Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-24 11:16 am

Post subject: Harsh Justice question
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-30 5:30 am 

silly question but could Harsh Justice kill a player with commander damage from that player's commander?

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Harsh Justice question
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-30 6:28 am 

No. It's not combat damage.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-30 7:11 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

Plus, even if it was, you'd have to work out the problem of dying to commander damage before the trigger resolves. Reflect Damage, however. That'll kill a brother.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-30 8:05 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:

Plus, even if it was, you'd have to work out the problem of dying to commander damage before the trigger resolves. Reflect Damage, however. That'll kill a brother.

Reflect damage, haha, I haven't seen mention of that in a long time. I used to play with that, too. Great for anti-voltron kicks and giggles.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-30 8:22 am 

Well, as i said silly question and thanks sheldon for pointing out reflect damage

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-01 7:53 pm 

I had to look up the oracle text of the card (Sorcery?) :)

I don't understand how this is not combat damage... It's damage dealt by a creature by attacking and dealing damage in combat, it's not Harsh Justice that deals the damage, unlike cards as Eye for an eye.

I'm sure you're all correct, but can someone explain to me how exactly the result is different from Reflect damage?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-01 9:38 pm 

It's quite easy: combat damage is when a creature attackes and isn't blocked.
This card isn't saying it deals the combat damage to the other player also, but explicit says: The creature deals damage to the controller. This isn't combat damage! It's damaged caused by the creature due to a spell. Even if it's during attack etc pp.

The same with Aerie Ouphes: they deal the damage, but even when sac. them during attack, still not combat damage.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-02 2:59 am 

Mirror Strike is a beautiful card these reasons. Winning a game off this cards back is a great feeling.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-03 1:06 am 

foolx wrote:
It's quite easy: combat damage is when a creature attackes and isn't blocked.
This card isn't saying it deals the combat damage to the other player also, but explicit says: The creature deals damage to the controller. This isn't combat damage! It's damaged caused by the creature due to a spell. Even if it's during attack etc pp.

The same with Aerie Ouphes: they deal the damage, but even when sac. them during attack, still not combat damage.

So okay, I know it's plain silly talking about cards that don't exist, but if the aforementioned Mirror Strike wouldn't have the word ''combat'' in its rule text, it wouldn't be commander damage but now it is?

But since it does have the word ''combat'', it's not
foolx wrote:
damage caused by a creature due to a spell
?

Not trying to troll here, I actually have a hard time understanding where to draw the line between all of these kind of cards...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-03 1:59 am 

Nigerian Prince wrote:
Not trying to troll here, I actually have a hard time understanding where to draw the line between all of these kind of cards...

So combat damage, is when a creature deals damage through combat (to blocked creatures if blocked, to players/planeswalkers if unblocked).

If a spell does damage, it's not combat damage.
If a spell causes a creature to deal damage, it's not combat damage.
If a spell redirects damage -- then if it redirects combat damage, it's still combat damage.
The thing to watch out for, is spells that prevent damage, and then cause damage.

Harsh Justice is an example of the second one (the spell causes the creatures to deal damage.)
Reflect Damage is an example of the third one. It just takes the damage, and applies it to a different target - the source is still the same.
Comeuppance is an example of the last one. It prevents the damage, and then the spell itself deals the damage back to the creature/controller.

Does that help?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-03 10:58 am 

Harsh justice causes the creature to deal damage to it's controller equal to the amount of combat damage it deals. This is not combat damage, just some damage being dealt by the creature that happens to equal the amount dealt in combat. It is the same kind of damage dealt by heartless hidetsugu, which is also not commander damage.

The redirect effect of mirror strike and reflect damage take the combat damage that would be dealt and move it somewhere else, it's the same kind of damage put in a different place, where Harsh justice creates a new bunch of damage, related to but seperate from combat, and assigns it to someone

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-03 5:38 pm 

That does help, thanks Carthain and Specter404.

It still feels a little illogical to me, but I try to think of it like this now: if the flow of damage is interrupted/fractured somewhere, it's not commander damage, if it's just rerouted, it's commander damage. Now we'll just hope that it doesn't come up too often in our games :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-04 1:02 am 

Nigerian Prince wrote:
It still feels a little illogical to me, but I try to think of it like this now: if the flow of damage is interrupted/fractured somewhere, it's not commander damage, if it's just rerouted, it's commander damage. Now we'll just hope that it doesn't come up too often in our games :)

That's not technically how it works -- but following that should let you get the right answer in I'd say at least 90% of cases :)

Offline Profile