Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Jul-20 10:48 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-13 2:46 am 

Joined: 2008-Jan-13 12:42 am
Age: Wyvern
While I think it would be awesome from a flavor perspective, I can understand the against side of the argument. However, I feel that the idea deserves testing before we all decide on our bias against it.

The "combat damage" rule can be edited to "combat damage (if creature) and planeswalker damage (damage dealt by effects directly related to the planeswalker)", if the players really wanted to vote for it. That rule alone should not remove the chance of planeswalkers playing as generals. Because planeswalkers are, in essence, "legendary" because whenever a Planeswalker with the same subtype comes into play, all of that type ar sacrificed. I believe that they could serve as functional for a General in that sense.

However, there is a power-level argument, which I can wholly agree with. Firstly, the power of starting every game with a planeswalker basically in your hand is amazingly high. Liliana Vess, for example, could easily become degenerate due to current rules if she were made a planeswalker (when she runs out of counters, she gets RFG'd? Free Vampiric Tutors?). However, I think some of them are balanced. Also, most of them do not come down and immediately begin to crush the opposition. Most of them take time to set up for their game-winning play, whether that involves making several Beasts for the win or casting targeted Inferno. During that time, they can be easily disrupted. It's not like creatures are small in number in EDH. Also, one of my decks has 4 Vindicate effects, half of which are searchable. Sure, the planeswalkers can wreak house in the late game, but so can most generals once you have built up the resources.

I'm not sure what other arguments there are. I can't see there being any other problems for building EDH decks around the planeswalkers. That's why I support them, at least.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-14 4:52 pm 

Joined: 2007-Dec-12 7:36 pm
Age: Dragon
I don't think Planeswalkers should be allowed as generals. There are many reasons but biggest for me is there are five mono colored walkers. If they were allowed I think alot of people would be interested in using them. Diversity would go down and fights over using one as your general would go up.

I'd be willing to reevaluate my position after the number of walkers gets in the 10-20 range which may take quite a while.

_________________
iceage4life on MODO
Paper Decks: Sisay, Oona, Intet, Soknar, Sharuum the Gegemon, Nath, Sir Shandlar of Eberyn (Peasent)
Online: Garza Zol, Venser, Sisay, Ghost Council


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-14 6:05 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-21 9:45 am
Age: Drake
Each color can deal with creatures in its own unique way.

The same cannot be said for Planeswalkers. If a Planeswalker gets too unruly there are some colors that have to suck it up and just lose. We've yet to see what kinds of Planeswalker cards we may have to face as Generals in the future.

Even given a couple of years of new sets, I cannot foresee Planeswalkers qualifying even a little bit as suitable generals. We've had ~fifteen years of ways of killing or disabling creatures which makes the game interesting. We've had a few months of just Rootgrappling them or Boomerang which is boring. I know that's just a few and there are others, I'm just saying there aren't MANY others. We enter that whole "auto-include" category again which just kills diversity and stifles creativity and innovation.

Planeswalkers should be a no go for General status.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-14 7:42 pm 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2007-Jan-05 12:58 am
Age: Elder Dragon
matthew wrote:
We've had a few months of just Rootgrappling them or Boomerang which is boring. I know that's just a few and there are others, I'm just saying there aren't MANY others.


You know that your Planeswalkers can be attacked by your opponents' creatures, right? Every deck with a General has a way to kill Planeswalkers, every game.

_________________
Blog - Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-15 10:54 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2007-Sep-21 8:22 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Damn you skeleton ship, you're supposed to kill the creature. Kill the planeswalker skelly, KILLIT! Okay like I'd play skeleton ship as my general *pshaw*


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-15 12:15 pm 

Joined: 2007-Jun-04 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Gainsville, FL
Ban Ki-moon wrote:
matthew wrote:
We've had a few months of just Rootgrappling them or Boomerang which is boring. I know that's just a few and there are others, I'm just saying there aren't MANY others.


You know that your Planeswalkers can be attacked by your opponents' creatures, right? Every deck with a General has a way to kill Planeswalkers, every game.


Unless you allow plainswalkers as generals. O, the irony.

_________________
Growing Darkness, taking Dawn; I was me, but now he is gone - Metallica, "Fade to Black"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-15 6:47 pm 

Joined: 2008-Jan-13 12:42 am
Age: Wyvern
Philatio wrote:
Ban Ki-moon wrote:
matthew wrote:
We've had a few months of just Rootgrappling them or Boomerang which is boring. I know that's just a few and there are others, I'm just saying there aren't MANY others.


You know that your Planeswalkers can be attacked by your opponents' creatures, right? Every deck with a General has a way to kill Planeswalkers, every game.


Unless you allow plainswalkers as generals. O, the irony.


I think that's a risk the player playing a Planeswalker as a General would have to consider. It's their choice whether they want to do that or not.

Besides the fact that, except for Jace and Ajani, the planeswalkers all have some way to dealing with the others relatively quickly, whether by damage, creatures, or whatever other type answer you want.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-16 4:31 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2007-Jul-03 7:50 am
Age: Drake
Location: Belgium
warble wrote:
Damn you skeleton ship, you're supposed to kill the creature. Kill the planeswalker skelly, KILLIT! Okay like I'd play skeleton ship as my general *pshaw*


i have to say that my colleague was annoyed by this...

his EDH deck, with Skelly as the general is pretty strong :)
and ... skelly is the only creature he runs :)

_________________
- it's only funny till somebody gets hurt, after that it's freakin' hilarious -
EDH Decks... too many ;) current favourite Hokori Prison


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: