Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-05 5:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about...Prophet of Kuphrix
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-25 11:59 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

The whole "someone on the RC lost to a card, so it got banned" argument is pretty immature. First of all, we're grownups. Second, we put actual thought into our decisions instead of emotion.

It's way more likely that someone on the RC won with a card that started the conversation--"hey, if I'm abusing this, I bet other people are, too" (then confirmed with discussions and reading the online forums). Banning a card is never so simple (unless that card is Griselbrand), it's a multiplicity of factors, and one of those factors is our own experience.

In a recent example, I was jamming Prophet of Kruphix into everything and making extra U/G decks just so I could play with it more. In an older example, Recurring Nightmare was all I could think about playing. Every deck or deck idea was black and put fatties into the graveyard. The cards didn't just warp the way the games were played, they warped how I was conceiving and perceiving the format. That's the sign of a problem.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-26 5:01 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
The whole "someone on the RC lost to a card, so it got banned" argument is pretty immature. First of all, we're grownups. Second, we put actual thought into our decisions instead of emotion.

It's way more likely that someone on the RC won with a card that started the conversation--"hey, if I'm abusing this, I bet other people are, too" (then confirmed with discussions and reading the online forums). Banning a card is never so simple (unless that card is Griselbrand), it's a multiplicity of factors, and one of those factors is our own experience.

In a recent example, I was jamming Prophet of Kruphix into everything and making extra U/G decks just so I could play with it more. In an older example, Recurring Nightmare was all I could think about playing. Every deck or deck idea was black and put fatties into the graveyard. The cards didn't just warp the way the games were played, they warped how I was conceiving and perceiving the format. That's the sign of a problem.

I'm gonna borrow those last two lines for signature purposes, if you don't mind.

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-27 11:56 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Wolfsbane706 wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

I'm gonna borrow those last two lines for signature purposes, if you don't mind.

Don't mind at all. I'm happy to serve as a quote machine.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-28 1:55 pm 

Sheldon is happy to serve as a "machine". Skynet, is that you?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-28 1:58 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
I'm happy to serve as a quote machine.

Aaaand quoted.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-01 4:07 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
I'm happy to serve as a quote machine.

Aaaand quoted.

The day something I say ends up in someone's sig is the day I hang up my account and retire from the internet.

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-01 5:18 pm 

Dammit, you know how tempting that is, right? :twisted: :lol:

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-01 5:20 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Dammit, you know how tempting that is, right? :twisted: :lol:

Why do you think I said it?

Carthain wrote:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40