Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-21 12:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-21 10:25 am 

Both surprised and not surprised.

Its been so long I didn't think this would ever happen. But I can't think of a game where Prophet made things more fun, so its probably a good thing.

I'm still going to play mine. I've never had issues with her in the meta... but I can appreciate that as an exception.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-21 12:44 pm 

Do you play in a closed meta? If so, what other cards are on/off the list?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-21 6:45 pm 

until I moved for a job yes, almost entirely a close group of friends.

it kinda makes it hard to appreciate the fact that a lot of cant self regulate with some cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-22 5:54 am 

So you are still going to play it, in a non-closed meta? I don't seem to understand...

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-22 6:21 am 

What i don't understand is the "i can't think of a game she made more fun [...] i'm still going to play mine". haha

Well, as long as people are ok with you using banned cards i guess.... I miss her in my Mimeoplasm deck already. Bah.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 12:26 am 

I'm okay with this change. I am going to miss playing her and then flashing in Kruphix (my general) the next turn and then getting to float all that mana but Seedborn muse is similar in that nature, definitely not as strong as getting to flash my general in though. So...I see why one is banned and not the other.

Great change all around. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 6:28 am 

Sovarius wrote:
What i don't understand is the "i can't think of a game she made more fun [...] i'm still going to play mine". haha

Well, as long as people are ok with you using banned cards i guess.... I miss her in my Mimeoplasm deck already. Bah.

yup. its entirely contradictory, but I take it back... there was one game I played where my opponent had planar portal and beacon of tomorrows where prophet allowed me to play through the lock.

its entirely possible to just have the card exist as a powerful threat and not be a fun suck. it just acts as any other threat. most of the times its ruined a game was due to poor threat assessment by another player.

MRHblue wrote:
So you are still going to play it, in a non-closed meta? I don't seem to understand...

of course. I play what ever I want. I'm perfectly happy playing broken crap in ways that allow my opponents to interact and respond.

now, if by non-closed you me pick up games... no. Thats crazy talk.
if by non-closed you mean a few regulars with an open invitation for others, then yes. its not hard to self regulate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 9:24 am 

I guess I never found this card as scary as Seedborn Muse.

As a card that doesn't a) directly prevent opponents from playing or b)directly cause winning to occur, I don't think it's unfun or banworthy.

You can argue "but it's like they get a free turn every turn," but that's a weak argument. They don't get an attack step. They're not untapping artifacts. They're not drawing a card (at least not from the prophet), and the only thing they get to play extra is creatures.

You can argue, as the first poster does, that it's like having 2 cards in one. I'd much rather have my untap and my flash on separate spells. Killing one creature is easier than killing a creature and an enchantment. Oh, you needed both of those things for your strategy and I just doom bladed/bolted/swords/unsummoned/made my 3/3 fight it? Sorry. (then again, I'm one of those weirdos that likes my phone, camera, ebook reader, and mp3 player to be separate devices,)

Seedborn Muse is harder to kill (not that 4 toughness is huge in edh), easier to cast (only one color), untaps artifacts as well, playable in twice as many more decks ( 11 vs prophets 5), and now costs 10x as much to own.

so, I will continue to play Prophet of kruphix in my decks, I'll just treat them as proxies for the Seedborn Muses I'm not going to buy at $23 a pop. Heck, I'll even sharpie in the changes (Except on the pretty foil ones).

I think Sire of Stagnation is worse for the format than Prophet of Kruphix (or at least it leads to more "unfun" games).

I'm playing through all of them in order at: http://edh100.wordpress.com
Decklists Here: http://tappedout.net/users/Nickel97/deck-folders/.

Powerful cards aren't the problem, Spikes are.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 1:48 pm 

Nickel97 wrote:
I guess I never found this card as scary as Seedborn Muse.

As a card that doesn't a) directly prevent opponents from playing or b)directly cause winning to occur, I don't think it's unfun or banworthy.

You can argue "but it's like they get a free turn every turn," but that's a weak argument. They don't get an attack step. They're not untapping artifacts. They're not drawing a card (at least not from the prophet), and the only thing they get to play extra is creatures.

