Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 12:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: House Rules Thread
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-27 8:38 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Question for those of you who house rule Magister Sphinx and Sorin to set life totals to 20: do you allow a player to set their own total to 20?

Well, Sorin can't target it's controller to begin with. As for Sphinx, while my group plays the cards as written, a couple of the nearby groups errata Sorin/Sphinx/Ascendant. They all let you Sphinx yourself to 20 as well.

For mulligans, we usually use the "standard" partial Paris. Though again, most of the nearby groups differ, (they generally use the "partial Paris with 1 free") and if we have a couple of those players playing with us, we'll often use the "partial Paris with 1 free" rule instead of our normal one.

The main reason we don't like freemulligans normally, is that, in our experience, it tends to encourage sloppy deckbuilding, (Not enough lands, or badly balanced lands) since it makes it easier to get away with.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-30 10:51 am 

smash10101 wrote:
We have two HUGE house rules that I think would be good additions to, at the very least, the optional rules. The first rule is that if anything cares about a specific life total, like felidar sovereign or sorin markov, we change it chalice of life style. That means Felidar Sovereign now reads "if you have at least 20 life more than your starting total" and Sorin sets your life total to 10 less than your starting total (some people want 20 since he halves). This makes the game much more fair in my opinion, and yes, I do actually play felidar sovereign and test of endurance, the ruling means that you need to have some support for them and can't just throw a sovereign into any goodstuff deck. This also makes serra ascendant a lot worse, and resulted in her(?) leaving the meta.

We also run this house rule, as it prevents the silliness of Divinity of Pride, Felidar Sovereign and Serra Ascendant auto-triggering in commander. I run a Trostani, Selesnya's Voice deck in our games and it works fairly well, but still gives other players an opportunity to get me below 60 or 70 life for the extra win-con cards.

We also rule infect as wither, and just ignore poison counters altogether. This allows us to use otherwise decent infect creatures (read: Blightsteel Colossus) without worrying about how many poison counters cause a player to lose. Poison generally isn't a fun mechanic anyway and I don't think anyone has considered using any of the other cards that reference them.

I really like the exile mulligan rule, just to cut down on shuffles. Works well in a friendly environment with a simple "don't abuse this" disclaimer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-30 4:58 pm 

aramul wrote:
We also run this house rule, as it prevents the silliness of Divinity of Pride, Felidar Sovereign and Serra Ascendant auto-triggering in commander

Murder does that too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-02 4:55 am 

It might be more of a "format variant" than a house rule but starting the game with a "emblem of mindlock orb" cuts way, way down on the abusable stuff and opens the format up to alternative strategies. Since you can't just tutor for the best cards, you have to increase the variety of stuff in your deck, and that leads to a variety of play experiences.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-02 5:11 am 

niheloim wrote:
aramul wrote:
We also run this house rule, as it prevents the silliness of Divinity of Pride, Felidar Sovereign and Serra Ascendant auto-triggering in commander

Murder does that too.

So do threats of mental harm should you be stupid enough to play Felidar Sovereign in a game I'm in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-02 7:41 am 

There's a local group that plays without the Commander damage rule.

I their reasoning is that the cards most likely to win with Commander damage (like Rafiq of the Many) do enough damage that it's not much harder to go ahead and deal 40 with them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-02 7:50 am 

Kemev wrote:
There's a local group that plays without the Commander damage rule.

I their reasoning is that the cards most likely to win with Commander damage (like Rafiq of the Many) do enough damage that it's not much harder to go ahead and deal 40 with them.

I suppose they also play with 40 Poison counters to win as well? I'm curious what percentage of groups house rule the number of Poison counters to win. In my experience, it's usually 15 whenever I play against someone else. I'm still staunchly at 10 though, personally.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-02 8:18 am 

I dunno what they do for poison. They might be like the poster earlier in this thread whose group avoids playing infect so they don't have to figure it out.

