Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-20 8:11 pm

Post subject: it technically is a dumb question - regarding Sorin Markov
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 4:35 am 

So I know that there are rules in commander (Fellidar Soveriegn your life needs to be at 60 instead of 40) that change the life total printed on the card to be more fair in a game where you start with 40 life, but what is the deal with Sorin Markov? His -3 reads "Target Players life total becomes 10" so that wouldn't change in commander would it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: it technically is a dumb question - regarding Sorin Markov
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 5:44 am 

There are no rules changes for any of the life total cards... Win Cat is still 40 life. Enjoy the "easy" win with that or the "easy" kill with Sorin.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 6:04 am 

Your friends probably have house rules that change these types of life total cards, since there aren't format rules that do that. I would definitely suggest you check with your friends what house rules say about Sorin if they told you that Felidar Sovereign requires 60 life.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 7:56 am 

There is no format errata for EDH. Cards that state a life total are not changed in any way. Serra ascendant 'turns on' if you play it T1. New cards reference your 'starting life total' to get around formats that don't use 20.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 10:38 pm 

I run a Treva, the Renewer lifegain deck (a lifegain deck is not a powerful one in the world of EDH either) and i double the number on Felidar soveriegn and on Test of Endurance just to be fair. If it was a more competitive meta i might stick to the normal numbers. It is no easy thing to gain life and keep it when you normally have 3+ opponents looking to take chunks out of you. It normally wins through attrition, Bant has some good strong cards and card draw, so i usually out last most. Maybe general damage, or out resourcing people and getting a kill with storm herd late game, occasionally i win with the cat or test, but its rare and takes a lot to set up. And they are so obvious once in play too, easy to remove etc. I dislike sorin and magister sphinx though, i think they are definitely easy mode buttons

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-20 6:45 am 

My meta has an implicit don't play that on Felidar Sovereign. I wish wizzards would do a better job with printing relative instead of absolute life totals on cards. Especially as Commander is not the only format with an alternative starting life.

Then again they just had a designed two headed giant prerelease with Felidar soveriegn in it so maybe they just don't care.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-20 7:01 am 

Xiephon wrote:
My meta has an implicit don't play that on Felidar Sovereign. I wish wizzards would do a better job with printing relative instead of absolute life totals on cards.

They've been much better about it since EDH really took off. I think Blood Baron of Vizkopa is the only new card with absolute numbers on it in the last 5 years, and it balances because it has both a high and a low number on it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 12:28 am 

MRHblue wrote:
There is no format errata for EDH. Cards that state a life total are not changed in any way. Serra ascendant 'turns on' if you play it T1. New cards reference your 'starting life total' to get around formats that don't use 20.

However, I think in the online version of EDH, Ascendant is worded +10 of your starting total and only in online. Something about because online you have a much more limited amount of customization in decks and can't just "run more removal".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 5:16 am 

Necrachilles wrote:
However, I think in the online version of EDH, Ascendant is worded +10 of your starting total and only in online. Something about because online you have a much more limited amount of customization in decks and can't just "run more removal".

There are no "Online-specific errata" to any cards. The only major difference in play I can think of between sanctioned paper Magic and Magic Online is that you can't do shortcuts in Online (meaning you can't just have Grim Monolith and Mana Reflection and say "ok, I have 5000 colorless" on MODO; you have to tap and untap each time until you have the amount of mana you want).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 6:06 am 

intreped wrote:
Necrachilles wrote:

There are no "Online-specific errata" to any cards. The only major difference in play I can think of between sanctioned paper Magic and Magic Online is that you can't do shortcuts in Online (meaning you can't just have Grim Monolith and Mana Reflection and say "ok, I have 5000 colorless" on MODO; you have to tap and untap each time until you have the amount of mana you want).

Duels of the Planeswalkers errated Serra Ascendant to 10+starting life I believe.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 7:23 pm 

cryogen wrote:
Duels of the Planeswalkers errated Serra Ascendant to 10+starting life I believe.

It did, due to the 2hg format becoming either you played Serra Ascendant or you lost metagame it had devolved into. Appareantly it was much easier to errata the card rather than ban it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 12:25 pm 

To be honest I think that version lf him should be banned due to its sheer overpoweredness, its way too gamebreaking as compared to magus of the mirror or soul conduit

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 3:15 pm 

RaiRai wrote:
To be honest I think that version lf him should be banned due to its sheer overpoweredness, its way too gamebreaking as compared to magus of the mirror or soul conduit

:facepalm:

Offline Profile