Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-20 2:33 pm

Post subject: Urborg and Cabal Coffers, can I use this in a mono-blue deck
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-18 4:42 am 

Not sure exactly how the color identity rule works with this. I get different answers from the people in my playgroup and was hoping to get clarification. Can I even put cabal coffers into a mono blue deck? If so would it allow me to make black mana or would it be colorless? Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Urborg and Cabal Coffers, can I use this in a mono-blue deck
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-18 6:12 am 

Belongs in the Rules Discussion forum, but no biggie. The answer is, you can run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in any deck, because it has a colorless CI. Cabal Coffers, however, has a CI of "Black" thanks to the black mana symbol on it.

Be aware that while "by the letter" of the rules, you can run Urborg in a mono-Green deck, for instance, it is widely considered to be against the spirit/intent of the Commander rules, so most EDH "purists" frown on it. Many others, however, only care about the letter of the law, not the spirit.

Not passing judgement either way, just pointing it out as a distinction to be aware of.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-27 1:01 am 

I run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in a R/W EDH deck mainly for Karma and Stern Judge. I also run it in my Phasing EDH for Shimmer naming Swamp. It is especially funny/better when someone else at the table is also running one (fairly common) for when my own lands are phased out either due to Taniwha or of course the aforementioned Shimmer. I realize that it is against flavor to do so, and if the rules ever changed somehow to close that "loophole" then I would happily remove it and change a few cards up. But for now, if you have some surprise for your playgroup in a non-black EDH deck with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, go for it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-29 12:01 am 

I believe there is a persistent Magic Online bug that allows you to do this, though. That may be the source of confusion.

Offline Profile