Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-19 6:48 am

Post subject: appropriate cost
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-26 3:20 am 

I've been pondering this for a time and think I'm ok with 4 mana.

We've played with Time walk in days passed, but not as an extra turn, but as a player skips next turn. 2 seems a bit low. So, in a multiplayer setting, Target player skips his or her next turn at 2UU sorcery? Strictly better than time warp in 1v1, but very different in multiplayer...

or, would such a card prove problematic in your metas and need to cost more?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: appropriate cost
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-26 6:13 am 

Silence costs just W, and is often times just as effective.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-26 7:55 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Also Orim's Chant kicked for WW.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-26 8:31 am 

So maybe the problem is about colour. It might not have a good cost in blue, although the 6-mana Time Stop exists, but in white, you can get by with W or WW.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-26 8:56 am 

Orin's Chant and Time Stop were sorta my go to comparisons.

White got it cheap, but Blue needed to pay 6 mana. Yes Orim allows for drawing and other activations, but 2 is a big difference compared to 6...

I was thinking Time Stop was an extra 2 for being an Instant, But if it were a sorcery it would have to either be really wordy Target player skips [list all phases until the end] or just skips next turn.

My issue with blue is that its blue- that is, a little obnoxious. But i really like the feeling of "Target Player skips his or her next turn." It carries the right connotation of "suck it punk" over something like Time Stop.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-26 10:24 am 

niheloim wrote:
I was thinking Time Stop was an extra 2 for being an Instant, But if it were a sorcery it would have to either be really wordy Target player skips [list all phases until the end] or just skips next turn.

As a sorcery that skipped target player's next turn, you couldn't use it as a counter spell or a fog, so that extra is often worth it.

3UU is pretty solidly established as the fair cost for an extra turn spell. I'd say 2UW to make somebody skip or 1UUU would be pushed but not broken. I wouldn't drop below CMC 5 if it were for a Modern legal set.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-26 11:10 am 

JJackson wrote:
niheloim wrote:

As a sorcery that skipped target player's next turn, you couldn't use it as a counter spell or a fog, so that extra is often worth it.

3UU is pretty solidly established as the fair cost for an extra turn spell. I'd say 2UW to make somebody skip or 1UUU would be pushed but not broken. I wouldn't drop below CMC 5 if it were for a Modern legal set.

If the card were worded as "target player skips their next turn", it would almost have to be priced at UU3. In a duel, what is the difference between taking an extra turn and forcing your opponent skip theirs?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-26 11:29 am 

cryogen wrote:
In a duel, what is the difference between taking an extra turn and forcing your opponent skip theirs?

Ugin's Nexus doesn't hose the turn-skipping effect.

It could also end up in a different turn order if both players fire them off on the same turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-26 5:12 pm 

JJackson wrote:
niheloim wrote:

yeah... i wouldnt expect to see this at less than time warp cost if wizards printed it.

if I mock it up I might try 1UUU.

Offline Profile