[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - A couple minor rule ideas

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 7:58 am

Post subject: A couple minor rule ideas
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 7:51 am 

Okay, to contribute a little more positively to the EDH community and hopefully add to some dynamics of the game, I came up with a couple rule ideas:

1. You can only use wish like effects to play cards inside your commanders color identity, and or colorless.

Someone suggested this in another thread and I thought it was a particularly fair idea for a rule since we might be getting new effects like that in the near future. It would also make wish cards playable, like the new Coax from the beyond, as well as others.

2. Devoid provides a Colorless card identity

Not exactly a rule I expect to go through but I and few others would love to make Eldrazi tribal decks with the titans as our commanders. Now you're gonna say "How are you going to produce colored mana in a colorless deck?" welp, its redundantly easy to do so. One drawback to this rule ROE that lack devoid ability and maybe some of Eldritch moon eldrazi, but it would allow for some interestint decks to be constructed.

3. If a player takes extra turns past the current number of players, A: Automatically loses; B: Each player gains additional turn

Something that we've discussed in the forums, and I would like to discuss since decks that rely on produce multiple turns repeatedly gets old quick and is considerably a douche move when another play basically takes 4 additional turns. I don't know what would be fair to compensate for that, which is why I am more along the lines suggesting this.

4. The Terra Firma Mulligan, a player at the start of a game may search for three basic lands at the beginning of the game and draw two cards, and shuffle their deck.

A special mulligan in case for those who are getting repeatedly mana screwed at the start of game. I'm assuming a lot of people have mulligan out or ducked out cause of little to no mana, and its happed to me a number of times even when I have 40 lands. This mulligan would help mitigate the problem of getting land screwed out of a decent starting mana based.

Anyways tell me ya'll what ya think?

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A couple minor rule ideas
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 8:49 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 8:53 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 9:06 am 

Actually sideboarding in commander should be a thing which is agreeable in most conditions, and with my Kruphix deck, I'd would be nice to have Ulamog and other eldrazi sitting on the sidelines then use Spawnsire of Ulamog to bring em in

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 9:10 am 

Tha main problem with the devoid rule is that actually writing a rule for it would be fairly inelegant. I dont mind too much but the value of such a rule is limited, unless you are already playing those colours you need multicoloured rocks to do it, which seems like a pretty niche application. Rules should be kept as simple as possible and adding exceptions to rules adds unneeded complexity.

Extra turns are part of the game, is someone wants to take infinite turns, good on them, I usually just take out my phone and ask them to let me know when they are done playing with themselves. Any attempt to stop them results in effectively banning half a dozen cards. Some people hate extra turns, some people like to play solitaire, let them play their time walks and just go play another game with everyone else while they take all the turns.

More mulligans rules are unnecessary. If your group want to use your land mulligan all good, but the reason we dont use partial paris anymore was to bring us in line with every other magic format, I dont see that changing.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 9:39 am 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 9:49 am 

I was worried, bit now I recognize RaiRai as the comedic genius that zhe (not a typo, look it up) is.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 10:32 am 

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown () ♦ BW Enchantments ()

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 11:01 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 11:17 am 

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown () ♦ BW Enchantments ()

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 12:31 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 1:36 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 2:22 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

We got rid of the sideboard optional rule. Don't expect it to come back. I can't refute the argument "well, I could use a sideboard to do <this>." You're right, you could. If sideboards were legal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 3:06 pm 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-22 2:41 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile