Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-21 5:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: House Rules Thread
AgePosted: 2015-Jun-26 3:37 pm 

QED wrote:
It might be more of a "format variant" than a house rule but starting the game with a "emblem of mindlock orb" cuts way, way down on the abusable stuff and opens the format up to alternative strategies. Since you can't just tutor for the best cards, you have to increase the variety of stuff in your deck, and that leads to a variety of play experiences.

If you're gonna do that, why not do an Emblem of Stranglehold instead?

schweinefettmann wrote:
we've always found it a bit bizarre that swords to plowshares's exile kill effect is as effective as terror even though the innate mechanics of the base game is costed so it wouldn't be.

The "innate mechanics of the base game is costed" wait for it... WRONG. Terror is two mana and destroys a subset of creatures instead of any creature. Path to Exile/Swords to Plowshare cost 1 mana and exile ANY creature. Regardless of the "upside" they give the opponent, if all three of those cards were costed based on how effective they actually ARE, Terror would be the cheapest.

Now if you wanna compare Utter End to Vindicate, okay that argument makes sense. (Even then, Utter End is an instant which is usually worth an extra mana anyways.) But picking a horrible undercosted card and arguing that you don't get what you pay for with it?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-26 3:58 pm 

Daramath wrote:
Our house rules (not store rules) are infect of 20 points, though if someone decides to be cute and play skittles they usually are the first to be removed from the game.

Why do you care about Skittles? He deals literally one less damage than he would have to otherwise.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-26 8:47 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Daramath wrote:
Our house rules (not store rules) are infect of 20 points, though if someone decides to be cute and play skittles they usually are the first to be removed from the game.

Why do you care about Skittles? He deals literally one less damage than he would have to otherwise.

You can't proliferate general damage, but yeah, having 20 poison be lethal makes a meh general much more meh. Even killing one person would be hard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-13 8:57 am 

My play group has three things of note.

The first is that we allow the use of the Nephilim as commanders, because they're the only option for building a four color deck.

Second is we have an alternate hand drawing style (We call it "The Shane Selection Method" because Shane came up with it and alliterations are cool). Each play looks at the top card of their library and adds it to their hand, then looks at the top two and selects one to keep and discards the other(s). Then does the same thing for three (look at three choose one), four, five, six, and seven. The rejected cards are shuffled into the library.
Using this method each player sees 28 cards to build their hand from.

Third we banned two cards Food Chain and Iona, Shield of Emeria beacause Food Chain + Prossh, Skyraider of Kher is an stupidly op combo and because Mono-colored deck are locked down Iona, and that's not a fun way to win or lose.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-07 4:35 am 

I know what my magical christmasland house rules would be

- New Rules -

Tuck Rules Reinstated.
Players cannot take extra turns.

Attempting to render useless more than one land in a turn:
(Jokulhaups, Cataclysm, Blood Moon, Winter Orb, Back to Basics, Contamination, etc.)
causes instant game loss for the offending player.

- New Banned Cards -

Iona, Shield of Emeria

Deadeye Navigator
Consecrated Sphinx
Mind Over Matter
Palinchron
Jin-Gitaxias Core Augur
Omniscience

Necropotence
Ad Nauseam
Exquisite Blood
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

Purphoros, God of the Forge
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Food Chain
Greater Good
Craterhoof Behemoth
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger

Prophet of Kruphix

Mana Crypt
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Metalworker
Ashnod's Altar
Phyrexian Altar

Gaea's Cradle
Cabal Coffers
Ancient Tomb

- Banned As Commanders -

Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Braids, Cabal Minion
Animar, Soul of the Elements
Kaalia of the Vast
Narset, Enlightened Master

- Watch List -

Terastodon
Staff of Domination
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
Tooth & Nail
Tidespout Tyrant
Impact Tremors
Maelstrom Wanderer
Azusa, Lost but Seeking
Genesis Wave
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Arcum Dagsson
Zur the Enchanter
Sharuum the Hegemon

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-17 12:55 pm 

In my group I made an optional casual mulligan that saves A LOT of time.

Before you start the game you can pull 3 basic lands from your deck. You then shuffle and draw 4 cards. You now have your opening hand with little to no fear of getting mana screwed or color screwed. Due to this you have no excuse to mulligan so you wind up seeing a lot less turn 1 power plays as you cannot hunt out yout top, sol ring, or leylines.

This has been the most casual mull rule we have seen and games start quicker since you only shuffle once instead of having to wait for people to shuffle all their bad hands/cards away.

