Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-15 11:22 am

Post subject: having problems understanding some of the rules
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 4:49 pm 

im building a new deck right now and im having some problems with a couple of the rules. http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~geduggan/EDH_rules.html

under deck construction rule #2 it says that the deck may not contain any cards using off colour mana symbols. at first i though this was only effective against the mana cost and in a activation cost, but in the example it lists Talisman of Dominance. so if this is true can a 3 colour deck (eg. Phelddagrif casting cost 1UWG) run a birds of paradise or a city of brass cause they can tap for a mana of any colour?

or a Noble Hierarch (taps for white and blue) in a Kresh the Bloodbraided deck?

also if the above is true what is the purpose of rule #3 (A deck may not generate mana outside its colours; anything which would generate mana of an illegal colour generates colourless mana instead.) i though this rule applies you are allowed to run a card like Talisman of Dominance in the Phelddagrif deck but instead of tapping for a blue or black for a damage, it would tap for a blue or a colourless for a damage. and the Noble Hierarch only makes a green in the Kresh the Bloodbraided deck. if this was not the case then what is purpose of this rule or a card it would effect?

its probably just me but these rules seem to overlap and counterdict each other a some points.

thanks for your help
X

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 4:58 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Hopefully I can simplify:

1. You can't EVER generate mana that's not in your General's mana cost. If you're playing Kresh, you can only generate black, red, and green.

2. You can't have a card in your deck that has a mana symbol ANYWHERE on it that's not in your general's mana cost. You can't play Noble Hierarch (which has the green, white, and blue mana symbols on it) in your Kresh deck. You also, for example, can't play Altar of Shadows in with a General who doesn't have black in its cost.

Make sense?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 5:00 pm 

what about the city of brass or birds of paradise in any deck that isnt 5 colours

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 5:04 pm 

they dont have the 5 mana symbols on them but they might as well and what is the purpose of rule #3 (A deck may not generate mana outside its colours; anything which would generate mana of an illegal colour generates colourless mana instead.)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 5:06 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Correct. City of Brass is playable in any deck...but you can still only generate the color(s) of mana in your General with it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 5:35 pm 

player x wrote:
they dont have the 5 mana symbols on them but they might as well and what is the purpose of rule #3 (A deck may not generate mana outside its colours; anything which would generate mana of an illegal colour generates colourless mana instead.)

I have Fellwar Stone or Exotic Orchard in a mono-blue deck. (we're just talking example here) If my opponent has no blue-producing lands, I can tap those for mana, but any color of many that I would produce is replaced by the production of colorless mana.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 7:18 pm 

that would be the case

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 7:49 pm 

Yes, and it makes a difference a lot.

Lets say I'm playing Sharuum (White/Blue/Black) and I Control Magic your Shivan Dragon.
No matter how bad I want to, I cannot ever pump him.
Even controlling Gilded Lotus, City of Brass, Exotic Orchard etc etc, they CAN'T produce RED because my general is not that color.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 8:42 pm 

Yawg, that's not exactly true. A mycosynth lattice let's mana be used as any colour. so while you can not generate red mana, if a lattice is in play, you can spend any colour, or colourless, as red, to pump the dragon

Offline Profile