Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 11:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: House Rules Thread
AgePosted: 2013-Oct-26 4:46 am 

We run a variant at our LGS league (player run not store run) where we usually play with something we call the "No Stone".

The "No Stone" is a global artifact that cannot be removed from the game. Its basic point is to try to balance deck powers so that new players to both the format and the playgroup feel more welcome.

Its rules include things like:
"A player can't take more then 3 consecutive terms" (just enough to allow a Time Stretch)
"A player can't draw more then 20 cards per turn cycle" (helps limit some combo decks)
"A player can only use 7 activated abilities per turn" (again limits some combos by preventing most infinite mana generation)
"There is a 5 spell limit for storm counts" (we initially tried this as a 5 spell per turn limit but found that a player had a disadvantage in things like counter wars on his on turn)
"If a spell or ability would cause all of a players lands to be destroyed instead destroy 75% rounded down" (helps prevent most MLD strategies while keeping cards like Cataclysm still powerful)

I think that's all of them. I'm so used to them that I tailor a lot of my decks to the rules naturally and rarely run into an issue where I have to actively remember them.

While a lot of players find these to be very constricting rules (particularly combo players) we find that they help lengthen games without making them excessively long (usually) and they really help some weaker decks actually have a chance against high powered decks. While the high powered decks still have an advantage they no longer blow weaker decks out of the water 100% of the games.

We feel that EDH, being the social format that it is, is all about players having a decent time interval in the game so that they can see cards and dig out some of their fun plays. We feel that games that degenerate into races about who can combo out fastest end up being to short and not enjoyable for most of the players at the table.

Enabling those feelings about the format is the entire purpose of the "No Stone".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-26 12:30 pm 

I run an infect deck with my playgroup with the following rule:

A player does not lose the game for having 10 or more poison counters unless every player except for 1 has 10 or more poison counters

It becomes less of a gotcha mechanic and more of an alternate way to win: you don't have to do as much damage, but you have to do that damage evenly for it to have any effect. It also creates interesting board states, as the player with 10+ poison counters I hit early on all of a sudden has a huge interest in keeping me from striking out at other players.

It also makes me less of a target early on, so everyone's happier with it

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-28 11:13 pm 

bigbear wrote:
"A player can only use 7 activated abilities per turn" (again limits some combos by preventing most infinite mana generation)

does this count tapping basic land? Makes it hard to play cards that cost more than 7

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-26 6:58 pm 

If someone restarts the game or starts a subgame, any number of other people may join into that restarted game or subgame.

Nephilim are Legendary creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-28 8:41 am 

I've had quite a few house rules in my playgroups. Not all of these are in effect at once and some of them didn't stick, but I'll list them for completeness anyway:

1) Generally, Partial paris with one free mulligan. Casual players tended to get more leeway with this -- for example, we'd let them mulligan as many times as they needed as long as they didn't abuse that, and generally none of them did -- while more serious or competitive players were held to a tighter standard.

2) Karn Liberated's ultimate could resurrect dead players who wanted to be back in the game.

3) Ruination only hit lands which have a non-mana activated ability a la Tsabo's Web, since that's usually why people ran it and me and a couple of others had fairly colour greedy mana bases fuelling non-abusive decks. This one was decided on a game-by-game basis.

4) Sorin Markov's second ability was sometimes house ruled to not exist (as in, it wasn't just a "don't use this unless necessary" thing -- you just weren't allowed to activate it, period). Generally only to accommodate a couple of people who wanted to run him for flavour reasons. Same usually went for other antisocial abilities people were running for non-antisocial reasons.

5) Consecrated Sphinx can't trigger off another Consecrated Sphinx.

6) Infinite combos were generally allowed, as long as you didn't just use the same one to win every game or anything like that, but sometimes we had a "once only" rule -- you were allowed to try to go off, but if you were disrupted, you weren't allowed to try again if you somehow managed to recur the relevant cards.

Obviously, most of this was just for the more casual of my playgroups, where everyone was playing for fun and there wasn't really anyone who felt strongly enough about winning to try to abuse them. Which isn't to say we just durdled around without interaction, but we generally wanted to put the kibosh on out-of-nowhere "well, that just sucks" moments.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-23 9:51 pm 

Our house rules (not store rules) are infect of 20 points, though if someone decides to be cute and play skittles they usually are the first to be removed from the game.

No Dead-Eye.

If 6 people want to play we made a variant called Hydra thats basically 3HG. 120 Life, 40 combined commander damage (from any commanders on the opposing team) and 25 infect.

Store rules for casual Wednesdays follow the standard commander rules and banlist.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-30 2:46 am 

Following the new tuck rules and subsequent complaints afterwards, we made a local-rules change:

if a commander would be moved into a graveyard or hand and the player wants to move it to the command zone, the commander tax goes up 2.
If a commander would be exiled or moved into the library and the player wants it moved to the command zone, the commander tax goes up 4 instead.

we've always found it a bit bizarre that swords to plowshares's exile kill effect is as effective as terror even though the innate mechanics of the base game is costed so it wouldn't be.

of the weeks we've tried and tested it, it seems to be playing out well. we tried other numbers, but found that in the end, having even commander tax costs makes things simpler, and the system we have it now seems to make the most sense (to us).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-30 3:18 am 

schweinefettmann wrote:
Following the new tuck rules and subsequent complaints afterwards, we made a local-rules change:

if a commander would be moved into a graveyard or hand and the player wants to move it to the command zone, the commander tax goes up 2.
If a commander would be exiled or moved into the library and the player wants it moved to the command zone, the commander tax goes up 4 instead.

we've always found it a bit bizarre that swords to plowshares's exile kill effect is as effective as terror even though the innate mechanics of the base game is costed so it wouldn't be.

of the weeks we've tried and tested it, it seems to be playing out well. we tried other numbers, but found that in the end, having even commander tax costs makes things simpler, and the system we have it now seems to make the most sense (to us).

I like this approach a lot, and it seems like it helps deal with the most irritating aspect of the gods in a reasonable way since they'll almost always be ticking up by 4s instead of 2s.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-30 3:20 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Interestingly, we discussed a 2 for graveyard, 3 for exile and 4 for library approach. It was cool, but we didn't think it was worth the extra bookkeeping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-01 12:20 am 

schweinefettmann wrote:

I like that this isn't "We really want tuck! aaaaa!" but a much more level headed approach of "How can we find a nice common ground between the official rules and what we want"?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-01 12:36 am 

That's actually a really good balance. The extra book keeping really only comes in because exile isnt a multiple of 2. Most people count the number of times cast on a die. 2-4-6 would work with this system easily enough, but 6 is a bit hefty. And 4 already rewards the best removal.
I think we might try 2-3-4 and see.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-03 10:10 pm 

niheloim wrote:
That's actually a really good balance. The extra book keeping really only comes in because exile isnt a multiple of 2. Most people count the number of times cast on a die. 2-4-6 would work with this system easily enough, but 6 is a bit hefty. And 4 already rewards the best removal.
I think we might try 2-3-4 and see.

I'm not exactly sure that upping the cost is fair. That nukes the aggro decks that already struggle. Isamaru and Thalia decks then become really hard to play because the already represented effects hit harder.

Swords to Plowshares has even less of a drawback in EDH. Why would you need to buff it? They also made tucking not a think so it was like other kinds of removal. Why would they then change it this soon?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-04 8:01 pm 

swords to plowshares and friends are few and far between instant white-exiling effects that gives that player a 'buff' in return. its powerful, but unrestricted exile-removal is designed to be powerful, and should be that way, even in edh.

how does it nuke aggro decks? you mean by saving up exile/tuck effects for aggro players? i think it leads to pretty interesting gameplay. and besides, most aggro players i've seen are good enough to know when to extend and when to hold back.

Anyways, we did actually use +2 for graveyard, +3 for exile and +4 for tuck, but the +3 was pretty irritating to deal with. we stupidly used 3 different coloured die for each type of commander tax, and then calculated it every time we needed it. So if my 3 die had 5-2-1, it meant that hes been destroyed 5 times, exiled twice and tucked once, giving a grand total of +20 in commander tax - looked cool, but waaay too complicated. If i remember correctly, we started with +1, +2, +3, then realised it was a bit too low, moved it to +2, +3, +4, thought it was too complicated, then to +2, +4.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-05 1:20 am 

I think 2 for destroying, 3 for exiling, 4 for tucking is also weird because exiling is better removal in the abstract than tucking; it is only an artifact of the old rule that makes people think tuck is stronger (consider whether you'd rather have your Wurmcoil Engine hit with Deglamer or Revoke Existance).

2/4/4 seems much better for bookkeeping and keeps the hierarchy set up close to how it works for everything except commanders.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-10 11:55 am 

That's definitely interesting. I myself was having a break from Magic when the change came and now that I've returned o my LGS, I was surprised when they told me "Oh, we don't aknowledge that rule, we play by the old tuck rules." I guess the environment is kinda casual there, nothing to really fear most of the time, the wins are fair.

But the idea of the increased tax strikes a chord with me. I especially feel kind of intuitive justice that you apply it to exiling as well. Plus it really drives home the difference between Day of Judgment and Final Judgment. To me, that counts.

The only downside is that under these rules, Derevi would be more of a b*tch than ever.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next