Only people that we have had complain about this are competetive players that value their opponent getting mana screwed over their opponent having a good time and actually being able to play the game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-17 3:16 pm 

scorpio2069 wrote:

Before you start the game you can pull 3 basic lands from your deck. You then shuffle and draw 4 cards. You now have your opening hand with little to no fear of getting mana screwed or color screwed. Due to this you have no excuse to mulligan so you wind up seeing a lot less turn 1 power plays as you cannot hunt out yout top, sol ring, or leylines.

This has been the most casual mull rule we have seen and games start quicker since you only shuffle once instead of having to wait for people to shuffle all their bad hands/cards away.

Only people that we have had complain about this are competetive players that value their opponent getting mana screwed over their opponent having a good time and actually being able to play the game.

If I started with a hand of basic basic basic 6-drop 6-drop 6-drop 8-drop... I'm taking a mulligan.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-18 5:06 am 

Gath Immortal wrote:

How do you not just ban Jokulhaups, Winter Orb, Back to Basics, et al?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-22 4:04 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Gath Immortal wrote:

How do you not just ban Jokulhaups, Winter Orb, Back to Basics, et al?

because that would look something like this:

Ajani Vengeant
Apocalypse
Armageddon
Back to Basics
Balancing Act
Bend of Break
Bearer of the Heavens
Blood Moon
Boom-Bust
Boil
Boiling Seas
Cataclysm
Catastrophe
Decree of Annihilation
Death Cloud
Devastation
Destructive Force
Desolation Angel
Epicenter
Flashfires
From the Ashes
Impending Disaster
Jokulhaups
Keldon Firebombers
Gilt-Leaf Archdruid
Global Ruin
Magus of the Moon
Mana Vortex
Myojin of Infinite Rage
Obliterate
Omen of Fire
Pox
Realm Razer
Ravages of War
Razia's Purification
Restore Balance
Rite of Ruin
Ruination
Sunder
Smokestack
Static Orb
Tectonic Break
Thoughts of Ruin
Tsunami
Wave of Vitriol
Wildfire
Winter Orb
Worldslayer

and those are just the cards I could think of off the top of my head

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-30 4:28 pm 

Current House Rules at my Kitchen Table:

1) about the mulligan: Partial Paris with first free and Scr1 under six cards.
2) All Planeswalkers can be used as Commanders
3) No Ban-List, we still argue if allow some silver-bordered or not. Everyone is responsible for the fun of the others.
4) Power level and functional errata's about the following cards:
4.a) Time Vault: last line is "{T}, Exile Time Vault: Take an extra turn after this one."
4.b) Karakas : {T}: Return target non-commander legendary creature to its owner's hand.
4.c) We don't play for Ante, but we want to allow Contract from Below with the following text "Discard your hand, exile the top card of your library then draw seven cards. Exile Contract from Below."
4.d) Yawgmoth Bargain: "Pay 1 life: Draw a card. Activate this ability only at sorcery speed and only if you have less than seven cards in hand."
4.e) Griselbrand : "Pay 7 life: Draw seven cards. Activate this ability only once for turn and in your turn."
5) No general damages.
6) No tuck rule even before was a thing
7) A land that produce any color, can actually produce any color and not only the ones from general CI. Good news for thief magic.
8 ) Some displease very much the Collusion in the game. We love it.
9) Proxies allowed if well printed. Even if is the whole deck.
10) Dont play offcolor fetches or we'll kill you in the sleep.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-28 10:14 am 

Uriel wrote:
Current House Rules at my Kitchen Table...

I like those house rules. Sounds like you play a lot like the spirit of my old group. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-29 8:04 am 

Uriel wrote:
Current House Rules at my Kitchen Table:

What is the though process behind generate any color mana, but not off-color fetches?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-05 10:06 am 

scorpio2069 wrote:

We did a house rule that let us put 3 basics from our deck in the command zone* and we could draw from there instead of our deck. (At least while there were basics left to draw in the pile.)

Then I played stuff like Krenko and Talrand which are designed to function off of 4 mana...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-04 3:26 am 

Some adjustments we made:

Sideboards - 10 Cards, color identity, singleton rules apply (mainly for wishes and Spawnsire of Ulamog).

Unglued/Unhinged - If the card could be legitmately printed as a real magic card. (Rabid Sheep, Jack-in-the-Mox, etc.)

Unbanned - Primeval Titan (There are plenty of cards scarier than this, and Oblivion Sower is just as busted.)

Sol Ring (and Mana Crypt) - Can't be played until turn two. (Seems to reduce the oppressiveness quite a bit).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-04 3:33 am 

Quote:
Unglued/Unhinged - If the card could be legitmately printed as a real magic card. (Rabid Sheep, Jack-in-the-Mox, etc.)

I played Clambassadors in Zedruu. Good times.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next