Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Nov-21 9:22 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 9:55 am 

Joined: 2012-Apr-11 7:17 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Omni-Blade wrote:
I would like to thank the Admin of MTGcommander.net for ruining commander for our play group. Banning Prophet of Kruphix now allows for the control player who play Sen Triplets and Memnarch to freely go about stealing our cards and playing them against us more easily, I really don't think you thought about these rule changes.
Kill him first. EVERY. DARN. GAME.

He will come around.

_________________
sir squab wrote:
My... history of buying Magic cards is probably a tapestry of bad financial decisions >_>
niheloim wrote:
No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 10:05 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2014-Sep-30 6:38 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Just checked Joz's profile, and he was active a few hours ago. He definitely has been shadowing the forums, and it makes sense with this ban, which honestly was probably 40% this thread, which was the epitome of everything he stood for. In fact, he is probably planning his smug return as we speak.

_________________
Making a deck list? Then use http://manabase.com/autocard.php or Joz will kill you...

Current Decks:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 10:39 am 

Joined: 2014-Apr-03 3:46 am
Age: Drake
Man this PoK ban really sucks. Prophet allowed me to take more aggressive strategy in my tasigur control deck but now if I want the same effect I need shell out 5 times more $$ for seedborn muse.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 10:46 am 

Joined: 2014-Jul-26 11:35 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Omni-Blade wrote:
I'm still trying to understand when Prophet become that broken that it gets banned?

I would like to thank the Admin of MTGcommander.net for ruining commander for our play group. Banning Prophet of Kruphix now allows for the control player who play Sen Triplets and Memnarch to freely go about stealing our cards and playing them against us more easily, I really don't think you thought about these rule changes.


You clearly dont a)read and b) understand what control is.

They discussed and considered the ban at length, that was explicitly stated in the announcement.

UG control decks love PoK, it lets you unload your threats while keeping up counter spell mana every turn. It also has entirely no effect on how effective Sen and Memnarch are. you want to beat decks that steal your stuff, try homeward path

illuknisaa wrote:
Man this PoK ban really sucks. Prophet allowed me to take more aggressive strategy in my tasigur control deck but now if I want the same effect I need shell out 5 times more $$ for seedborn muse.


Yes, you do have to pay more and get a worse effect. Seedborn muse commands a high price because it's effect is huge, PoK gave you most of the muse plus Yeva. The fact that PoK does both in one card is insane and if it hadn't been printed so recently, it would cost as much as muse if not more.

_________________
Favourite Deck:
Ghost Council of Orzhova

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 11:09 am 

Joined: 2016-Jan-18 9:11 am
Age: Hatchling
Epsilon wrote:
Omni-Blade wrote:
NOT EVERYONE LIKES TO PLAY CONTROL!!!!!


Which is why it's good that Prophet is banned. Untapped mana on every turn is a control player's dream.


So then you ban Seedborn Muse, Murkfiend Liege, Aggravated Assault, Awakening and Unwinding Clock?

Out of that List, Seedborn and Unwinding Clock are far worse to the meta of Commander then Prophet.

Prophet requires you to have cards in hand and the right cards.

Memnarch + Unwinding Clock is wrong and it causes a lot of hate at the table for players who play Memnarch. But hey lets ban Prophet over these other cards that have a higher level of function.

I would like to know who these rule makers play against when thinking about banning cards, because every time there is a rule change it causes more grief and rebuttal in the Commander community here then it does greater good.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 11:32 am 

Joined: 2010-Oct-26 5:52 am
Age: Dragon
WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO! DING DONG THE BITCH IS DEAD!

... now if only we could get rid of time spells, deadeye navigator and kiki-jiki we'd actually be getting somewhere

_________________
Maluko wrote:
We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 11:34 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Jan-25 4:50 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
specter404 wrote:
It also has entirely no effect on how effective Sen and Memnarch are. you want to beat decks that steal your stuff, try homeward path

I think he was referring to the fact that sen triplets and memnark can use and play off color cards now.

