Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 12:47 am

Should monocolor decks get to use cards with hybrid mana symbols?
yes 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
no 92%  92%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 7:05 pm 

Johnyk wrote:
tarnar wrote:
... the OP is only seeking...

What's OP?

op = original poster (or the person who started the thread)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-26 11:28 pm 

warble wrote:
And I just can't believe that all the whores who voted no have trouble tuning their monocolor decks...I don't even believe half of you HAVE monocolor decks!

Voted no, and my main deck is mono-colored. I like the restriction, and Nevinyrral's Disk and Oblivion Stone are your friends.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-27 1:28 am 

Thanks Mohawdan

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-27 9:17 am 

Poesjuh wrote:
And secondly, what would you do outside of mono color decks? Only allow mono-color decks to play hybrids would be weird, because a white deck for example could play every hybrid with white in it, where a WG deck would not be allowed to play Debtors' Knell for example.

Even if you don't think hybrids are off flavor, this is really off flavor. A R General can use Rg, but a WR General cant use WRg?

EDH decks tend to be multicolored, just as T1 decks tend to be combo decks.
If you're monocolored decks aren't powerfull enough you should either question your deckbuilding skills or switch to a multicolored deck, not try to change the format as a whole.

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-27 9:53 am 

24x30cl wrote:
EDH decks tend to be multicolored, just as T1 decks tend to be combo decks.
If you're monocolored decks aren't powerful enough you should switch to a multicolored deck, not try to change the format as a whole.

I'd just like to note...this poll was a SLAUGHTER(the above is the consensus opinion)!

I must go back to my damp, dark hole and cry for my white deck now.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-27 11:41 am 

Debtor's Knell is no more black than it is white. Just because black reanimate decks were the decks that actually had success with putting fat creatures from GY into play, doesn't change the fact that white had those effects first. Ressurection, Miraculous Recovery and Breath of Life came before Reanimate, Exhume, and Zombify.

If it were my playgroup, I would have no problem with someone running hybrid cards in their mono-colored decks. The only viable argument against it is "flavor". Everyone has a different feel of what the flavor of the format should be (see the MANY, MANY threads on "casual" vs "cut-throat"). I probably wouldn't even have a problem with silver border cards, let alone hybrid ones.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-27 11:43 am 

Quote:
If it were my playgroup, I would have no problem with someone running hybrid cards in their mono-colored decks. The only viable argument against it is "flavor". Everyone has a different feel of what the flavor of the format should be (see the MANY, MANY threads on "casual" vs "cut-throat"). I probably wouldn't even have a problem with silver border cards, let alone hybrid ones.

Then let your playgroup do that (If everyone in your playgroup is cool with that).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-27 5:15 pm 

Flavor matters, but it is also a matter of power.

Dovescape in Mageta is a house.

Debtor's Knell in Greel, Mindraker is a house.

Memory Plunder in Greel, Mindraker is a house.

colored cards like Goblin Welder or Tinker knock offs, Fabricate or Enlightened tutor would be a boon to a Karn deck. That's a pretty similar exception to what you are proposing. If Karn can Quicksilver Amulet a Verdent Force or a Sliver Queen into play without producing colored mana, that sure would be nice, but that's more than just about flavor, too.

Multicolored Leiges would be decent in many mono-colored decks, too (well, some of the better ones, that are decent creatures on their own), because they crusade your creatures and have a good "when you play a spell/creature" ability.

The point is, the exception you plea for is a slippery slope towards an entirely different format.

Last edited by Philatio on 2009-Mar-28 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-27 5:40 pm 

trevor wrote:
Debtor's Knell is no more black than it is white. Just because black reanimate decks were the decks that actually had success with putting fat creatures from GY into play, doesn't change the fact that white had those effects first. Ressurection, Miraculous Recovery and Breath of Life came before Reanimate, Exhume, and Zombify.

This is not really true. Resurrection has been around since Alpha. Breath of Life, Miraculous Recovery, Reanimate and Zombify were all introduced in the same year - 1997. Exhume came along in 1998, and Zombify in 2001. However, much more reanimation since then has been put in black; additionally, Debtor's Knell isn't only restricted to the controller's graveyard, a usual drawback of white reanimation.

Ashen Powder was first Printed in 1996 in Mirage.
Although Hymn of Rebirth was printed in 1995 in Ice Age, it was also green, not purely white.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-27 10:32 pm 

Philatio wrote:
trevor wrote:

This is not really true. Resurrection has been around since Alpha. Breath of Life, Miraculous Recovery, Reanimate and Zombify were all introduced in the same year - 1997. Exhume came along in 1998, and Zombify in 2001. However, much more reanimation since then has been put in black; additionally, Debtor's Knell isn't only restricted to the controller's graveyard, a usual drawback of white reanimation.

Although Hymn of Rebirth was printed in 1995 in Ice Age, it was also green, not purely white.

I think that this is worthwhile, but I would also like to point out that Knell not only reanimates creatures, but that it also reanimates your opponent's creatures under your control- something that, unless I am very mistaken, is an extremely Black ability. Sure, it was WG once, in Ice Age, but if we're basing a statement on the Ice Age color pie alone, I really think we got on the wrong track somewhere.

The Wrath of Konda
Project Group Hug (Phelddagrif)
Sakashima the Imposter, My Own Worst Enemy
Ixidor's Metamorphosis
Adamaro, First to Desire (Land destruction)
Turbowall (Gwafa Hazid)
Snakes on a Plane (Seshiro the Annointed)
Balthor's Army of Darkness
Heartless Hidetsugu and His Army of Pingers

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-28 10:48 am 

Although I oppose EDH's restrictions on hybrid cards -- to me, the restriction is anti-flavor -- I voted 'no' because I don't think the rule should be applied differently for mono-colored decks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-28 11:48 am 

Yodafan wrote:
Philatio wrote:
trevor wrote:

I think that this is worthwhile, but I would also like to point out that Knell not only reanimates creatures, but that it also reanimates your opponent's creatures under your control- something that, unless I am very mistaken, is an extremely Black ability. Sure, it was WG once, in Ice Age, but if we're basing a statement on the Ice Age color pie alone, I really think we got on the wrong track somewhere.

My point was that it was first earmarked as black, as far as I know (putting someon else's dead creatures under your control), by Ashen Powder in 1996. The only other card I could find todo the same thing prior to this was Hymn of Rebirth, which is WG - I think white needed the green for the "creature" part. I was just tryng to address the "who got what first" part of the post I reponded to, and also parse it further in that he had only used resurrection/zombify examples, which all only target their owner's graveyard, nd make the distinction that Knell does far more than that, and when and under which color(s) did that ability first crop up.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-28 11:52 am 

That Guy wrote:
Although I oppose EDH's restrictions on hybrid cards -- to me, the restriction is anti-flavor -- I voted 'no' because I don't think the rule should be applied differently for mono-colored decks.

Liar. You just want a Riot Spikes and a Master Warcraft in your Rorix Bladewing, you greedy slut. Kenny, I thought better of you. And here I was thinking you were trying to make peace with your least favorite color, only to find out your trying to bleed in other colors after all.

Offline Profile