Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-23 12:03 am

Post subject: Re: What cards do you refuse to play with/against?
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-04 1:30 pm 

What I will and won't play has shifted quite a lot over time, really. Right now, I refuse to play:

1. Two-card infinite combos. Too easy to just drop them down and go "Oops, I win". A couple of my decks do run infinite combos (Marath/Rakdos/Maga), but they're all in the 3-5 card range, and a lot of them require me to jump through some hoops to use them.

2. Some of those super unfriendly cards like Iona and Vorinclex.

3. Extra turn cards.

Things I used to hate, but now will run in certain cases:

1. Infect. I won't build a deck around it, like that Newzuri deck at my LGS that everyone hates and usually only manages to kill off one player before being hated out or winning with Sage of Hours. Rather, I'll use it as a game ender in longer games, such as Grafted Exoskeleton in Heartless Hidetsugu, or Triumph of the Hordes in Marath.

2. Mass Land Destruction. Used to hate it, and I still do when it's used to stall a game rather than end it in a turn or two. I cast Armageddon/Catastrophe/Cataclysm/Jokulhaups/Obliterate in Zurgo only when I'm ready to smash my enemies down, and not when it just results in a 10-turn stalemate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-04 11:08 pm 

Cards I mostly refuse to play with:

Anything not Modern legal. I have lots of Legacy/Vintage legal cards, but I would rather try to win without them.

Most of the time I don't use extra turn cards either. More so they can not be abused by other decks than not wanting to run them for me.

I am fine playing against most anything, as long as you are not being a jerk about how you play them. (Taking forever to use those infinite extra turns, taking 10 turns to kill everyone once you destroy all the lands, ect.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-05 7:18 am 

I play a shapely tuned infinite combo, which is highly susceptible to grave hate, in Karador, who is susceptible to hate. This my group runs Rest in Piece in their combo decks, and 10% of my games I get cheesed. I don't get not playing against cards, this is a game with deliberate cards printed. That ruins the sacredness of the game. Combos cheese weak players, and that's fine b.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-05 7:26 am 

Karadorable wrote:
I don't get not playing against cards, this is a game with deliberate cards printed. That ruins the sacredness of the game.

It is an extension of the B&R philosophy that the RC uses. Rather than having a 100 card banned list to make the format exactly as they've envisioned all of the time, they let groups deal with a larger "soft ban" type list on their own. If your group enjoys balls-to-the-wall combo, that is perfectly fine. It just isn't what everybody is looking for.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-06 2:18 pm 

Karadorable wrote:
I play a shapely tuned infinite combo, which is highly susceptible to grave hate, in Karador, who is susceptible to hate. This my group runs Rest in Piece in their combo decks, and 10% of my games I get cheesed. I don't get not playing against cards, this is a game with deliberate cards printed. That ruins the sacredness of the game. Combos cheese weak players, and that's fine b.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "cheesed", but this comes of as staggeringly arrogant. Being a good player does not mean you have to like everything. It doesn't mean you have to enjoy everything. And the simple fact is, if you don't enjoy playing against deck X or card Y, you don't have to. This has nothing to do with whether you are able to build a strong deck or whether you know how to defeat X or Y.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-07 12:17 pm 

I hate mass graveyard exile effects. I understand single graveyard card removal but mass graveyard exile effects just give too much of a middle finger to most things. I just think that there are way too many ways to exile all cards in a graveyard. Banning a few would be fair to the reanimators play style.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-07 11:17 pm 

Bull wrote:
I hate mass graveyard exile effects. I understand single graveyard card removal but mass graveyard exile effects just give too much of a middle finger to most things. I just think that there are way too many ways to exile all cards in a graveyard. Banning a few would be fair to the reanimators play style.

My #1 deterrent for running Relic of Progenitus. I like the stuff in my graveyard :/
There is always the argument to be made that if it keeps you in the game, hitting all of the graveyards is worth it, but that doesn't come up often enough to matter (at least in some playgroups).

