Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-15 3:51 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-28 10:21 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
For the purposes of Experiment Kraj, activated abilities that include the card's name get copied exactly, or with "Experiment Kraj" in place of the original name? I've always assumed the second, but I want to be sure.

You are correct. Abilities that refer to their card name actually say "this card" for the purposes of copying those abilities.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-28 11:05 am 

That's what I thought. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-28 4:03 pm 

So, I have a rules question regarding Daretti, Scrap Savant and Possessed Portal

If I use the Portal's ability to sacrifice a card, since both it and Daretti's emblem say "end of turn", would that mean that I then have to recur that artifact then? And if so, does that mean that sacrificing the Portal causes an infinite combo of saccing it then recurring it until the end of time?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-28 4:14 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
So, I have a rules question regarding Daretti, Scrap Savant and Possessed Portal

If I use the Portal's ability to sacrifice a card, since both it and Daretti's emblem say "end of turn", would that mean that I then have to recur that artifact then? And if so, does that mean that sacrificing the Portal causes an infinite combo of saccing it then recurring it until the end of time?

There are two things wrong with this.

First of all, the Portal only triggers once per turn: at the start of the End step. Even if you recur the Portal during the End step its triggered ability won't trigger again until the following End step.

Also, Daretti's Emblem states that it comes back at the BEGINNING of the NEXT End step. Since you're already in the End step, it'll come back next turn. And even if it came back in the same End step, you're past "the start of the End step" so it wouldn't trigger anyway.

Either way, your "infinite draw combo" (as in, an infinite combo that leads to a draw) doesn't. You'll sac the Possessed Portal to itself, Daretti's Emblem will trigger, then at the start of the next End step you'll recur it, then at the start of the NEXT End step the Possessed Portal will trigger again (I.e. two turns later).

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-28 4:28 pm 

The emblem returns at the beginning of the next end step so if you sacrifice it at the end step you would get it back at the next end step, not the current one. Beginning of a phase only happens once. When things happen at the beginning then subsequent things happen "during" the phase.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-29 11:55 pm 

So if Stitcher Geralf hits Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Worldspine Wurm and Darksteel Colossus, What happens?

I'm pretty sure that Ulamog and Worldspine's "when this is put into your graveyard" abilities go on the stack (as they are triggered abilities) and the Colossus never actually goes to the graveyard (because it's a replacement effect), then Geralf's ability finishes resolving, which would allow it to exile Ulamog and/or the Wurm, but I'm not sure.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 1:02 am 

GraphiteGolem wrote:

Ragnarok?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Ulamog and Worldspine's "when this is put into your graveyard" abilities go on the stack (as they are triggered abilities) and the Colossus never actually goes to the graveyard (because it's a replacement effect), then Geralf's ability finishes resolving, which would allow it to exile Ulamog and/or the Wurm, but I'm not sure.

I believe you are correct.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 1:06 am 

Colossus is never in the graveyard, so you can't pick it for Geralf. Ulamog and Worldspine are still there and can be chosen. Ulamog's trigger will go off and shuffle in the rest of your graveyard afterwards. Worldspine's trigger will also resolve, but it will not cause you to shuffle again because there is no object in the set that you are instructed to "shuffle in."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 3:05 am 

Thanks for confirming that, folks. I will put Geralf back on my list of commanders to eventually build around. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 3:10 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Worldspine's trigger will also resolve, but it will not cause you to shuffle again because there is no object in the set that you are instructed to "shuffle in."

They changed that in the rules after they updated the tuck rule. There is no reason to physically shuffle it again, but you are still going to trigger Cosi's Trickster or Psychogenic Probe.

Quote:
701.16c If an effect would cause a player to shuffle one or more specific objects into a library, that library is shuffled even if none of those objects are in the zone they’re expected to be in or an effect causes all of those objects to be moved to another zone or remain in their current zone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 2:31 pm 

GraphiteGolem wrote:
So if Stitcher Geralf hits Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Worldspine Wurm and Darksteel Colossus, What happens?

In addition to what other people have said, please note the triggered abilities from Ulamog and Worldspine don't actually go onto the stack until after Geralf's ability is finished resolving. See, the triggers still occur mid-resolving, but nothing actually gets put onto the stack until the next time state-based actions are checked. They aren't checked mid-resolution, or that would create all kinds of crazy messes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-04 5:17 pm 

If I have Vicious Shadows on the board, and an opponent plays Planar Cleansing, the shadows still trigger, right?

I'm a big fan of plain old Greed. - intrepid
Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Member of Project Every-Deck
Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-04 6:46 pm 

Everblight wrote:
If I have Vicious Shadows on the board, and an opponent plays Planar Cleansing, the shadows still trigger, right?

In the same way that a Blood Artist will also "see" the other creatures dying when someone wraths, yes.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-05 12:03 am 

zimagic wrote:
Everblight wrote:

In the same way that a Blood Artist will also "see" the other creatures dying when someone wraths, yes.

Zimagic is right, but it is worth pointing out that this won't work with Austere Command. Planar Cleansing destroys everything at once. Austere Command destroys (in order and separately because it is separate instructions) artifacts, enchantments, little guys, then big guys.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-22 6:32 pm 

BKM, the FAQ still reflects the mana producing rule.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next