Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-13 2:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2013-Aug-18 12:31 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Pretty much.

Comp rules - 800.4a wrote:
When a player leaves the game, all objects (see rule 109) owned by that player leave the game and any effects which give that player control of any objects or players end. Then, if that player controlled any objects on the stack not represented by cards, those objects cease to exist. Then, if there are any objects still controlled by that player, those objects are exiled. This is not a state-based action. It happens as soon as the player leaves the game. If the player who left the game had priority at the time he or she left, priority passes to the next player in turn order who’s still in the game.

When a player loses the game, the first thing that happens is all the stuff they own disappears. Right after, all control change effects end, meaning their Control Magics, Blatant Thieverys and Threatens stop working. Basically, anything that says "gain control" or "exchange control" on it. Finally, if they still control anything after that, it's all exiled. That'll be any card owned by a player that they somehow got control of without something that says "gain control." Bribery, Beacon of Unrest, Desertion, etc. Basically, if they stole if from the battlefield they give it back, and if they stole it from another zone it'll get exiled.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-18 4:29 pm 

cryogen wrote:
So basically, if the stolen permanent entered the battlefield via theft, it gets exiled, and if it was stolen from the battlefield it returns to its previous owner?

No. It returns to its previous controller.

Ownership doesn't change.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-08 11:14 am 

Would casting Maelstrom Wanderer from the command zone with +2 mana added to his casting cost affect the cards it could cascade into?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-08 8:03 pm 

Sivartus wrote:
Would casting Maelstrom Wanderer from the command zone with +2 mana added to his casting cost affect the cards it could cascade into?

No, cascade looks at the printed cmc only, the +2 general tax is an additional cost, not part of the cmc.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-23 12:32 am 

I'm still new to commander so here's my dumb question about this French Ban list. If you are playing multi-player, then it does not apply right? The French Ban list only applies to 1v1 (duel) commander? If this is true then I can play Balance and Yawgmoth's Bargain.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-23 1:42 am 

zero_3 wrote:
If you are playing multi-player, then it does not apply right? The French Ban list only applies to 1v1 (duel) commander?

Indeed.

zero_3 wrote:
If this is true then I can play Balance and Yawgmoth's Bargain.

Not really (though it depends on your playgroup), as multiplayer commander has a banlist as well. Both cards are on that list, so unless you hate your friends you shouldn't be playing them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-19 6:08 pm 

This seems like a good place to clear up Exotic Orchard. I see the question around a good bit, we are hashing it out over on /r/EDH atm, figured I would just come to the source for a ruling and maybe get it added to the FAQ. If I control Exotic Orchard and my opponent has City of Brass and our commander color identities do not match, can I produce any color mana from the Exotic Orchard?

Rule 903.9
903.9. If mana would be added to a player's mana pool of a color that isn't in the color identity of that player's commander, that amount of colorless mana is added to that player's mana pool instead.

Rule 106.7
106.7. Some abilities produce mana based on the type of mana another permanent or permanents “could produce.” The type of mana a permanent could produce at any time includes any type of mana that an ability of that permanent would produce if the ability were to resolve at that time, taking into account any applicable replacement effects in any possible order. Ignore whether any costs of the ability could or could not be paid. If that permanent wouldn’t produce any mana under these conditions, or no type of mana can be defined this way, there’s no type of mana it could produce.

/r/EDH thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/1vlgqn/exotic_orchard_in_edh/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-20 1:01 pm 

You could TRY and produce any color. If it did not match with your Color ID then it would be changed to colorless.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-21 9:02 pm 

MRHblue wrote:
You could TRY and produce any color. If it did not match with your Color ID then it would be changed to colorless.

So if I were playing a 5 color commander and my Opp was playing a U/G commander could tap the Orchard for B/W/R?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-22 12:57 pm 

Sivartus wrote:
So if I were playing a 5 color commander and my Opp was playing a U/G commander could tap the Orchard for B/W/R?

Yes he or she could. However, replacement effects would kick in and instead of placing B/W/R into their mana pool, they would place colorless mana.

There is one known way to gain color in your mana pool that is not of your commander's colors, and that's by using Harvest Mage, which creates it's own replacement effect. And state based actions then allow you to choose which replacement effect works.

However, that requires one creature, plus a discarded card to generate mana outside of your normal color, that would normally be thought of for using to stave off cards like M'tenda Lion or Quenchable Fire, or using something you stole's abilities.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-22 5:12 pm 

Additionally, the commander rules don't keep you from producing mana of an illegal type. They just add colorless mana to your pool instead. That's why you can't Drain Power to get off-color mana (even though the mana is the same mana produced by the original source with any of its bonuses and restrictions (like Hall of the Bandit Lord or Pillar of the Paruns).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-23 3:16 pm 

MRHblue wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if that's new/old compared to what I read. I will have to track that down. I would have sworn a rules guru from the Mothership rules the other way. TO THE INTERNET!

Nope. The Harvest Mage trick does work. You just need a land that can produce an off color. Then you apply the commander rules replacement effect first, then the harvest mage's. Hall of Gemstone works too. As does Pulse of Llanowar if you steal an off color basic land from an opponent or use other shenanigans to make your basic land able to tap for off-colors. Naked Singularity, Contamination, Infernal Darkness, and Infernal Darkness can also do it if your opponent plays them.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-23 7:04 pm 

Sorry for getting you guys off topic, so is it an consensus that the 5 color player could get any color from Exotic Orchard even if his opponent is only playing 2 colors? Being that their City of Brass CAN produce any color but they can only add G or U without it getting replaced with colorless?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-23 10:46 pm 

Again, what difference does it make if it never gets added to his pool?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-24 12:30 pm 

MRHblue wrote:
Again, what difference does it make if it never gets added to his pool?

Am I missing something? Is my example unclear? The person controlling the Exotic Orchard is playing a 5 color commander. No mana they add from it would be replaced with colorless.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next