Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-19 6:47 am

Post subject: Re: What cards do you refuse to play with/against?
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-18 4:21 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I don't refuse to play with/against cards. People, on the other hand...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-18 6:04 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
When you drop commander on turn 4 and combo out turn 5 when playing against pirate tribal, you know what you were doing.

Offtopic, but curious about your deck. Have a list on here? My girlfriend wanted to do a pirate/theft/nautical theme deck with some sub elements of horror and darkness, so i had a full art portrait done of her as an alter for Ramirez. It's insanely cool and she has a ton of altered lands i gave her but we both are still wanting to tidy up the deck with a little bit more flavor.

I don't know about Inkeyes22's list, but searching for lists here came up with this gem: Pirattitude.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-18 11:33 pm 

@ Sovarius I will post list soon. I have played it about 6 times multiplayer and done okay. what really surprised me was it does really well in 1v1.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-21 3:13 am 

I don't refuse to play against anything or anyone, but have an annoying habit of verbal abuse against people who tend to overkill.

When you're way ahead in board position, don't cyclonic rift in your own turn and pass, just because you can and "I didn't want to discard it".

I really dislike global removal, especially one sided effects like Plague Wind and the likes, or Wrathing after you play Avacyn. It's just a dick move. Cyclonic rift is fine when it's used to survive an alpha strike or to make way for a game ending move, but not just to stall so you can buy time to build up your solo tax and denial game. Please go play online if the social aspect of the game doesn't interest you.

Refrain. Play spot removal as much as you like. I don't mind land destruction, it's fine when you destroy my Cabal Coffers or Kor Haven. But Armageddon just ruins most players' game entirely, the advantage you gain from it does not even remotely outweigh the fun you wreck.

I'm a bit of a passive-agressive jerk when playing against non-interactive decks. I convince the other players to scoop when someone is nuking the board turn after turn, or cheats an annihilator-douchebag (hasty, offcourse) into play turn 3. Meanwhile I congratulate the 'winner' with his awesome deckbuilding skills ("How do you manage to find all these overpowered cards? You must be soooo Internet-savvy! I mean, the sheer genius of adding regrowth and mnemonic wall so you can cast all is dust three times in a row!"), and express how blessed we all are for him to show us a good time in the few hours we have every week to sit down and play a game of edh.

Last week I played a guy who, on turn six, ultimate Ajani Vengeant'ed me (off Doubling Season) made me discard my hand "because I won the previous game", and attacked me with Pathrazer of Ulamog. For the rest of the game, I would draw a card, not play a land, and think for about 10 minutes what I was going to do before passing the turn. The rest of the table took the opportunity to go have a cigarette.

Biut I digress... I don't refuse to play against anything but refuse to play global removal (and denial. Void Winnower, Iona, Gaddock Teeg, Ward of Bones can all go the way of the Dodo for me).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-21 3:43 am 

Quote:
I'm a bit of a passive-agressive jerk when playing against non-interactive decks. I convince the other players to scoop...

Quote:
For the rest of the game, I would draw a card, not play a land, and think for about 10 minutes what I was going to do before passing the turn.

To quote yourself...

Quote:
Please go play online if the social aspect of the game doesn't interest you.

Board wipes are a necessity of the format. Getting value out of your spells is necessary to win and there's no way to stop 3+ players from going crazy with only single target removal. There is certainly something to be said for EXCESSIVE use of them but you should expect them to be played and play accordingly.

Targeted mass land destruction is certainly a dick move but Doubling Season doesn't get you to an Ajani Ultimate immediately so that table has horrible threat assessment if he was allowed to untap with it or that player was allowed to assemble more than those two combo pieces. In either case, MORE mass removal is warranted, not less.

You really shouldn't complain about oppressive board states and promote a board wipe free meta in the same post... The two are very closely connected.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-21 4:29 am 

MatthewB wrote:
6. No cards that mill.

MatthewB wrote:
I don't mind playing cards like Memory Jar and Angel of Serenity because they end up returning the cards.[/card]

Unless you're somehow enabling everyone else to play things at instant speed, Memory jar is essentially milling the whole table for 7, no? I'm also kind of curious about your "no milling" restriction- it's an obnoxious tactic, but a valid (and way more difficult) one; considering the amount of graveyard shenanigans in a lot of decks, it seems like you're just restricting your ways to win.

For myself, I don't own a lot of the cards I would refuse to play*, and I don't refuse to play against anything, but usually if I see a potentially problematic commander (Iona, Narset, Scion of the ur-Dragon) I'll try to ask the player questions. So far I've never refused to play with anyone but with Pick-up Games at LGS's being my new normal, I imagine that that will change.

*If you were interested in what I don't play:
  • Stuff that goes off-theme
  • Vorinclex and mana denial in general
  • Anything that destroys all lands or lands of a basic land type (nonbasics are fair game, but I'd rather run Molten Rain than Ruination. I do play Wave of Vitriol, mostly because way too many people in my area think they are cute by running Daretti.)
  • Most cards that prevent players from doing essential parts of the game- untap, draw, cast. I have and will play things that prevent attacks like Ensnaring bridge or Blazing Archon, but only in decks that have no other means of self-defense- besides, when you can do the other three, the last one should be easy enough to get around whether you dig for answers or keep playing spells to break my fragile grip.
  • I dislike Cyclonic Rift, though I encourage new players to play it to help them understand how value works and making your opponent overreach.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-21 9:43 pm 

Epsilon wrote:
Quote:
I'm a bit of a passive-agressive jerk when playing against non-interactive decks. I convince the other players to scoop...

