Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-15 4:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: Planeswalkers as Commanders
AgePosted: 2016-May-20 5:28 am 

crokaycete wrote:
JJackson wrote:
If you have a PW commander, you are likely to build in a way that enables the defensive board positions.
This is actually an argument against allow PW commanders. Turbo-durdle PW EDH is not actually an appealing format.

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not talking about pillowfort decks. The best player-protecting pillowfort effects don't do anything to protect your 'walkers.

I'm talking about the types of defensive positions people already establish if their deck skews control instead of beatdown. Stuff like utility dorks in position to chump block, a big ass rattlesnake like Baneslayer Angel or Ophiomancer sitting out there, Kor Haven, Soul Snare, a reputation for running Angel of the Dire Hour, Comeuppance, and Sudden Spoiling, or any of the other huge range of things people already do to protect their life total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-20 6:17 am 

My zedruu is kinda planes walker pillow fort. It plays enchantments and walkers then drops obliterate to win under the extreme value of all the walkers. Kinda boring, so I only play it occasionally.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-21 11:31 pm 

Ok, to provide clarity around this topic I just posted another poll on twitter and posted it on the EDH subreddit. Please share this poll so we can get some more visibility on this subject matter.

https://twitter.com/CMDTower/status/734368936406441984

You may have to click my profile page to vote. Apparently there is a problem with posting a poll in a link. I pinned the tweet tho so it should be the first thing on my page.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-22 3:18 am 

CMDTower wrote:
cheethorne wrote:
How about this:
1) There are some commanders with interesting build-around-me qualities that emphasize an interesting theme.

2) It allows players to play as the most important characters in the current on-going story.

I like the idea of PW becoming legal and your arguments are fair and to me, valid. I'm hoping the RC weighs in on this and to get some new direction here. Clearly a group wants this to happen and I would like to get their thoughts. I'm curious if they tested this and what their thoughts were on the tests.

We have been playing planeswalkers as commanders for a long time. Granted not all of them, but none have been an issue. Nicol Bolas is 8 mana vindicate, Sorin Markov is a 6 mana nuke, but far from best mono black commander.

Playing Ajani Vengent is a terrible idea, no one will work with you.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-22 1:02 pm 

Is it possible to get someone to weigh in from the RC on this? ... I know they posted awhile back but haven't seen much recently.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-22 1:04 pm 

CMDTower wrote:
Is it possible to get someone to weigh in from the RC on this? ... I know they posted awhile back but haven't seen much recently.
They said 'do it if your group likes, the base rules are not changing at this time'. I don't think they will have anything new to say at this point.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-22 1:08 pm 

MRHblue wrote:
CMDTower wrote:
They said 'do it if your group likes, the base rules are not changing at this time'. I don't think they will have anything new to say at this point.

People say a lot of things and the last time anything was posted from them on this post was over 6M ago. So I'm curious what their point of view is and if it has changed any.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-22 4:41 pm 

What has changed in those 6 months that would influence such a dramatic change? I happen to agree with you, but it seems pretty straight forward it is not going to change the main rules.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-22 5:35 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

CMDTower wrote:
People say a lot of things and the last time anything was posted from them on this post was over 6M ago. So I'm curious what their point of view is and if it has changed any.

We discussed it a couple months ago and concluded it wasn't a change we were interested in pursuing. The number of planeswalkers running around right now seems like plenty.

We'd want to see a substantial upside in order to make such a fundamental change to the rules; simply changing because we can is not something we do. We're not convinced it would lead to a better format at all, let alone being a sufficient improvement to meet this threshold.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-22 11:36 pm 

papa_funk wrote:
CMDTower wrote:

We discussed it a couple months ago and concluded it wasn't a change we were interested in pursuing. The number of planeswalkers running around right now seems like plenty.

We'd want to see a substantial upside in order to make such a fundamental change to the rules; simply changing because we can is not something we do. We're not convinced it would lead to a better format at all, let alone being a sufficient improvement to meet this threshold.

Papa_funk thank you. Clarity for me is a good thing. I appreciate your time and your answer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-05 11:42 am 

CMDTower wrote:
What would you build if PW were legal?

A little late to the party this time around. But I thought I'd still share. I'm actually still playing with the same Planeswalker deck I mentioned before. Ashiok. The deck still remains Nightmare/Horror themed, with the decks main strategy revloving around my opponents discarding their hands and then drawing new ones. While I reanimate stuff from their graveyards via Chainer, or other spells. Shadows overy Innistrad gave me some nice additions. :)

The deck actually works totally fine if I never play Ashiok. And when I do it doesn't last long. I do a horrible job protecting it. But the idea is I like your creatures to become your worst nightmare.Anyway, if I ever join a playgroup that isn't cool with me using Ashiok (Which hasn't happened yet) I'd switch my general to Sivitri Scarzam, since the deck runs smooth even if I don't cast Ashiok. More of a Figurehead I suppose. The banner for theme of my deck.

I too would like to build a Garuk, Apex Predator deck with my opponents playing other Planeswalker as commander with an Arch Enemy deck under my control and let em know The Hunt is on. But, yeah the idea hasn't quite garnered enough steam. I'm still the only one in the groups I've played in with a Planeswalker as a general, and I haven't done a good job of convincing them either. Wizards is just too damn good with all the new Legendary Creatures they make and with the ones we already have at our disposal.

Having said all that: 1.) Glad to see you didn't give up on it. 2.) Nope. Still don't have anything to help the cause other than the fact that I enjoy it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23