Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-24 10:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shared Fate mana colour interaction
AgePosted: 2014-Sep-03 9:09 am 

iplaymtg wrote:
Try to imagine when such occastions occur, though. After a scrambleverse with a mono-black commander, you might be left with a plains and a creature with an activated ability that requires white mana. A player would intuitively know that he/she could use the plains to pay for the ability.

Sure, but in this case, it isn't so much the player that is directing things, as it is the Commander.

I mean, the Commander is the reason for no non-black in the first place, so they are obviously in charge of things once you make the deal to work with them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-03 10:59 am 

iplaymtg wrote:
I didn't know the EDH-specific rules for mana production. We played without them previously (over a year) and the games were a lot of fun. Nothing broken happened.

And you can probably play EDH with a lot of fun without rules 9 and 15. 14 is completely redundant and EDH wil still work partially without 5, 6 and 12.

I totally get that you question a rule's existence if you've been playing without it for so long, but the fact that you (can) play(ed) the game wrong doesn't serve as evidence that it should be played differently.

Now if you'd want to argue that this rule is mechanically pointless and you'd be (mostly) right. But it's not here for mechanical reasons, it's here for emotional ones. To me it shows that EDH isn't all about math, mechanics and strategy like that boring regular Magic, but about having a beer with your friends and telling the story of your General through his or her eyes while he or she smashs your friends faces... or gets yours smashed.

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-03 2:51 pm 

iplaymtg wrote:
My evidence was me playing shared fate at a game, and only 2 people in the room of 8 had heard of the rule.

That's weak evidence. It's good evidence that most of the people you play with are misinformed, but not of the community at large. If more people start chiming in that they were oblivious as well, then you might have something there. Regardless, 2 of the 8 by your own admission DID know the rule, and should have educated the rest of you. Presumably they did, as evidenced by you being here now asking for change.
24x30cl wrote:
And you can probably play EDH with a lot of fun without rules 9 and 15. 14 is completely redundant and EDH wil still work partially without 5, 6 and 12.

I totally get that you question a rule's existence if you've been playing without it for so long, but the fact that you (can) play(ed) the game wrong doesn't serve as evidence that it should be played differently.

Now if you'd want to argue that this rule is mechanically pointless and you'd be (mostly) right. But it's not here for mechanical reasons, it's here for emotional ones. To me it shows that EDH isn't all about math, mechanics and strategy like that boring regular Magic, but about having a beer with your friends and telling the story of your General through his or her eyes while he or she smashs your friends faces... or gets yours smashed.

QFT.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-04 12:11 am 

iplaymtg wrote:
I didn't know the EDH-specific rules for mana production. We played without them previously (over a year) and the games were a lot of fun. Nothing broken happened.
As a judge, I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of Magic players actually know a hilariously small subset of the rules. This does not mean most rules in Magic are useless.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-04 2:17 am 

crokaycete wrote:
As a judge, I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of Magic players actually know a hilariously small subset of the rules. This does not mean most rules in Magic are useless.

As a player I can tell you that a majority of Magic judges actually know a hilariously small subset of the rules. :lol:

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-04 2:55 am 

24x30cl wrote:
crokaycete wrote:

As a player I can tell you that a majority of Magic judges actually know a hilariously small subset of the rules. :lol:

The part that I love is that both these seem to be true ^_^

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-04 4:38 am 

Carthain wrote:
24x30cl wrote:
crokaycete wrote:

The part that I love is that both these seem to be true ^_^

I once had a player claim to me (this was during a Time Spiral block draft) that Flanking doesn't use the stack. The judge that was standing nearby agreed with him. :facepalm:

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-04 4:53 am 

When I say "Magic players," this should not be taken to exclude players who are also judges.

My guess is that if you showed up at a GP (so, higher than average investment in the game) and asked players enrolled in the main event to describe to you the actual process of casting a spell and determining its mana costs, you would get somewhere around 5% correct replies. If you asked them what a "Mana Ability" is, you might get 8% (and only that high due to Deathrite.) If you asked what actually happens during the Declare Blockers turn-based action, maybe 2%.

These are all things that every player does nearly every game, and very few of them could actually tell you how they work. The ability to just play a game of Magic in blissful ignorance of nearly all the rules involved is one of its best features.

(At a local pre-release, the knowledge level of a judge is a bit of crap shoot. For a GP main event though, those percentages above would be vastly higher for the judge staff.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-15 4:47 pm 

Speaking of colour identity and the mana rules, can't you stick Uborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in any deck? It doesn't seem to actually have a color identity, since it's only a swamp while in play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-15 11:50 pm 

Kerrus wrote:
Speaking of colour identity and the mana rules, can't you stick Uborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in any deck? It doesn't seem to actually have a color identity, since it's only a swamp while in play.

You can. That's one of those loopholes (off-color fetchlands is another) that aren't worth the effort it would take to close them. I've seen people in the past say they run Urborg in their non-black decks just to legend out the black players' Urborgs. With the legend rule change there's precious little reason to ever do this, except a few cards like Angry Mob, or if you want to be a complete asshat and run Linvala and Kormus Bell too.

Last edited by Sid the Chicken on 2014-Sep-16 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-16 2:40 am 

I heard Primeval Titan was used to get it and Coffers out in one swing. Never saw it irl though.

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-16 2:44 am 

24x30cl wrote:
I heard Primeval Titan was used to get it and Coffers out in one swing. Never saw it irl though.

Count yourself lucky then. It certainly was used for that. Not sure what that has to do with putting UtoY in non-black decks though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-16 2:51 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
24x30cl wrote:

Count yourself lucky then. It certainly was used for that. Not sure what that has to do with putting UtoY in non-black decks though.

That it was done in mono-G.

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-16 4:15 am 

24x30cl wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
24x30cl wrote:

That it was done in mono-G.

Not legally. Cabal Coffers has black CI, even if UtoY doesn't.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-16 5:31 am 

:oops: then I was mistaken :oops:

or people cheated

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next