Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-13 6:48 pm

Post subject: Re: My Thoughts: Prophet of Kruphix, Emrakul, Sorin Markov+ more
AgePosted: 2016-May-17 9:17 pm 

best way to deal with kaalia, prison cards. I have a kaalia deck, and its so gutting to spit her out only to see her [[arrest]]ed or [[faith's fetters]]'d. Killing her is temporary, but still works. And i usually have 8ish pieces of spot removal in my decks, meaning i can actually see one in the first 4 turns usually. As do my mates, meaning her, mayael, etc, the 'fair but broken' commanders, can all be dealt with easily and make everyone play on an even field. I say 'fair but broken' as in, in a 'normal' meta full of creature decks without combos, people are ramping and setting up etc, and then come down the slightly faster commanders like kaalia and mayael that can be back breaking for a casual meta, especially early on. Some interaction in the beginning reign them in nicely and lets everyone play the game on a similar level

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-18 4:51 am 

RaiRai wrote:
Ancestral Recall
Sure drawing this first turn would nice but I would take in consideration the availability this card, and the cost of it.

That's the worst time to cast it in this format.

RaiRai wrote:
Sorin Markov, The Planeswalker, wih the -3 ability opponents life becomes 10 is gamebreaking early on and turns a 20 to 30 turn game then makes only ten. Its nonsense and it promotes an anti-social play, especially due to its ability to change the pace of game drastically.

I didn't know people liked playing 20-30 turn games. Yuck, but do as thou wilt i guess.
I'm trying to figure something out. Why is Emrakul ok to you? He comes down way earlier than turn 15 and then makes someone sacrifice a ton of permanents. That is antisocial. This ends games faster than turn 20. ??

RaiRai wrote:
The only thing to really counter her early on is Grafdigger's cage but thats a given if you even draw it

Well... you're going to hate Kaalia even more right now, cause Grafdigger's Cage does not do to Kaalia anything you think it does.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-18 6:49 am 

RaiRai wrote:
I know some of my thoughts are a little far out there but when you play against some of these cards in real life and online, they can be overwhelming in a casual format, though for some I suggested underwhelming.
It sounds like you think your experience is more through and relevant that others who disagree. I doubt very many people who play EDH have more experience or insight than the ones who frequent this site. Read a little more, lots of good stuff out there.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-20 11:19 am 

moraff wrote:
So Rairai, welcome to the commander forums.

Please, before you decide to become a burden regular to the commander community, I can see you've given a LOT of time and effort to your card choices, for your post and have read the first page of this forum and joined in the discussions there, (which go over several of your card choices in depth and detail) and have read the ban announcements that cover the cards, as well as the ban list philosophy, I will reciprocate in kind and provide the same amount of time and effort that you have, it's only fair to treat others as we like to be treated, especially when we all engage in worth while discussion in earnest.

That said, I think the response can be best summed up by replacing card in your orginal post with one of the following:

Mindslaver, Forbid and Magister of Worth

If you'll figure out which of those three cards above deserve to be banned, I think we'll all be able to agree and sleep better at night.

I apologize for the tone and shortness of the message, I had a much longer one written, but my browser decided to crash, so I left in all the important bits I could remember.

Mindslaver
For 10 mana to control someone's turn, its slightly worse than Worst Fears which costs 8 cmc, but its a recoverable artifact and in a BG mana ramp, its exploitable to some degree but not worth banning.

Forbid
Indefinitely i would ban this card because in a Black Blue deck, it could easily cause a game to go South rather fast, especially if a card says gain x life for every card in graveyard or creature' power and toughness are X each card in graveyard. Not mention particularly if they are drawing several cards per turn in order to counter everything.

Magister of Worth
I wanted her for my Anti Kaalia deck, and she looks pretty legit as a commander, particularly for her Will of the Council ability that can pair well with Atheros god of passage. She be like way down my hitlist for a bannable card, especially since her ability can be nulled by suppression bonds. Not really that bannable of a card

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-20 7:54 pm 

RaiRai wrote:
Mindslaver
For 10 mana to control someone's turn, its slightly worse than Worst Fears which costs 8 cmc, but its a recoverable artifact and in a BG mana ramp, its exploitable to some degree but not worth banning.

Forbid
Indefinitely i would ban this card because in a Black Blue deck, it could easily cause a game to go South rather fast, especially if a card says gain x life for every card in graveyard or creature' power and toughness are X each card in graveyard. Not mention particularly if they are drawing several cards per turn in order to counter everything.

Magister of Worth
I wanted her for my Anti Kaalia deck, and she looks pretty legit as a commander, particularly for her Will of the Council ability that can pair well with Atheros god of passage. She be like way down my hitlist for a bannable card, especially since her ability can be nulled by suppression bonds. Not really that bannable of a card

1. Mindslaver is an easily recurring player control card. Ever heard of a Mindslaver lock or a Slaver lock?

2. Forbid can ruin games, but not because of life gain. Not even remotely.

3. Magister of Worth isn't even legendary.

Offline Profile