Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-14 2:31 am

Post subject: Brisela Commander
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-27 11:40 am 

Now to start I will say as the rules work now, you cant have both of our new angel friends as commanders and I'm not suggesting to change that.

My question is how might the house rules work for this to be fair?

My main idea is to make commander tax accrue for both cards at the same time. eg. if you cast Gisela first, Bruna now costs 9. If Brisela dies, then you can choose where to put each card, but even with Gisela in the yard and Bruna in the command zone, it's going to take 11 mana to get Brisela back into play.

Does this seem fair enough? what other interactions might break this set up? Are there other restrictions you would want to impose if someone in your playgroup wanted to try this out?

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Brisela Commander
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-27 12:08 pm 

I'd say it's on par with playing with Two of Brothers Yamazaki. So, I wonder if there's anyone here who played them as a pair of commanders (or with someone else who did) -- and how they handled it.

What you propose -- at first glance -- seems fine by me. It'll take you what ... 13 mana total to get them both out? I'd think that'd be hard to abuse :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-27 12:29 pm 

I used to run both Brothers Yamazaki as separate commanders for a deck. Separately accruing tax, separate commander damage totals, etc. It worked fine for them, but they are a seriously underpowered card.

Bruna and Gisela are much closer to legitimate commanders than the Brothers on their own, so I'd be a little leery of just using that method for them.

Commander tax accruing together seems like a good check on them, especially since you're probably just going to bin Gisela after the first casting. Other options might be starting with a 6-card hand or having to cast them as a pair if they're both in the command zone. I don't know exactly where the right balance point is, but those are just a couple of ideas from the top of my head.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 12:23 am 

Carthain wrote:
I'd say it's on par with playing with Two of Brothers Yamazaki.

Each half of the brothers yamazaki is only worth half a card (at best.) Each half of Brisela is a full NWO rare-level creature. It's not even close to the same situation.

I really think if somebody wants to play all of Brisela, the best thing to do is let everyone play a pair of commanders with some restriction. e.g., Both commanders must have the same CI and same creature types.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 3:14 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Carthain wrote:
I'd say it's on par with playing with Two of Brothers Yamazaki.

Each half of the brothers yamazaki is only worth half a card (at best.) Each half of Brisela is a full NWO rare-level creature. It's not even close to the same situation.

I really think if somebody wants to play all of Brisela, the best thing to do is let everyone play a pair of commanders with some restriction. e.g., Both commanders must have the same CI and same creature types.

certainly the two scenarios are not the same power wise, but the solutions to playing 2 different creatures as a single commander probably work the same in both cases.

The power level difference probably means the Brothers will never be an issue, whereas Brisela might be if played as a double commander.

But really... This makes me want to revive the Commander-Lieutenant variant we tried. It worked well. 2 cards in the command zone. Commander determines the Color ID, the lieutenant must have an CID of at least half the commander's. We tried having the Lieutenant make the commander tax cheaper by 2, but itself incur a tax of +3 each time. It worked well for us, as we were only a bit jerky, but I can see that danger of obnoxious Commander/lieutenant combos.

Offline Profile