Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 8:19 am

Post subject: Ban Suggestion: Reprocussion, Burgeoning, and Awakening
AgePosted: 2016-May-25 3:39 am 

Okay, after several fairly normal commander matches with the exception of encountering several board altering cards that I discovered.

Repercussion 3 CMC
Enchantment
[Whenever a creature is dealt damage, Repercussion deals that much damage to that creature's controller.]

Now you'd assume such a card is harmless enough but I discover this card is severly broken due to the fact when paired with bolt spells, or in the case I encountered, paired with Blasphemous act, it makes said bolt spells the equivalent of a nuclear bomb. The worst part is that with this particular combination or any similiar, Anyone with say at least four creatues or creature tokens, is going to be immediately butchered from the game. I propose this one be banned based on the philosophy it alters the game in ways that are unfun and unfair, or at least placed on watchlist

Burgeoning 1 cmc
Enchantment
[Whenever an opponent plays a land, you may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.]

This Green Enchantment I encountered when someone plays it first turn immediately turns the boardstate into something rather undesirable, allowing its owner on his second turn to cast particularly large or threatening creatures, and or play something that is normally cast turn 5. In the match I encountered it, me and two other players voted to eject its controller merely based on that card alone, not mention he played Awakening which is another card I will get to in a shortly. I believe this should be banned for the fact it creates an undesirable board state, as it did for us in for that particular situation

Awakening 4 Cmc
Enchantment
Players untap all lands and all creatures during each players upkeep

I encountered this card in two instances the other day online, while the first time was less than agreeable and the second was ran by a player using a hug me deck, who completely neuteured three other player to the point where we couldn't even bolt each other. Mechanically speaking, this card is considerably overpowered, and changes the board state severely, particulary if an opponent is running a card like Upwelling, Kruphix, God of Horizions, or Omnath locus of mana. Now it isnt high priority to ban in my opinion but should be at least placed on a watchlist since its essentially an older version of prophet of Kruphix

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ban Suggestion: Reprocussion, Burgeoning, and Awakening
AgePosted: 2016-May-25 3:48 am 

You understand the banning criteria? These are potentially powerful but not banable cards. Not even close.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 3:50 am 

You still haven't done your homework.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 4:03 am 

You should probably avoid suggesting bans until you have a better idea of how this format works.

None of these are at all game breaking. The Repercussions one is even an epic play.

Burgeoning is only good on turn 1 with a land heavy hand and draws enough aggro that the benefits are quickly outweighed by the threat you've drawn. Unless you also have card draw in your opening hand it's just a bad play.

Awakening is far from Prophet. It untaps creatures and lands for everyone. How much more fair can you get with the effect? Even Seedborn Muse that's a stronger untap and just for you still doesn't compare to prophet. Not even a little bit.

This format is defined by powerful spells and epic plays. Card synergies and politics. Stop trying to make it so bears and squires are the only options.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 4:08 am 

At least he/she seems to understand how the cards work this time. That's progress!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 5:05 am 

RaiRai use the search function. These cards have come up before.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 6:24 am 

I don't understand what is happening here...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 6:50 am 

niheloim wrote:
I don't understand what is happening here...

You do, but you're too polite to say it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 7:38 am 

RaiRai wrote:
its essentially an older version of prophet of Kruphix

None of those cards are banworthy, but this line just made me laugh. Comparing Awakening to Prophet of Kruphix is like comparing a hand grenade to a nuclear bomb.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 8:29 am 

They both kill people, ban both

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 8:32 am 

I really don't want to sound too harsh RaiRai but it really sounds like you want every card that has ever beaten you banned. That's not really how the banned list works.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 8:37 am 

MRHblue wrote:
They both kill people, ban both

Savannah Lions kill people.

Besides, I've never seen anyone die to Awakening or Prophet. As proximate causes, yes, but I've never seen them kill anyone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 8:59 am 
EDH Rules Committee

MRHblue wrote:

Actually, I'm not sure they have. Burgeoning every once in a while, I guess.

Pray he never discovers Vicious Shadows.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 9:18 am 

papa_funk wrote:
MRHblue wrote:

Actually, I'm not sure they have. Burgeoning every once in a while, I guess.

Pray he never discovers Vicious Shadows.

Never seen Burgeoning as a "ban this" card. Usually more of a "why is your deck not running this it's so OP".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-25 1:49 pm 

I don't even LIKE Burgeoning very much. Sure it's neat when you can drop it turn 1 (preferably playing first) and have several lands to drop with it... but later on it feels really underwhelming. I much prefer Exploration, which does what it does consistently, and doesn't rely on your opponents to do something... If I draw 5 cards turn 10 and four are lands, my opponents having land drops is nowhere near a certainty.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile