Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-20 10:07 pm

Post subject: Ruling that I am unfamiliar with.
AgePosted: 2016-May-04 1:42 am 

So, according to my friend, there is a new ruling that states any card that would normally shuffle your general into your library, via the forced shuffle, there is a choice to put it back into the command zone. Please clarify if this is an actual ruling or not. Thank You!

I'm open to admins replying too! Thanks again!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ruling that I am unfamiliar with.
AgePosted: 2016-May-04 4:16 pm 

This is correct. If the Commander goes to any zone other than the battlefield, you can instead put it into the Command Zone.

Here is the rules change : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17560

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-05 12:51 am 

MRHblue wrote:
This is correct. If the Commander goes to any zone other than the battlefield, you can instead put it into the Command Zone.
Not exactly - it's only if it would go to library, hand, graveyard or exile. In addition to entering the battlefield, you can't replace going to the stack or ante zones (and technically the command zone itself). Additionally, if you've got any other unlisted zones in your game (due to house rules or other game formats) you can't apply the replacement effect to those zone changes.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-05 7:02 am 

There is was an ante zone?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-05 1:24 pm 

This is specified in the comprehensive rules (as at Jan 16):

Quote:
903.9. If a commander would be exiled from anywhere or put into its owner’s hand, graveyard, or library from anywhere, its owner may put it into the command zone instead. This replacement effect may apply more than once to the same event. This is an exception to rule 614.5.

As you can see, if the commander is sent to exile, hand, library or graveyard it may be put into the command zone instead. No other zone or location is specified.

This decision is made by the owner as a replacement effect and is made during the resolution of the effect which would move the object, which means the choice cant be responded to.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-05 1:42 pm 

cryogen wrote:
There is was an ante zone?
Yes, and it is still an official game zone. It's unclear if it's considered to exist in a game without ante, though.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-05 2:06 pm 

Willbender wrote:
It's unclear if it's considered to exist in a game without ante, though.
Why would the zone not exist? Exile exists even when nothing is put into exile. And even when neither deck has any card that refers to the exile zone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-05 2:17 pm 

Comp rules:
Quote:
400.1. A zone is a place where objects can be during a game. There are normally seven zones: library, hand, battlefield, graveyard, stack, exile, and command. Some older cards also use the ante zone.

This implies that in any game without ante, the ante zone does not exist. Under "normal" game circumstances there are seven zones, in an ante game there are 8.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-05 2:43 pm 

I guess I never put together the implication that "used" and "existing" were being conflated in that CR entry. That is a weird one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-06 6:24 pm 

crokaycete wrote:
I guess I never put together the implication that "used" and "existing" were being conflated in that CR entry. That is a weird one.
Yeah. The CR doesn't specifically say if there are only seven zones in a non-ante game, or if it means only seven zones are used. It doesn't really matter, though, as it would never make a difference to a game.

Offline Profile