Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-21 2:04 pm

Post subject: Sepulchral Primordial
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 12:49 pm 

Sepulchral Primordial

Played a game where this was bribery from a deck, then between board wipes and spot remvoal, was reanimated or cloned about 15 times, along with multiple living deaths. This isnt the first game something similar happened. This card is bonkers, possibly bannable.
Discuss

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sepulchral Primordial
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 12:59 pm 

But why is it a potential card to ban?

Most people when they think something should be banned, go about giving out points of why it should be. You.... summed up one game and said it's had similar situations in other games.

That's really not the same as actually giving any reasons why it should be a candidate for banning.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 1:14 pm 

Evasive, excellent ETB trigger, not durable, CMC is about on curve for the ability. 4BB would be pushed, but not excessively so. Becomes severely overcosted when Rest in Peace, Ground Seal, Anafenza, the Foremost or any other broad grave hate is in play.

It's splashy, easy to interact with, and marginally costed. It's not a card I see in many lists, though I'd say it's underutilized. I can't see the case for banning.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 1:40 pm 

havocentral wrote:
Sylvan Primordial

Played a game where this was bribery from a deck, then between board wipes and spot remvoal, was reanimated or cloned about 15 times, along with multiple living deaths. This isnt the first game something similar happened. This card is bonkers, possibly bannable.
Discuss

FTFY

Man, that brings back memories. Those were some crazy days.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 2:46 pm 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
Man, that brings back memories. Those were some crazy days.

I'm not feeling very nostalgic for those days.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-28 5:45 pm 

Left unchecked, this guy can go hog wild, but really, can't the same be said about dozens of creatures? And even if he does go on a reanimating spree, it heavily depends on not only your own 'yard, but also on what other players have there to determine how much it can actually do.

I can see crazy and obnoxious things happening, I saw something pretty sick myself once with a sac outlet, blinking engine and a Kokusho, the evening star in an opponents yard. But that's not often seen, very situation-dependent, and usually easily disrupted. So no, not even close to being ban worthy.

Now SP, THAT was a primordial that we can do without. Before the banning, we had a house rule that SP couldn't be copied or recursed, that didn't work because he would get blinked all the time. Then we tried to 'fix' it by house errata-ing it to say that the player who lost a permanent could search for a basic, like Path to exile, but that made him not worth playing. In the end, we settled on changing 'for each opponent' to 'target opponent', and then he could still be problematic. I think it's one of only three cards we ever had house rules about, not counting silver bordered cards we allowed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-29 1:38 am 

What does this do when cheated in on turn 2? Nothing. What does this do in a meta with sufficient grave hate? Nothing. This is only "good" in very specific circumstances that are very easy to combat. I would play Puppeteer Clique over this every time... It's cheaper, paints less of a target on your head and is far easier to exploit. It's also rare that all 3-4 opponents have "good" targets to recur so the part of it hitting everyone vs just 1 isn't often that beneficial. This is barely playable outside of a good stuff deck. Certainly not ban worthy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-29 6:09 am 

The craziest thing he does is reanimate clones....

Honestly no that bad. Hard to hate someone for copying him/his tactic for value. You know all of that would never have happened with like 2 counterspells, a Faerie Macabre, or a Rest in Peace right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-06 12:00 am 

Sepulchral Primordial is much more dependent on who you’re playing against. I don’t like to exile graveyards and I love playing creatures so he is very good against me. Sepulchral is much weaker when one of your opponents is playing a hard control deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-08 8:15 pm 

havocentral wrote:
Sepulchral Primordial

Discuss

Sounds like fun times and fun games!!! Not powerful enough to warrant a ban. Just like many, MANY other cards it can be exploited in the right deck/setup. But this makes for some very fun and interesting games in my opinion.

Offline Profile