Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-21 1:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shared Fate mana colour interaction
AgePosted: 2014-Sep-01 9:15 am 

iplaymtg wrote:
Why not change the rule to the following? (bolded text is added)

903.9. If mana would be added to a player's mana pool from an object that player owns of a color that isn't in the color identity of that player's commander, that amount of colorless mana is added to that player's mana pool instead.

This fixes pretty much everything on both sides of the argument.

But then you have things like "My Darksteel Ingot works differently than your Darksteel Ingot" even though they should be the same. Or even though one player controls both.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-01 11:04 am 

I think it's kind of a flavor fail that Kaervek would even be able to draw colorless mana from a Plains, much less white.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-01 3:35 pm 

crokaycete wrote:
I think it's kind of a flavor fail that Kaervek would even be able to draw colorless mana from a Plains, much less white.

But should the Sens Triplets be able to tap a forest for green?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 12:12 am 

iplaymtg wrote:
crokaycete wrote:

But should the Sens Triplets be able to tap a forest for green?

In the EDH/Commander version of Magic -- no. (IMO naturally)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 5:06 am 

iplaymtg wrote:

903.9. If mana would be added to a player's mana pool from an object that player owns of a color that isn't in the color identity of that player's commander, that amount of colorless mana is added to that player's mana pool instead.

That's a much less intuitive rules that only fixes tiny corner case scenarios. It is not worth the haste to try and figure out anytime it would actually apply.

It is the same as changing the rules to forbid off-color fetches: It could be done, but the rules jargon to get there is not worth the payoff.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 9:57 am 

MRHblue wrote:
iplaymtg wrote:

That's a much less intuitive rules that only fixes tiny corner case scenarios. It is not worth the haste to try and figure out anytime it would actually apply.

It is the same as changing the rules to forbid off-color fetches: It could be done, but the rules jargon to get there is not worth the payoff.

Try to imagine when such occastions occur, though. After a scrambleverse with a mono-black commander, you might be left with a plains and a creature with an activated ability that requires white mana. A player would intuitively know that he/she could use the plains to pay for the ability.

Outside of such situations, the rule would almost never come up due to deck construction limitations.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 12:07 pm 

You might also be left with your RUG opponent's City of Brass, which not only taps for RUG but also now taps for W for some reason... ?!?!?!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 12:33 pm 

crokaycete wrote:
You might also be left with your RUG opponent's City of Brass, which not only taps for RUG but also now taps for W for some reason... ?!?!?!

But if there are no W costs for you to pay, it wouldn't matter. :) As a newbie the rule would still make sense, and could just read his/her opponents' cards as they are written.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 1:50 pm 

I'm talking specifically about your situation where somebody casts Scrambleverse and you end up with another player's land and a White activated ability in your Black deck. As worded, the rule would allow you to use the RUG player's City of Brass to make W for the ability even though neither you nor the original owner should be allowed to make W with that land.

You don't think that's massively more confusing than the current rule?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 1:51 pm 

crokaycete wrote:
I'm talking specifically about your situation where somebody casts Scrambleverse and you end up with another player's land and a White activated ability in your Black deck. As worded, the rule would allow you to use the RUG player's City of Brass to make W for the ability even though neither you nor the original owner should be allowed to make W with that land.

You don't think that's massively more confusing than the current rule?

I do think it's less confusing. Imagine the rule didn't exist (as most people don't know it).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 2:32 pm 

iplaymtg wrote:
I do think it's less confusing. Imagine the rule didn't exist (as most people don't know it).

I highly doubt you have evidence that would back up the allegation that most people are unaware of the mana production rule in EDH. Or rather that most EDH players are unaware of said rule, since most people are in fact unaware (and don't play EDH).

The proposed rule reads very simply, but creates annoying repercussions - if I control a Darksteel Ingot from my own deck and one from yours it's counterintuitive that only one of the two could produce off-CI mana. I also don't support changing the rules to further enable theft in general.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 4:23 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I highly doubt you have evidence that would back up the allegation that most people are unaware of the mana production rule in EDH. Or rather that most EDH players are unaware of said rule, since most people are in fact unaware (and don't play EDH).

My evidence was me playing shared fate at a game, and only 2 people in the room of 8 had heard of the rule.
Sid the Chicken wrote:
The proposed rule reads very simply, but creates annoying repercussions - if I control a Darksteel Ingot from my own deck and one from yours it's counterintuitive that only one of the two could produce off-CI mana. I also don't support changing the rules to further enable theft in general.

How does it enable theft? Very few cards played in EDH have activated abilities requiring colored mana. Usually the rule is used to lock people out of the game with cards like Celestial Dawn and Shared Fate (as I now know...)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-02 11:02 pm 

iplaymtg wrote:
and only 2 people in the room of 8 had heard of the rule.

Players being taught the rules incorrectly isn't evidence of something being wrong with the rules. It's evidence of something wrong with the teachers.

iplaymtg wrote:
After a scrambleversewith a mono-black commander

iplaymtg wrote:
My evidence was me playing shared fate at a game

I'm sorry, but I really can't understand how you can play these cards and not:
1) expect confusing, counter-intuitive things to happen
2) know the rules really well and be ready to explain 1) to your friends who are less informed

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-03 3:31 am 

24x30cl wrote:
I'm sorry, but I really can't understand how you can play these cards and not:
1) expect confusing, counter-intuitive things to happen
2) know the rules really well and be ready to explain 1) to your friends who are less informed

I didn't know the EDH-specific rules for mana production. We played without them previously (over a year) and the games were a lot of fun. Nothing broken happened.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-03 6:58 am 

iplaymtg wrote:
I didn't know the EDH-specific rules for mana production. We played without them previously (over a year) and the games were a lot of fun. Nothing broken happened.
Its not a matter of broken, as has been explained more than once. It is a matter of flavor and rule clarity. If you do not see what is wrong with two Darksteel ingots under a person's control (one stolen, one not) producing different types of mana as confusing, I don't think we are near enough the same page to have a useful discussion.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next