

No change, poison counters have always been considered by R&D very carefully and there are not any broken combinations that use poison counters (that I know of) aside from attacking 5 or 10 times to the face. And...that's the very type of thing that EDH wants to end the game, so that combined with a very watchful eye from wizards r&d means we don't have to make any changes for the poison counter mechanic.

Oh, and as for slivers...the sliver deck is pretty much always a win big/lose big sort of deck so if it's winning I think poison counters are probably the least of your worries (at least it means he didn't go infinite yet)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Mar-25 1:29 pm 

Unfortunately there are a lot of players in our area that thrive on either going infinite immediately or in this particular case... turn 5 or 6... Shifting Sliver, Virulent Sliver & Winged Sliver plus token slivers (as many as can be generated) and attacking one person. The defender is now the bigger target for everyone else, since they have to make sure they can block the Slivers again, they aren't likely to be able to do much damage at all.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-25 4:37 pm 

Well, if slivers are such a huge problem in your group, or for you. Just pack some sliver hate :P Engineered Plague ftw! ^^ Extinction also works very nice and Tsabo's Decree is top of the chart. Uhm, other than that you have: An-Zerrin Ruins, Faces of the Past, Outbreak, Hivestone + Peer Pressure (all you Slivers are now mine!), Standardize.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-25 6:37 pm 

There's also Dormant Sliver :wink:

Does Aether Snap remove Poison Counters?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 6:04 am 

nope, but leeches does ...

but really you've got more problems if you're letting a sliver deck get 5 / 10 critters in on you, considering if they drop sliver legion you're dead from normal damage anyway.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 6:55 am 

I'm usually going after lands when I see a Sliver deck is being played. Same with any kind of a Control deck... Empty their hands and deny them mana. Leyline of the Void has become my new friend!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 9:15 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I'm somehow pleased that poison counters are creating fear and doubt. Huzzah for obscure mechincs!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 9:43 am 

It is rumored that in the Zendikar some old mechanics would return. Maybe we see poison again? I think then the time to consider may have come but until no there is only one card that makes poison attractive and that is the virulent sliver. Kill him and the whole trick is gone out the window.

This post is brought to you by the elders of the internet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 12:46 pm 

dono I've seen swamp mosqito's win tourneys :P

though to be fair it during necropoltence silliness.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 2:28 pm 

What's the intended flavor for Zendikar? Maybe we can speculate the returning mechanics more accurately that way.

Then again there aren't much that they can recycle, they've already done a lot of them. Perhaps another graveyard block? Delve ftw lawl

Still waiting for the enchantment block to happen O___o

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 2:32 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
I'm somehow pleased that poison counters are creating fear and doubt. Huzzah for obscure mechincs!!!

Seconded!

Oh, and for Zendikar, my vote is for, Gravestorm!

"During the democratic debate Tuesday night, Senator Joe Biden criticized presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani, saying 'There's only 3 things he mentions in a sentence: A noun, a verb, and 9/11.' Giuliani later responded, saying, 'Joe Biden sucks 9/11.'"
-Seth Meyers, SNL's Weekend Update November 3, 2007

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 2:35 pm 

Quote:
For example, this fall when we bring back [CENSORED] .I don't think anyone would have expected [CENSORED] (really, if someone told you we'd have [CENSORED] without [CENSORED] , would you have believed them?).

Quote:
As I often explain, we now think of old mechanics as being valuable tools. The end result is that we've made a conscious decision to be more assertive about using these tools. This is why cycling returned in Shards and why the fan favorite CENSORED is returning this fall in the set codenamed "Live."

That is all I know from official sources until now. The logo looks somehow Aztec to me so maybe its located on a Jungle Plan or something. It is possible that poison comes back when a green/black theme appears, maybe.

This post is brought to you by the elders of the internet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 2:37 pm 

so Rock would get more broken in Extended? O___o

too much hate for the blue mages...even tho I'm not one of them

btw, do you have a link?

Offline Profile