Creatures and spells are getting really heavy on stapled removal effects. Commander is going to be nothing but 35+ lands and removal spells some day. That's not going to be terribly fun at all.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-07 11:55 pm 

Bull wrote:

We should probably ban some mass creature removal too, just to be fair to the creature heavy play style. :facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-08 8:20 am 

Bull wrote:

On the other hand those cards are absolutely needed against self mill decks. Those decks get soooo much more value than all the other players in the game. I think those decks are at fault. It's either you can't interact with their graveyard and they out value everyone, or you can interact with their graveyard and they can hardly stay in the game. Against decks that do heavy recursion, at least you can use things like Swords to Plowshares so that they can still do their recursion sometimes without being oppressive.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-08 9:11 am 

Rest in Peace is really the only graveyard hate card that I think is a little over the top. Everything else is either 1-shot (Nihil Spellbomb, Bojuka Bog, Relic of Progenitus, etc.) or doesn't deal with what is already in the 'yard (Planar Void and Leyline of the Void). If your deck is so dependent on the graveyard that these completely shut you down, then it probably isn't a very fun deck to play against.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-08 3:04 pm 

Bull wrote:
I see reanimator all the time, and it is quite powerful. Why does it need a boost? And even if it did, what banning criteria do some GY mass removal meet? We dont just ban stuff for fun.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-09 9:18 am 

I don't really think a strategy so should easily be hosed, and stuff like Rest in Peace is kind of unsporting. But, it also hoses a very unsporting archetype (presuming the deck in question is more of the "here's my t1/t2/t3 Jin Gitaxias, bitch!").

My newest graveyard deck is so heavy on reanimator effects i very nearly just lose to Rest in Peace or similar. But, no reason to ban Rest, because i could just decide to play ench/art removal.

Also, attempting to ban 'enough' graveyard hate that the selection in an eternal format is so low reanimator decks 'have a chance' is a futile task. I would be okay with Rest being banned since it's kind of 'too efficient', but besides artifacts it's also white's major way to hose graveyard stuff. There's just a lot of problems with making an attempt to ban that stuff that i don't think need to be solved.

This is also why i like multiple decks though. If i am playing a deck with Rest and a bunch of tutors that could potentially snag it, i'm not going to play my very fair and very weak graveyard deck against it. I don't just refuse to play with people who play Rest. Which also goes into the 'talk to your playgroup' solution before being a crazy person, and saying "hey, Rest dicks me over 100% and my deck doesn't do anything combo/infinite or turn-one-fuckery, can you cut it for now?".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-28 3:25 am 

I don't tell anyone what they can't play, but I do let them know if they are playing too much of a kind of over-the-top deal. I personally don't play infinites, and our group tends to naturally deal out "frontier justice" by hating them out to drive the point home that they can play what they want, but we can also alpha strike anyone we want in return for as many games as we need. By and large we are pretty tolerant as long it's not an endless hit parade of instant wins and decks which can't effectively avoid wasting our time, and this all leads to people playing pretty respectful, casual decks.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-05 12:53 pm 

There are a lot of cards I dislike playing against, but I can deal with, or a least get over. But there are some that just frustrate me. I don't refuse to play against them, I have another strategy.

If someone plays Blood Moon,Mind Slaver, Iona, Shield of Emeria, or Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger my strategy is simple. I target them, I don't care if I lose, as long as they do. I pretty much turn that game into a one on one. It might be just that game and the next game, or the next few games. But I'm going to make it known and send a message.

Also I don't mind if someone plays something that goes infinite, as long as it just ends the game. I mean it kind of temporarily sucks the life out of you, but I see it as a chance to just shuffle up and play another game. That said the cards that just make games feel infinitely longer without progressing can be a pain. If someone plays Armageddon just to play it, that's kind of a pain.

I also had someone play a Captain Sisay deck that went infinite and brought everyone's life to one just to be a pain... That's the only time I've just flat out refused to play with someone anymore because he basically just wanted the power trip, and there was no fun to be had.

Offline Profile