You can argue, as the first poster does, that it's like having 2 cards in one. I'd much rather have my untap and my flash on separate spells. Killing one creature is easier than killing a creature and an enchantment. Oh, you needed both of those things for your strategy and I just doom bladed/bolted/swords/unsummoned/made my 3/3 fight it? Sorry. (then again, I'm one of those weirdos that likes my phone, camera, ebook reader, and mp3 player to be separate devices,)

Seedborn Muse is harder to kill (not that 4 toughness is huge in edh), easier to cast (only one color), untaps artifacts as well, playable in twice as many more decks ( 11 vs prophets 5), and now costs 10x as much to own.

so, I will continue to play Prophet of kruphix in my decks, I'll just treat them as proxies for the Seedborn Muses I'm not going to buy at $23 a pop. Heck, I'll even sharpie in the changes (Except on the pretty foil ones).

I think Sire of Stagnation is worse for the format than Prophet of Kruphix (or at least it leads to more "unfun" games).

what? all sire does is say "hey green deck, FU" which we probably need more of these days because green needs to die. mono green is a boring shitfest of a deck to play against: ramp ramp ramp, akroma's memorial, tooth & nail, avenger & craterhoof, whoops I win again now someone pass me the lube.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-29 9:59 pm 

Nickel97 wrote:
You can argue, as the first poster does, that it's like having 2 cards in one. I'd much rather have my untap and my flash on separate spells. Killing one creature is easier than killing a creature and an enchantment. Oh, you needed both of those things for your strategy and I just doom bladed/bolted/swords/unsummoned/made my 3/3 fight it?

You've gotta love it when people are so fervent about their cause they will twist reality into "combo's requiring more cards > combo's requiring less cards".

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-30 1:37 am 

Gath Immortal wrote:
what? all sire does is say "hey green deck, FU" which we probably need more of these days because green needs to die. mono green is a boring shitfest of a deck to play against: ramp ramp ramp, akroma's memorial, tooth & nail, avenger & craterhoof, whoops I win again now someone pass me the lube.

There are a ton of boring mono-Green decks, but I wouldn't say all mono-Green decks are exactly the same or boring. As long as you keep away from just straight ramp, straight Elves, and cut down on how much deck searching you use to find creatures, those decks turn out alright. Maybe not the most interesting decks ever, but much more fun to play and play against.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-30 11:53 am 

Segrus wrote:
As long as you keep away from just straight straight Elves

That's easy to do; not a lot of those around.

-----------------

I like Sire of Stagnation. I hardly see how he's bad for the format, but i think everyone else understands that already. It's just weird to say that over... Consecrated Sphinx.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 12:32 am 

24x30cl wrote:
You've gotta love it when people are so fervent about their cause they will twist reality into "combo's requiring more cards > combo's requiring less cards".

I guess it depends what you mean by the ">". I definitely find a combo that needed 6 cards less offensive than one that required only 3. That said, the argument that PoK is not good because it combines the flash and untap on the same removal magnet is total bull.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 10:36 pm 

I don't really get why PoK gets banned when something like iona gets to roam free.

Iona literally stops people being able to play the game while prophet only allows the controller play more. Even if iona only hits that one mono color player and nobody else this means that the game is essentially over for that one player but due to the nature of multiplayer he can't just concede and shuffle up for a new game. Iona sure engourages those amazing social games when 3 people play mtg and one person plays angry birds.

Iona is also a lot harder to remove by removing one color from the game and having a huge butt. Iona's ability also takes effect as soon as she hits the table unlike prophet's.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 12:08 am 

illuknisaa wrote:
I don't really get why PoK gets banned when something like iona gets to roam free.

I think the easiest way to answer that question is to just look at the amount of complaint PoK has been getting vs. Iona. I say this fully understanding that "gets lots of complaints" is not a banning criteria, and fully understanding that the internet is not necessarily representative of the community at large, and I'd like to see her die in a fire too.

However, Iona just doesn't seem to be causing issues for the format on any sort of widespread basis, the way PoK definitely seems to. There are several reasons for this.
A: Blue and green are the most popular/powerful colors.
B: PoK only costs 5. Iona costs 9.
C: PoK is less vulnerable to social pressures. People dropping Iona are either morons, or know they're being jerks and are doing so intentionally. She's the kind of thing that people get really mad at you for. PoK is more like Primeval Titan - a great source of advantage that everyone wants, so much so that it can be extremely polarizing. People might be upset that you have it, because of the massive advantage you're getting, but it doesn't say "you can't play the game" on it.
End result - Iona doesn't see much play, and PoK was everywhere.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next