Quote:
For the rest of the game, I would draw a card, not play a land, and think for about 10 minutes what I was going to do before passing the turn.

To quote yourself...

Quote:
Please go play online if the social aspect of the game doesn't interest you.

Board wipes are a necessity of the format. Getting value out of your spells is necessary to win and there's no way to stop 3+ players from going crazy with only single target removal. There is certainly something to be said for EXCESSIVE use of them but you should expect them to be played and play accordingly.

Targeted mass land destruction is certainly a dick move but Doubling Season doesn't get you to an Ajani Ultimate immediately so that table has horrible threat assessment if he was allowed to untap with it or that player was allowed to assemble more than those two combo pieces. In either case, MORE mass removal is warranted, not less.

You really shouldn't complain about oppressive board states and promote a board wipe free meta in the same post... The two are very closely connected.

Yeah I know, my reaction was just as bad... i was really upset that he tried to make the game an hour of misery for me because I won a previous game. Should've just scooped, play some Poker on my phone and waited out the game. Ow, and he had a 5 color goodstuff deck that quickly exploded off a Defense of the Heart and an extra turn spell, that's why he was able to ultimate Ajani without very much opportunity for the rest of the table to intervene.

I guess I didn't make my point about mass removal very clear. I don't have a problem with it (I just believe that it's used to often ''because I can''), however I really dislike one sided removal like Cyclonic Rift.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-21 10:33 pm 

Against: I haven't found it yet. Getting splattered is a learning opportunity.

With: Non-ramp tutors without a really good reason. Essentially, if the deck works without, they stay out. Kharl is the only one right now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-21 10:59 pm 

Thieves' Auction :facepalm:

I don't mind someone taking control of a card I own, but piling everyone's cards together not only takes a huge amount of time, to basically draft all of the cards, but makes starting the next game take a while as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-22 12:32 am 

Superstrength79 wrote:
Thieves' Auction

That's also on my list as well. I hate that card.
Timesifter is also an abomination.

I personally refuse to play cards I don't think should be legal (basically just Survival of the Fittest), and "bad seed" infinite combo cards. Those are cards that, basically no matter what you do, even if your strain your deck as much as possible to avoid any possible combos, still end up either comboing with your opponents cards after you steal/copy their cards or they steal/copy yours.
They include Palinchron, Tidesprout Tyrant, Umbral Mantle, Turnabout, and other cards like that.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-22 7:28 pm 

I won't flat out refuse to play against anything, but I've started cutting these from decks they were originally in, and I sometimes groan when I see them across the table from me:

Armageddon
Debt To The Deathless
Exsanguinate
Eye Of The Storm
Grip Of Chaos
Insurrection
Knowledge Pool
Mindslaver
Planar Chaos
Possibility Storm
Rise Of The Dark Realms
Scrambleverse
Shared Fate
Thieves' Auction
Timesifter
Tooth And Nail
Warp World

There are a few others - can't think of them at the moment. Cyclonic Rift is also quickly becoming one to watch - I have it in virtually every deck featuring Blue and find no one is happy when it resolves.

It's not so much that I don't enjoy these cards (I still do), but I dislike the experiences they create in Commander/EDH. I find winning off the back of a nine mana Sorcery going uncountered to be unsatisfying; both for me and for the table.

"Well, at least all of that arm-waving and arcane babbling you did was impressive." -- Remand

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-23 12:00 am 

Dark Shade wrote:
I find winning off the back of a nine mana Sorcery going uncountered to be unsatisfying; both for me and for the table.

#slowclap

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-23 12:20 am 

I have a strong dislike of infinite combos (excluding those of the 5-card Rube Goldberg fashion), because they're anti-climatic ("well, I guess I just win now"), often difficult to interact with outside of Blue, and have a tendency to invalidate most of the game that's already taken place. Playing against it once is fine. If you do it repeatedly, I'm either not playing with you or breaking out the hard control deck.

In terms of what I don't use personally, the list is a lot longer (though unlike infinites, I don't mind when other people use this stuff, it's just not my jam). Tooth and Nail, Deadeye Navigator, extra turn spells, Capsize , Iona (literally the only card I want banned)...basically generic goodstuff for the most part.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-23 1:04 am 

I forgot Mana Echoes as a card I won't play. It goes infinite or near infinite more or less accidentally. It wins games, but it doesn't make fun games

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-23 3:14 am 

Swmystery wrote:
I have a strong dislike of infinite combos (excluding those of the 5-card Rube Goldberg fashion), because they're anti-climatic ("well, I guess I just win now"), often difficult to interact with outside of Blue, and have a tendency to invalidate most of the game that's already taken place. Playing against it once is fine. If you do it repeatedly, I'm either not playing with you or breaking out the hard control deck.

This. My first decks had some infinites and "strong combos" that would have me consistently winning. When I realized I was tutoring for the same pieces each game, I took apart the deck(s).

One of my friends has yet to learn this lesson... but social shaming has seemed to tone it down a bit. At least he won't tutor for the pieces right away, even if he still does have the combo in the deck.

Offline Profile