Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 8:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-02 11:57 am 

Chiky wrote:
Dumb question: Can I use proxy basic lands in my deck? Let's say the thickness of the cardboard is the same, can basic lands be proxied in commander? I read somewhere that as it's not a DCI sanctioned format you could proxy basic lands for normal tournaments, but i'm not sure if it's actually true...

You can't use proxies or fakes in any sanctioned event (except proxies of cards damaged during a particular tournament), so it depends on what you mean by normal tournament? So if it's not sanctioned, that depends on your store's view on proxies if they have one, in addition to what others mentioned; how your playgroup feels about you using alt art/thicker/fake cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-04 3:23 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Chiky wrote:
Dumb question: Can I use proxy basic lands in my deck? Let's say the thickness of the cardboard is the same, can basic lands be proxied in commander? I read somewhere that as it's not a DCI sanctioned format you could proxy basic lands for normal tournaments, but i'm not sure if it's actually true...

I guess the first question I want to ask is why you would need/want to proxy basic lands - the cheapest cards out there.

Regardless, there is no official EDH rule that allows proxying of anything. As such, whether you can do this is subject to the whims of whomever you are playing with.

It'd be for custom art :)
I don't know how proxy works compared with alters for example, but alters are WAY more expensive

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-04 3:50 am 

Chiky wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Chiky wrote:

I guess the first question I want to ask is why you would need/want to proxy basic lands - the cheapest cards out there.

Regardless, there is no official EDH rule that allows proxying of anything. As such, whether you can do this is subject to the whims of whomever you are playing with.

It'd be for custom art :)
I don't know how proxy works compared with alters for example, but alters are WAY more expensive

So first directly from the MTR:

"Artistic modifications are acceptable in sanctioned tournaments, provided that the modifications do not make the card art unrecognizable, contain substantial strategic advice, or contain offensive images. Artistic modifications also may not obstruct or change the mana cost or name of the card.
The Head Judge is the final authority on acceptable cards for a tournament." http://www.wizards.com/contentresources/wizards/wpn/main/documents/magic_the_gathering_tournament_rules_pdf1.pdf

It cannot be Marked:

"Players are responsible for ensuring that their cards and/or card sleeves are not marked during the course of the tournament. A card or sleeve is considered marked if it bears something that makes it possible to identify the card without seeing its face, including scratches, discoloration, and bends.
If a player’s cards are sleeved, the cards must be examined while in the sleeves to determine if they are marked. Players should use care when sleeving their decks and should randomize their decks prior to sleeving them to reduce the possibility of cards becoming marked with a pattern. Players should also keep in mind that cards or sleeves may become worn and potentially marked through play during the course of a tournament.
The Head Judge has the authority to determine if a card in a player’s deck is marked. Judges may request that a player remove his or her current sleeves or replace any of the deck’s current sleeves immediately, or before the next round. "

So if you were to print out a card it would be considered illegal/proxy. If you were to print out a new face and glue it that would change the thickness and it would be a marked card.If you printed directly on an actual card that would likely not change the thickness but you are flirting with some illegalness as well. Now if you are not playing in a tournament/card shop and instead playing at a friends house that all that really matters is your friends opinions. If they don't care than do it, if they do then you have to either comply or convince.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-04 3:57 am 

that's really helpful, thank you :)
I'll ask my friend if they are okay with that

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-05 1:02 pm 

Fun fact, there is a corner case where proxies are now officially legal and sometimes mandatory in Legacy and Vintage!

Apparently Kess, Dissident Mage has become playable in those formats. Since she was printed in a precon, literally all versions of her are foil, which means that a great many of them are heavily warped and therefore break the thickness rule. Therefore, in order to play her in your deck, you need to go show your deck to a judge, who will provide you with proxies for the Kess's.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-06 8:30 am 

That only applies if your foils are curled, or if she's your only foil and too curled. Also notable, you can't get already damaged cards proxied for an event unless it's in Kess's situation (only comes in foil). I've played Kess (and alters) in large sanctioned Vintage and Legacy events with no issues, but my cards are flat though (and a lot of it is foil so they would blend in mostly the same anyway). Kess was sort of (temporarily) soft banned by CFB when judges wouldn't allow proxies at first but then they created checklist cards for them.

There was a pic of a proxy a judge made for a Kess once that was quite laughable, actually. They put a sticky note onto a card. Ugh.

