Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-19 7:01 am

Post subject: How does a Commander behave in the "Command Zone"
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 9:45 pm 

How does a Commander behave in the "Command Zone"?

I have a question that I will try and simplify by using Avacyn, Angel of Hope.

Let's assume the games starts now, and I get to summon a one drop white 1/1 creature.

1) Does this mean the 1/1 creature is indestructible because of Avacyn, Angel of Hope's ability stating "Other permanents you control have indestructible."?

How does the abilities work while the Commander is in his "Command Zone"?

And yes... I have never played Commander before, looking at building my first deck :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: How does a Commander behave in the "Command Zone"
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 11:05 pm 

The command zone is like exile, but different. The commander does not count as being on the battlefield while there, and so none of the abilities would function. You cannot even use abilities that would be played "from hand" like Ninjitsu.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 11:16 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
The command zone is like exile, but different. The commander does not count as being on the battlefield while there, and so none of the abilities would function. You cannot even use abilities that would be played "from hand" like Ninjitsu.

Thank you for the reply. Just a follow up question on that.

If I have Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas.

1) So does he get experience counters while he is in the "Command Zone"?
2) What happens to his experience counters when he dies and go back to the "Command Zone"?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 11:27 pm 

If you read Kalemne more closely, you'll realize it is YOU and not her, that are getting the counters.

But the ability will not trigger in the CZ. She must be on the battlefield for you to gain those counters.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 11:27 pm 

She doesn't give you experience counters while in the command zone, as abilities don't work when a card is not on the battlefield unless explicitly stated. Experience counters will remain, as Kalamne's ability gives you experience counters. If she had counters on her card, they would go away when she leaves the battlefield as normal.

Tangentially related I dea: 5c experience counter deck, with all the experience counter commanders in it. They all just check how many counters you have, so any experience you gain helps them all.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 11:49 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
If you read Kalemne more closely, you'll realize it is YOU and not her, that are getting the counters.

But the ability will not trigger in the CZ. She must be on the battlefield for you to gain those counters.

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
She doesn't give you experience counters while in the command zone, as abilities don't work when a card is not on the battlefield unless explicitly stated. Experience counters will remain, as Kalamne's ability gives you experience counters. If she had counters on her card, they would go away when she leaves the battlefield as normal.

Tangentially related I dea: 5c experience counter deck, with all the experience counter commanders in it. They all just check how many counters you have, so any experience you gain helps them all.

Ok thank you for clarifying that for me.

Just to see if I understand this correctly, if I have Mikaeus, the Lunarch.

If I play him first time as (0)(3)(P), he enters the battle field with 3 counters. If I manage to tap him 3 times making him a 0/0 by giving all my other creatures +1/+1 counters, he goes back to my "Command Zone".
So next time I play him as (2)(1)(P), he enters the battle field with one counter on him. If I tap him to gain one counter and next turn my opponent plays Murder on him. He leaves back to the command zone.
So the third time I play him, I lost the two counters he still had before leaving the battle field.

Is that correct?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-24 12:07 am 

Yes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-24 12:22 am 

Yes. Whenever any card ever leaves the battlefield, it loses all counters. The only exceptions are explicitly stated on the card, such as Skullbriar.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-24 1:51 am 

As far as I know, Oloro is the only commander that"does something " while in the Command Zone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-24 2:17 am 

cryogen wrote:
As far as I know, Oloro is the only commander that"does something " while in the Command Zone.

Derevi has an ability you can play from the CZ as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-24 3:58 am 

dTHQb wrote:

Mine usually sits around in its underwear, drinking beer until I drag it out of the house and force it to make good decisions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-24 5:31 am 
EDH Rules Committee

majikal wrote:
dTHQb wrote:

Mine usually sits around in its underwear, drinking beer until I drag it out of the house and force it to make good decisions.

That's pretty much what the art to Oloro looks like to me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-24 7:18 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
cryogen wrote:

I considered her and Command Beacon to be more interactions with. I got the impression that the OP was thinking that a Commander could do something just while sitting in the Command Zone drinking beer in their underwear.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-27 1:54 pm 

cryogen wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
cryogen wrote:

I considered her and Command Beacon to be more interactions with. I got the impression that the OP was thinking that a Commander could do something just while sitting in the Command Zone drinking beer in their underwear.

Drinking beer in one's underwear prevents one from doing anything.

Except drink more beer and possibly lose the underwear.

Most of the time, though, after getting killed off the field, my Commanders tend to pout in their tents like Achilles until I can bribe them to come out with some kind of extra "something".

Offline Profile