I love all the changes made, kinda wish the exile 7 draw 7 more was the official mulligan rule, but it's a good house rule to try.

_________________
Kuro, Pitlord (Life gain)
Derevi (Manlands)
Marchesa (Modular)
Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 11:39 am 

Joined: 2014-Jul-26 11:35 am
Age: Elder Dragon
The difference is that unwinding clock is broken in memnarch and challenging in other artifact focused decks.

PoK is broken in UG decks. All of them. In UG you will have cards in hand. They dont have to be the right cards, you dont have to build around it. UG decks draw cards and play creatures, it's what those colours do.

The difference is the ubiquity. unwinding clock may see a lot of play in your meta, where memnarch is dominant, but there is no 30+ page thread discussing how broken it is, why? Because it isn't being played widely.

Seedborn is significantly more expensive financially and has half the effect. I understand how Memnarch can be a problem, but that's really a local issue. If someone sits down with Memnarch they know what they are doing and you should focus them out of the game every time. If they complain say "Hey, you're playing Mem".

Build a fast aggro deck with Goblins, play shatterstorm, homeward path, hurkyl's recall, null rod, make his/her deck bad in your meta and they will stop playing it.

There are no counter plays to resolved PoK, you just have to hope they run out of cards and you can wrath without they having a counter.

_________________
Favourite Deck:
Ghost Council of Orzhova

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 11:48 am 

Joined: 2016-Jan-18 9:11 am
Age: Hatchling
Dale! wrote:
Prophet is like tooth and nail. With great power comes great responsibility, but the decision is largely at deckbuilding. I'll address your points in reverse order.

Number 7 is where it all falls apart. I can use primeval titan responsibly. I have, did, and it was never a problem. If clones were probable, I held it. People with clones have every right to kill me with my own cards. You'll notice that primordial titan lasted in the format awhile. It got banned when quantity of players flooded the format over quality and they didn't get this concept.

Sylvan primordial has the problem that in a multiplayer game, 1 or 2 players have must-answer cards while another one is mana screwed too often. You are forced to make the right play of wrecking a guy over must. This is not remotely the same as playing prophet on theme and people having a good time.

Number 6 (and 4) has been doable for years. Teferi plus seedborn does it in the same colors. The format didn't collapse. Obviously 2 card combos are different, but what it does isn't new. See rest to why this doesn't hold up.

Number 5 speaks volumes. At this point, edrazi are expensive to buy, are frequently viewed as douche cards, and thus not well liked by a lot of people. If they are all over the place, you aren't playing the same game as the rest of us. There are multiple people that can cast eldrazi and prophet alike that I expect fun to follow. I play with people that 'get' it though.

Number 3. She mostly gets used when it is on theme and by people that respect great power comes with great responsibility when it is used. I see plenty of decks that don't use it even though it could go in the deck. Your point is as anecdotal as mine, but I seem to have social contract on my side since prophet isn't a problem. Sorry you play with douchebags bro.

Number 2. She mostly gets used when it is on theme and by people that respect great power comes with great responsibility when it is used. Again, I see plenty of decks that don't. Your point is as anecdotal as mine. Repeated because there is no uptick in blue/green decks over this card.

Number 1. It is in ramp and draw colors. What price is fair? In my opinion, it was stupid of WOTC to print it, but this is our new reality. Dealing with this stuff offers up huge cans of comparative worms. This card compares most to tooth and nail, not the banned cards you mentioned. Sorry your player base is made of douches, but those of us that can handle it shouldn't have to pay for your group's inability to be decent human beings.


Well Said :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 12:16 pm 

Joined: 2012-Apr-11 7:17 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Omni-Blade wrote:
Out of that List, Seedborn and Unwinding Clock are far worse to the meta of Commander then Prophet.
If that were true, don't you think there would be entire threads dedicated to those cards? Since there is not, what conclusion would you draw from that?

