Sovarius wrote:
What is the 75% concept?

Read this: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/author/jasonalt/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ban Suggestion: Reprocussion, Burgeoning, and Awakening
AgePosted: 2016-May-28 3:20 pm 

Baron Cappuccino wrote:
Carthain wrote:
However, asking about cards, and strategies to combat other cards/strategies are more than welcome.

That would be incredibly welcome, format wide, as the default solution to problem cards. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's read forum venom when answers and strategies are suggested to problems. From house-ruling problem cards, to the 75% concept, fun as a format concept - the realistic solution to Rairai's problem is, unfortunately, suggesting he tell the others in his playgroup to lower their power level so that he wins more matches. It's always the winners who have to adjust, or so it seems, if you only read message boards. Suggesting self improvement would take the format in too spikey a direction.

There's a difference between suggesting self improvement and a WAAC attitude. The best answer is almost always to allow a newer player, like Rairai appears to be, to learn. This means talking after games about answers, making in-game suggestions, and generally living up to the social aspect of the format. It also means potentially adjusting your play and deck power to meet a newer player in the middle. Of course, it requires a willing student as well.

My playgroup has improved immensely in play and deck building due largely to incremental improvements. We each tend to rotate through top dog as we learn from each other. There are some limits - whether implicit, explicit, or self-imposed - that we respect, but playing down is insulting and unhelpful to the development of a player.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-30 1:28 am 

NMS wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
Someone can easily spawn a "metric ton" of tokens under someone else's control? Do tell.

There are some: Hunted Phantasm, Varchild's War-Riders, Alliance of Arms, Infernal Genesis, Tombstone Stairwell.

I don't think a 3-card (4 if you need a sac outlet) combo with Repercussion and mass burn is a big problem though.

I don't think I'd consider any of those as a "metric ton" of tokens and most of those even require hoops to jump through. You certainly won't be forcing a ton of tokens into other players controls and no one will be paying into cards like Alliance of Arms when they know you're playing a repercussions deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-30 4:46 am 

This thread makes me want to play more Repercussion.

Phelddagrif / Questing Phelddagrif ?

:D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-05 2:54 pm 

tarnar wrote:
This thread makes me want to play more Repercussion.

Phelddagrif / Questing Phelddagrif ?

:D

The first thing I thought of when I saw The Great Aurora was that I could make infinite green, give all my opponents infinite hippo tokens, then make everyone else draw out.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-06 7:06 pm 

Carthain wrote:
Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
More often, it just acts as another copy of Bedlam. Also, aside from Acts, there aren't that many other cards that explode with it unless you pour roughly half a million mana into them
I'm assuming you mean stuff like Fireball and Comet Storm? Keep in mind there are things like Chain Reaction and Starstorm which can do a fair bit of damage (as you say, depending on board state) with small (or smaller) amounts of damage.

My brother loved combining Repercussion with AEther Flash and then giving people tokens with Forbidden Orchard (this was not in EDH, so he could run 4 copies of each.)

One of my favourite decks to play is a creatureless Oros, the Avenger, and it contains some of the mentioned cards along with Repercussion. The deck is rather glorious, if not borderline suicidal.

That said, I think Repercussion has won me a whole...one game, though it's contributed to people dying (I used Fault Line to win that game). Typically, it gets removed quickly, or people play more carefully, or just remove me from the game. When people see it, there is usually a few eyebrows being raised, but rarely every is there panic or anger, and this is at the LGS.

Offline Profile