Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-13 1:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2014-Dec-29 9:08 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
Not to ruin the thread, but...

Careful, questions that are not dumb may cause the thread to self implode! :mrgreen:

Jeyal wrote:
Can I play Canal Dredger?

Yes, you can play any vintage legal card that's not on the banned list. Canal Dredger only really exploits every aspect of the card when you use it in draft, but it's still legal in Vintage, just the draft-related text becomes irrelevant if you play it outside of a draft format.

I find this guy particularly good in Grenzo, Dungeon Warden: Low power (you'll always flip it if you hit it on a Grenzo activation), high toughness (good blocker in a deck that has few) and an ability that interacts positively with your general (fuels dead cards to the bottom of your deck for Grenzo to flip again)

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-03 7:14 am 

zimagic wrote:
Canal Dredger only really exploits every aspect of the card when you use it in draft, but it's still legal in Vintage, just the draft-related text becomes irrelevant if you play it outside of a draft format.

Fair enough. And yes, its for a Grenzo deck as Junktroller #2.

And thanks.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-04 3:33 pm 

Masked Thespian wrote:
Sovarius wrote:
Neither guarantee a token. I would rule neither of these can be done with Workshop mana.

It's about the intent. The spell COULD generate a token therefore using Workshop on it is legal, even if the actual resolution doesn't end up in a token being generated.

We are past it now since i haven't been on in 8 days, but i was referring to when someone said Workshop should be ok on Cellar Door but then said not ok for Rally.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-05 2:35 pm 

Hi everyone, im new to the forum not to commander though, I've usually been able to just read what you guys or other sites post to fix my answers, but the time has finally come where i either am finally to lazy to look or it just genuinely hasn't been asked.

So fate reforged is coming out, neat little, some cool commander cards AND DRAGON TRIBAL (actually awesome enough to bring me back to lame-o standard) and some legendary cards have gotten released. Namely are the khan secondhand person, like yasova dragonclaw. So these cards are legendary and have a mono colored identity. Continuing with yasova, he is a green card (green border) and has green mana in his cost and no other color. However he has an ability that is hybrid. So, When a monocolored commander has a hybrid ability, what happens there? Is just you can still use it but when you try to tap to activate you still get colorless and just cant use the ability making them useless, or what? Im guessing what i said, but kinda just wanted to know if anyone had the official ruling on it if it exists, Cheers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-06 1:54 am 

Color Identity = all the mana symbols on the card. Except rinder text, which doesn't technically exist.

So with a Green in casting cost, and Red/Blue in the text box the Color Identity of the cars is RUG. You have all three.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-12 5:39 am 

Hi,everyone. I wonder if a legendary creature has [delve] and it has been cast from the command zone once. Could I also use its [delve] to pay the additional {2} when the twice?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-12 9:35 am 

Yep. Whenever you cast a spell, you first take the mana cost of the spell, then add any cost increases (such as the commander tax), and then apply any cost decreases (such as delve).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-12 11:11 am 

Carthain wrote:
Yep. Whenever you cast a spell, you first take the mana cost of the spell, then add any cost increases (such as the commander tax), and then apply any cost decreases (such as delve).

Delve isn't a cost reducer anymore... It's paying the mana cost by exiling cards. You're still paying the cards full CMC plus any modifiers, you just pay part of it with exile instead of floated mana.

It doesn't really change anything with this example but it is relevant for cards like Trinisphere.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-12 2:22 pm 

Oh, whoops. Right you are.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-19 8:23 am 

dumb question : Am i a horrible person for wanting to play the following cards : Mana Web Mana Flare, Storm Cauldron and Sands of Time and lastly, Helm of Awakening

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-19 8:38 am 

trappedslider wrote:
dumb question : Am i a horrible person for wanting to play the following cards : Mana Web Mana Flare, Storm Cauldron and Sands of Time and lastly, Helm of Awakening

Probably. This thread is for rules-related questions though, so you should probably discuss your perceived malfeasance elsewhere.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-19 8:50 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
trappedslider wrote:

Probably. This thread is for rules-related questions though, so you should probably discuss your perceived malfeasance elsewhere.

It says "and dumb questions" :P

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-27 11:10 pm 

trappedslider wrote:

Not really. In my experience Mana Web is more annoying than disrupting. The rest wil often backfire on the abuser.

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-26 2:13 pm 

24x30cl wrote:
trappedslider wrote:

Not really. In my experience Mana Web is more annoying than disrupting. The rest wil often backfire on the abuser.

I only ended up going with Mana Flare and Helm of Awakening

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-26 2:34 pm 

If I Threaten Tuktuk the Explorer, then sacrifice him after the attack I get acTuktuk returned token. The question is, if the Tuktuk player is later eliminated, do I keep the tokeN or does it go away like Tuktuk would?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next