Now it may be that artifacts are the issue in your meta, but thats not at all the case in EDH generally.

_________________
sir squab wrote:
My... history of buying Magic cards is probably a tapestry of bad financial decisions >_>
niheloim wrote:
No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 12:25 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-May-09 10:39 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Omni-Blade wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
Omni-Blade wrote:
NOT EVERYONE LIKES TO PLAY CONTROL!!!!!


Which is why it's good that Prophet is banned. Untapped mana on every turn is a control player's dream.


So then you ban Seedborn Muse, Murkfiend Liege, Aggravated Assault, Awakening and Unwinding Clock?

Out of that List, Seedborn and Unwinding Clock are far worse to the meta of Commander then Prophet.

Prophet requires you to have cards in hand and the right cards.

Memnarch + Unwinding Clock is wrong and it causes a lot of hate at the table for players who play Memnarch. But hey lets ban Prophet over these other cards that have a higher level of function.

I would like to know who these rule makers play against when thinking about banning cards, because every time there is a rule change it causes more grief and rebuttal in the Commander community here then it does greater good.


If people are playing Memnarch with Unwinding Clock they are doing it wrong. My friend Shane has a tuned MEm deck and Clock is too slow. Workshop, Crypt, Ring, Monolith+Power Artifact, Prophet of Kruphix was just another toy for the dude to untap every turn.

Seedborn I have not seen in multi since Anthony Alongi was penning articles for Wizards, about 7-10 years ago. I won't even play it in green decks because it's too slow. That was the problem with PoK. It made me make U/G decks so I could get untaps and flash and stuff. Seedborn is fine. It lets you replay activated abilities and go from there.

_________________
Generals:
Jasmine Boreal - Flower power! Nature/Justice/Retribution themed casual fun.
Radha, Heir to Keld - All white-bordered!
Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 12:27 pm 

Joined: 2008-Apr-27 10:55 am
Age: Drake
Location: Minnesota
I'd like to take a moment and share my favorite Prophet story in honor of her memory.

I am playing mono blue and only run a few counters most of witch are situational. Turn five I tap out because I can and don't have any responses. My opponent is relieved and plays Prophet of Kruphix figuring it won't be countered. (They're right.) Shockingly it gets back to my turn. I Clone their Prophet. (I was expecting some sort of response from them to which there was none.) I play another card to tap out and pass turn. Go to their turn and on their upkeep I play Llawan, Cephalid Empress. At this point I proceed to crush everyone with my cloned prophet. Gonna miss these times.

Llawan would like to say something now. Wait ... no, she is just waving the finger. (What a classy lady!)

...we'll miss you Prophet of Kruphix.

_________________
That which knows itself can not be shaped to another's will.

Signature Deck: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund – GBR Rock archtype – Built for attrition games.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 12:43 pm 

Joined: 2012-Mar-31 11:52 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Gath Immortal wrote:
WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO! DING DONG THE BITCH IS DEAD!

Well that is just unnecessary.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 1:59 pm 

Joined: 2009-Jun-23 2:32 pm
Age: Drake
Finally a little bit of justice for the world. Fuck Prophet of Kruphix and boring easy mode EDH, can't wait to hear all of the whining from the try hard spikes who don't actually know creativity and deckbuilding because one single card does it all for you.





Also eat hot death Cryogen. You will never silence me.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 2:35 pm 

Joined: 2016-Jan-18 2:26 pm
Age: Hatchling
Alright so I'm looking at you rationale and I am at a loss. Your whole argument is based off of the thought that "because [you] keep running into it, it needs to be ban". With basic logic has everyone on the RC for edh forgotten the VAST amount of cheap, easily attained and used removal that exists?

On a personal note it seems as always ONLY CASUAL players were asked about this, not all of us play battle cruiser, and even the ones that do benefit from this. Also prophet and muse are very equal, the flash has not inherent value without etb effects. To counter the argument that edh is casual, it's not apways, a vast segment of the population of players is put out with this because card shops follow these rules.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: