Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-15 1:58 am

Post subject: My Thoughts: Prophet of Kruphix, Emrakul, Sorin Markov+ more
AgePosted: 2016-May-16 1:12 pm 

Okay since im a little late to the discussion i am to display my thoughts on what should be banned and unbanned, as well as some points im going to make.

Prophet of Kruphix
To be honest, I see why some people are butthurt about her since she is a little overpower but in comparison to other cards I've played against, she is walk in the park. If we look at her mana cost, 5 cmc for flash and basically extra mana which may seem to be a little overkill but to be honest, she is more less designed to accompany Kruphix, God of Horizions where she can help generate coloreless mana. Not to mention she has three toughness meanining she be bolted with a one mana red card. Personally she should be unbanned, or at least playtest more thorougly against people running Kaalia of the vast and likewise commanders whose ability is complete shenanigans.

Emrakul Aeons torn
I honestly dont see why this is banned? Its expensive both Monetarily and mana wise, its cmc is 15 which really is only really achievable by mana ramping as well as the fact its like 30 to 40 dollars. I think this should be taken off the banlist cause of its inherent summon difficulty along with the amount of preparation it takes to do so, and his abilities are easily negated if you are doing white control. Hell its impossible to graveyard summon him, but not mention it would easily be destroyed/exiled before its summoning sickness wears off.

Sorin Markov, Planeswalker
I do agree to the notion of banning Sorin Markov, namely the one thst can instant 3 loyslty take you to immediate ten life. Not mention his 7 loyalty ability that acts a worst fears which really makes him a real bastard of a planeswalker, albeit lorewise he is but as far as gameplay, he cuts games rather short. Even his two ability is rather aggressive and would bring an end to anyone's board stste quickly.

Kaalia of the Vast
Ban her as a commander!... Or outright at least. I dare you to playtest against her and see how fracking annoying her ability is, especially when she gains Shroud and Indestructible. She turns a 4 person free for all into a 3v1, sure she may get Detained early on but her ability brings out much worse creatures such as Avacyn or Nicol bolas, or heaven forbid any slew of dragons or demons. Her ability is way overpowered, not to mention her mana cost is cheaper than Prophet of Kruphix's, and her colors support royally boning anyone playing against her, particularly when a player invests in all of her supported creature types.

Ancestral Recall
Okay this on the banlist seems very shortsighted, especially sinces its from an older set, but realistically its more deserving of a modern ban than a commander Ban. Sure drawing this first turn would nice but I would take in consideration the availability this card, and the cost of it. Kind of wasted space on the banlist to be truthful

Griselband
Another on that doesnt logically make sense unlss you're playing Kaalia of the vast as a commander (Seriously ban her). He deserves an unban since his Mana cost is more than reasonable of something of his power and ability considering it would take several turns to put him out on the field, and in most cases, you can get him cheap at various outlets for around 10 to 20$

Kozilek, The Great distortion
Err, I'd be impressed if you can make Edh deck with him as a commander but anyway, He deserves to stay unbanned for both as a creature and a commander since some people are contemplating it. Overall he costs 10 mana, which through Eldrazi temple, Eye of Ugin, and Conduit of ruin make him a 4 CmC, which can easily be achieved through shrinr of the forsaken gods and temple of the false gods, or Urza's lands. His abilities are quite mild, Draw to equal seven, Menace, and discard to counter a spell which makes him pretty balanced compared to Ulamog, Ceaseless hunger which is a little on the OP side.

Sylvan Primordial
Another senseless ban for a CMC of 7 for a one time effect, sure you get like 3 land rebate but taking others perspective in ramping, it would be easy to get this on turn 5 but its presence that doesnt affect a board state that much. It can be easily detained with a number of spells and be killed with ultimate price.

Pre-tenth edition cards
Not recommeding a ban for any particular but someone should take the time for any cards that are worded weirdly to be taken advantage of. Not mentioning some are extremely wierd in how they operate. I would also conisder be a little more hesistant on banning anything after it except some of the power 9 cards.

Lighthouse Chronologist
This little gem should be on a watchlist for its ability that is almost gambreaking since he is the equivalent of prophet of kruphix for more or less mana, and can turn games upside down by essentially allowing its owner to take turn in between each players, especially in a kruphix deck. I could easily annilhate half of everyone by spamming out eldrazi spawn and Scions then summon Kozilek or a another eldrazi titan. In a 4 man match up, he is potentially overwhelming even to the guy running Kaalia. Functionally, he is scary in a mana ramp deck especially with indestructible and shroud.

So give me your opinions on what you think should be banned and unbanned on my little list

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: My Thoughts: Prophet of Kruphix, Emrakul, Sorin Markov+ more
AgePosted: 2016-May-16 3:37 pm 

Welcome to the site. All these answers exist, fire up the search.

And saying anyone who wanted Prophet banned was 'butthurt' does not exactly come off as a community engendering post.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 4:17 pm 

Prophet: easy to protect, cheap value engine that allowed a single player to outstrip everyone else.

Emrakul: ever seen one pulled out of someone's library and beat half the table to death with it? It wasn't usually cast for 15 mana, but cheated out.

Original Sorin: not broken by any means. Annoying, but not oveepowered.

Kaalia: unlikely to see a ban, but she is one of the most powerful commanders. Tiny, so play more spot removal.

