Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 6:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why is Emrakul still banned? - A pleading
AgePosted: 2016-Jul-28 10:37 am 

I'm more scared of Emrakul, the Aeons Torn than this new uppity FSM, even though she's banned so I don't even have to worry about facing her.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-29 2:51 am 

I think new Emrakul is a much better card for EDH than the old one. The Aeons Torn was much more threatening if cheated out (and in a particularly game-ruining way). The Promised End is just a huge fatty with resistance to spot removal if cheated, which is perfectly fine. The Aeons Torn was typically game over if hardcast, but 15 is a ton of mana, even in this format. The new Emrakul is going to be a big swing if cast, but is going to cost a large but reasonable amount like 8-10.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-29 9:39 am 

Emra-cruel was never fun. The new one is "better" in so much that its playable and not banned.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-31 7:12 am 

Lots of whining about Emrakul. It is just a game would just as soon lose to Emrakul as some infinite combo kill that wipes the board.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-31 7:24 am 

tackle74 wrote:
Lots of whining about Emrakul. It is just a game would just as soon lose to Emrakul as some infinite combo kill that wipes the board.

Combos aren't one card. Combos don't make the entire game about sticking one. Combos make the game end immediately, and don't drag it out. If you had ever played in a half competent meta at the time it was legal, you'd understand this .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-31 3:10 pm 

Marit Lage wrote:
tackle74 wrote:

Combos aren't one card. Combos don't make the entire game about sticking one. Combos make the game end immediately, and don't drag it out. If you had ever played in a half competent meta at the time it was legal, you'd understand this .

QFT.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-01 6:17 am 

Marit Lage wrote:
tackle74 wrote:

Not the point it is a game and I don't get mad at Armageddon or discard or an Emmy wrecking me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-01 7:35 am 

tackle74 wrote:
Not the point it is a game and I don't get mad at Armageddon or discard or an Emmy wrecking me.
Armageddon is used to seal a game when that player has enough to kill his opponents. It requires a board presence. Usually substantial. That is not one card wrecking your game. Clearly you don't understand Armageddon if you think it's primary purpose is to destroy you lands for the sake of destroying them.

Mind Twist is rough, but mass discard doesn't win multi-player games. In this case, you still have access to your commander and the game continues.

Emrakul is in a league of her own. You can't compare them. At all. She dodges most removal, she's the most easily abused card type, she's colorless, and if you can cast her, she has built in haste while untapping all your permanents.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-02 2:45 am 

Marit Lage wrote:
tackle74 wrote:
Armageddon is used to seal a game when that player has enough to kill his opponents. It requires a board presence. Usually substantial. That is not one card wrecking your game. Clearly you don't understand Armageddon if you think it's primary purpose is to destroy you lands for the sake of destroying them.

Emrakul is in a league of her own. You can't compare them. At all. She dodges most removal, she's the most easily abused card type, she's colorless, and if you can cast her, she has built in haste while untapping all your permanents.

Clearly your a pompous SOB. I used Geddon back in the black summer in ErnhamGeddon and know perfectly how to use it. You just don't seem to understand that I simply do not care if Emrakul on her own can wreck a game because this is the key point it is a GAME. I used Armageddon in comparison because so many people hate the card as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-02 3:11 am 

tackle74 wrote:
You just don't seem to understand that I simply do not care if Emrakul on her own can wreck a game because this is the key point it is a GAME.

Yeah, who cares if the game is fun? It is just a game after all.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-02 3:48 am 

JJackson wrote:
tackle74 wrote:
You just don't seem to understand that I simply do not care if Emrakul on her own can wreck a game because this is the key point it is a GAME.

I'm really scratchng my head on this one... no wait. I get it after all. Games are meant to be unfun suckfests. yes, please unban emrakul. in fact, lets have a rule forcing everyone to run a copy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-02 3:52 am 

tackle74 wrote:
Marit Lage wrote:
tackle74 wrote:

this is a fair point. I dont mind if a game doesnt go my way, but thats not how emmy plays out in practice. not everyone is content to lose or get wrecked. Emrakul was rarely an inconsequential play. Someone was getting smashed and usually in a lop-sided way.

Emrakul was never fun. It deserves a ban. House rules and mileage may vary.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-02 4:18 am 

JJackson wrote:
tackle74 wrote:

Yeah, it's not like Commander is a casual format or anything. It's not like people need to be able to enjoy it or anything, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-02 11:24 am 

tackle74 wrote:
Clearly your a pompous SOB. I used Geddon back in the black summer in ErnhamGeddon and know perfectly how to use it. You just don't seem to understand that I simply do not care if Emrakul on her own can wreck a game because this is the key point it is a GAME. I used Armageddon in comparison because so many people hate the card as well.

Tackle, we need to talk.

Firstly, calling someone a pompous SOB in your first few posts on a forum isnt going to win you any respect. The comment may be accurate, but you could get to know how the place works before throwing insults around. Playing Armageddon in standard does not qualify you to know it's place in commander.

Secondly you may want to take some time to browse the forums and get a feel for how we do things here. Im far from the most experienced poster, but what I have learned is that most people around here espouse the ideas of fun and casual commander games. They want to sit down and have a good back and forth interactive game where they play some spells, the opponents play some spells and eventually someone wins.

The focus here is on interaction, all players doing things. While it's just a game, and we shouldnt get upset about losing, I dont think it's unreasonable to be annoyed when someone briberies an emrakul out early, and smacks me with it, putting me to zero permanents. This would mean I dont actually get to play the game. If I'm not playing, it's no longer "just a game", It's me sitting around saying draw-go while other people play.

Now the logical response is to say "You can interact with geddon/emmy/whatever, you just use these spells", and it's not hard to find cards you can use to fight something. However the concern is that Emrakul and many other cards on the banned list, drastically reduce and discourage interaction. If you dont answer Emrakul when she is played, you are unlikely to be able to interact in the future.

In summary, I dont mind losing, losing is good, it means I get to play a new game, what I dont like is being neutered and left to die slowly and without a fight. Basically, when it comes to commander, I want you to stab me through the heart, not cut off my balls.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-02 12:38 pm 

tackle74 wrote:
Does that somehow make you better than anyone who does have an issue?
Quote:
Clearly your a pompous SOB.
Before taking a shot at someone, check your (note the correct usage) grammar.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next