But also, don't do anything suspicious like 58 nonfoils and 2 foil Jace, or 60 nonfoils but 15 foil sb cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-05 10:19 am 

Quick question on split cards that have two separate card types (e.g., Struggle//Survive or Discovery//Dispersal):

When they're not on the stack, they still have both card types, right?

Example:

Can Nucklavee return Struggle//Survive from a graveyard even though the "red half" is an instant, not a sorcery?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-05 10:25 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Quick question on split cards that have two separate card types (e.g., Struggle//Survive or Discovery//Dispersal):

When they're not on the stack, they still have both card types, right?

Example:

Can Nucklavee return Struggle//Survive from a graveyard even though the "red half" is an instant, not a sorcery?

Yes, the card has both card types when in any zone not the stack. Rule 708.4 covers what a split card's characteristics are in this case.

Comprehensive Rules wrote:
708.4c A split card has each card type specified on either of its halves and each ability in the text box of each half.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-05 10:51 am 

That's what I had thought, just had a spot of nagging doubt. Say thankya.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-05 3:16 pm 

Interesting development: now that Modern Horizons has printed Kess, the aforementioned fact of mine earlier on this page will presumably no longer be true going forward, as there will be plenty of nonfoil versions of her.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-05 5:18 pm 

Another round of "did I make the right judgment?"

Can 13 activations of Outrider en-Kor (or similar) save themselves from Blasphemous Act by redirecting all 13 damage to a creature that would be dying anyway?

Said differently, does the redirection use the stack? I don't think it's a triggered ability- -just 13 separate and concurrent replacement effects, right?

(In the moment, I decided that the Outrider could redirect all 13 to a helpless bystander. Essentially, the Blasphemous Act dealt 26 to one creature all at once.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-05 7:43 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
Another round of "did I make the right judgment?"

Can 13 activations of Outrider en-Kor (or similar) save themselves from Blasphemous Act by redirecting all 13 damage to a creature that would be dying anyway?

Said differently, does the redirection use the stack? I don't think it's a triggered ability- -just 13 separate and concurrent replacement effects, right?

(In the moment, I decided that the Outrider could redirect all 13 to a helpless bystander. Essentially, the Blasphemous Act dealt 26 to one creature all at once.)

You made the right call. All 13 damage gets redirected, and the helpless bystander takes 26 damage and dies.

Damage redirection is a replacement effect. Outrider en-Kor sets up a "shield" in advance of the event and then that "shield" replaces that event immediately before it happens, just like Regeneration.

In this case you had to activate Outrider 13 times before Blasphemous Act resolved, targeting the helpless bystander creature as you activate them, so you've chosen who will receive the damage in advance.

During B.Act's resolution, the damage that would be dealt to Outrider is replaced by damage to the helpless bystander. Essentially immediately before B.Act would deal its damage its effect is modified from "deals 13 damage to each creature" to "deals 13 damage to each creature, except 0 to the Outrider, and 26 to the helpless bystander." Because we're still busy resolving a spell, helpless bystander sticks around for the full amount of damage and isn't removed yet. Then once B.Act finishes resolving we check state based actions and the helpless bystander is removed from the battlefield.

You cannot redirect damage to a creature that isn't there anymore, but the helpless bystander creature is there for the entire process here. Not being able to redirect damage to a creature that isn't there anymore is more about the following scenario: you activate Outrider's ability six times targeting a 1/1. Then someone Lightning Bolts your Outrider, and the three damage is redirected to the 1/1, killing it. Then they Lightning Bolt your Outrider again -- since the 1/1 is no longer around this three damage isn't redirected at all and Outrider dies.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-06 2:08 am 

Perfect. That's the argument I was making, but laid out significantly nicer.

Thank you muchly!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-08 3:59 am 

A couple of dumb questions about the banlist on the main page:

1. Everyone knows by now that Protean Hulk is not banned, so why does it still appear on the list crossed out?

2. This question is a big one and it relates to a change in the banlist that I want most of all: Why does Sundering Titan appear after Sway of the Stars on the list. I, for one, must implore the RC to switch them around so that they may be in the proper order. They might also do the same with the Moxen.

3. Now that I look at it, the same goes with Channel and Coalition Victory. Can't this issue be corrected?

4. Now that I REALLY look at it, the same now goes for Paradox Engine too. It should totally go AFTER Panoptic Mirror. This is just unacceptable. The banlist has never been in such disorder. The banlist must be changed to correct this immediately. It will be the best change you could ever ask for.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-08 11:25 am 

Banlist Update:
The banlist is abolished until RC purchases a dictionary. More to come soon.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next