Recall: $1000+ cards do not belong in the format.

Griselbrand: absolutely broken beyond all belief. It deserved the ban hammer.

Kozilek: actually quite easy to build a deck around, he can be quite powerful in the right hands. No chance of being banned ever.

Primordial: too easy to blink and destroy lands en masse.

Core set stuff: the ban list is well thought out. Old cards tend to have errata, so no loopholes there.

Chronologist is one the biggest magnets of spot removal in the format. No ban needed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 6:50 pm 

So, Kaalia is banworthy because she often gets shroud and indestructible...but Prophet and Sylvan Primordial are fine because it dies to removal? What?

I'll come back to the rest of this later, but I'm not in favour of any of these changes. Your sense of power level is, to put it mildly, very warped if you think Ulamog 2.0 is more OP than Emrakul.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 9:07 pm 

I doubt Ancestral Recall will ever be banned in Modern.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 9:42 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
I doubt Ancestral Recall will ever be banned in Modern.

And with good reason!

Swmystery wrote:
So, Kaalia is banworthy because she often gets shroud and indestructible...but Prophet and Sylvan Primordial are fine because it dies to removal? What?

I'll come back to the rest of this later, but I'm not in favour of any of these changes. Your sense of power level is, to put it mildly, very warped if you think Ulamog 2.0 is more OP than Emrakul.

Pretty much this.

The idea that Emrakul and Primetime should be unbanned, But that Sorin and Kaalia deserve bans is... Unusual.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 11:13 pm 

RaiRai wrote:
Okay since im a little late to the discussion i am to display my thoughts on what should be banned and unbanned, as well as some points im going to make.

Kozilek, The Great distortion
Err, I'd be impressed if you can make Edh deck with him as a commander but anyway, He deserves to stay unbanned for both as a creature and a commander since some people are contemplating it. Overall he costs 10 mana, which through Eldrazi temple, Eye of Ugin, and Conduit of ruin make him a 4 CmC, which can easily be achieved through shrinr of the forsaken gods and temple of the false gods, or Urza's lands. His abilities are quite mild, Draw to equal seven, Menace, and discard to counter a spell which makes him pretty balanced compared to Ulamog, Ceaseless hunger which is a little on the OP side.

So give me your opinions on what you think should be banned and unbanned on my little list

I have a pretty insane colourless EDH deck. Started with kozilek 1.0 for card draw. Decided the annihilator coupled with the card draw was too harsh so i swapped him for Ulamog 2.0. This was really solid, and saccing him to reuse his ability is pretty insane. Being indestructible is pretty back breaking but hes easy enough to kill so hes not oppressive given his mana cost. Recently started using Kozilek. Mainly for the card draw. The countering clause can be useful, but the mana curve of the deck is very weird, given the high end cards I am casting. Leading the counter ability to be pretty rare. But still applicable. None of these creatures is even close to needing bans.

If Emrakul was unbanned, he would either be the new commander, or in the deck at the very least. Its very easy to get to the mana to cast any of these creatures, and Emmy is easily the most oppressive due to his annihilator 6. And the fact that hes basically got haste, extra turns are pretty dumb, and the protection from coloured spells protects him from most of the instant speed removal available, in a format where people run too few answers alot of the time anyway. He can't be unbanned imo. Although in my EDH cube hes ok, buts thats a little different

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 11:45 pm 

maiden77 wrote:
Recently started using Kozilek. Mainly for the card draw. The countering clause can be useful, but the mana curve of the deck is very weird, given the high end cards I am casting. Leading the counter ability to be pretty rare. But still applicable.

I recommend keeping your mana rocks diverse and loading up a bunch of them, spreading them out to between 3-5 drop accelerators. Not only will this help you get Kozzy out quicker, but it makes them a lot less of a dead draw in late game, plus they're easy to unload when you need to drop the boss down again. Keep playing the deck, you haven't really lived until you've countered a Terastodon with a Desolation Twin or a Brainstorm with a Sol Ring.

With regards to the OP... respectfully, no, I don't see any of these changes happening any time soon, nor would I really want to. As has been mentioned, multitudes of threads exist on all the cards mentioned.

If your playgroup is having problems with Kaalia, consider running cards that punish your opponents for going into the red zone. No Mercy works wonders against her, for example.

For pre-Tenth Ed. cards, just make sure that someone in your playgroup has easy access to Gatherer or another way to get Oracle Text. Most MTG trading apps come with this built-in.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 12:48 am 

You need to do your homework. This list contains all sorts of problems that indicate you have not taken the time to understand the current ban list in general or even the specific cards you are talking about.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 2:24 am 

Joz? Is that you?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 3:38 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Joz? Is that you?

:D

I doubt it. Unban PoK? Not Joz.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 4:27 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
Joz? Is that you?

:D

I doubt it. Unban PoK? Not Joz.

Not to mention he'd be a lot more forgiving for pre-8th Ed. cards, since that broad category includes his beloved Homelands.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 5:58 am 

crokaycete wrote:
You need to do your homework. This list contains all sorts of problems that indicate you have not taken the time to understand the current ban list in general or even the specific cards you are talking about.

I second this. Your explanations of some of the cards show that you don't fully understand how they work, so your impression of them is definitely inaccurate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 6:26 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 7:36 am 

niheloim wrote:
I think I may need to sig this!

Offline Profile