I'll try to remember to ask next time I see 'em.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-02 1:13 pm 

I'm sad to see so much Poison hate. Poison is really one of the only viable Aggro strategies available in EDH.
And by that I mean an Aggro strategy which actually allows a player to win, versus simply knocking out 1 or 2 players before running out of steam and dying.

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-02 1:20 pm 

Haven't seen it enough to know, but is 15 too much for poison to be viable still?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-03 12:33 am 

niheloim wrote:
Haven't seen it enough to know, but is 15 too much for poison to be viable still?

I think people feel it necessary to push the limit up to 15 because they either saw Skithiryx or Rafiq take out several players in short order with Poison. Requiring 15 Poison counters usually means it takes an additional hit or more per player to make the strategy work. Heck, the first EDH deck I built and played (I actually tried to get into the format earlier, but the moment I built a deck suddenly all of the EDH players disappeared--I swear there's no coincidence) was Skittles, and slapping on Lashwrithe was usually game without spot removal.

But then that "usually" slowly became "almost never." And that why...
tempesteye wrote:
I'm sad to see so much Poison hate. Poison is really one of the only viable Aggro strategies available in EDH.
And by that I mean an Aggro strategy which actually allows a player to win, versus simply knocking out 1 or 2 players before running out of steam and dying.

...I completely agree with tempesteye. Without trying to play as competitively as possible, it's just not the most reliable strategy. Making it harder to win with the Poison strategy (meaning actually dedicating your deck to it, not just ramming Grafted Exoskeleton into any deck) just cuts down on the diversity of decks.

Kemev wrote:
I dunno what they do for poison. They might be like the poster earlier in this thread whose group avoids playing infect so they don't have to figure it out.

I'll try to remember to ask next time I see 'em.

It was more out of aggravation I even brought it up. I have several decks which rely on the 21 general damage as a possible out if I can't win another way, and dialing it up to 40 would mean I wouldn't even be able to play those decks. For instance, my current Aurelia, the Warleader build is about Red and White pump effects specifically, but it's not Voltron. That 21 damage is very important if I can't get in the total 40 damage with other creatures. Without it, I'd be forced to take the entire deck apart and make it Voltron, or find some other strategy.

If it works for them, then great. I'd just be really, really frustrated by being limited in the number effective strategies I could play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-03 3:34 am 

Segrus wrote:
If it works for them, then great. I'd just be really, really frustrated by being limited in the number effective strategies I could play.

I don't pretend it's a good house rule... it's a house rule though :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-03 2:02 pm 

Actually in my playgrup we also ignore the commander damage rule. I don't like, I don't feel satisfied to not fully kill or be killed by a player by life points.

On the other hand, infect is only 10. Why? Because it cool the idea to have an actually playable Phage the Untouchable in the battlefield like the blighsteel colossus (lots of adrenaline when he hit the board). 95% of the other infect cards in EDH are so weak that is not worthed even doing a deck around (Skythrix is the other exception, but usually who play that deck gets really lot of hate from the rest of the table)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-03 2:44 pm 

tempesteye wrote:

Many people use poison as a 'gotcha' mechanic. They play the stuff that turns a normal deck temporarily into a poison deck to one shot someone out of an otherwise ongoing and interesting game. It is a resource that is not tracked from the start of the game so is not managed until it is too late because it is so narrow and often forgotten about until it is too late. It is unfun to have to consider if tainted strike or that stupid overrun thing is about to happen. The mechanic would be fine with about 4 cards removed, but those 4 cards really, really piss people off.

If you have an agro poison deck that puts people on notice, then it is probably fun. If you are one-shotting people with stupid crap like grafted exoskeleton, then more often than not, people aren't going to have had a good time playing cards with you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-22 8:04 am 

I'm late to the conversation, but I thought I would add the house rules we use as well.

1 free mulligan. I never thought about the exiling rule until I came across this thread. Any mulligans after work as normal, just draw one card less.

No decks with excessive land destruction. No decks revolving around infect/poison. No infinite loops.

We currently use the accepted banned list and added Iona to the list. We try to play in a friendly social setting. :D

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next