Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-17 12:26 am

Post subject: Re: a bunch of rule questions
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-11 12:01 pm 

mishkins11 wrote:
zameck guildmage <- does additional mean they had to have a counter to get a extra counter from guildmage? like would any creature entering get a counter?

No. Thats to clarify if they were already coming in with counters.

If they would come in with zero, they come in with one.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-11 8:34 pm 

mishkins11 wrote:
grasp of fate if you remove a commander from the game do you have the option to move it to the command zone or does it always get removed or always go to command zone, if it goes to the command zone and grasp of fate is destroyed does he still return to play>?
Whenever your commander goes anywhere from the battlefield, you have the option to put it into the command zone, even if an opponent controls your turn through Mindslaver or the new Emrakul. Basically, the only way to get rid of a commander permanently is to trick the player. For example, I was playing my Ephara deck and targeted my opponent's Wrexial with Fiend Hunter. He let it go to exile, thinking it's better for him to wait for Hunter to die than recasting Wrexial. But when that happened, I had a Stifle ready to counter Hunter's trigger, so Wrexial remained in exile for the rest of the game.
Quote:
lightmine field ensnaring bridge

you attack with 2 creatures each has melee, 2 different opponents, they are 2/2 each and the person controlling lightmine and bridge has 2 cards in hand.

Can they attack? Will lightmine field kill them? again why plz
They can attack, but they die. The reason is that Ensnaring Bridge works sooner, possibly forbidding a creature to attack at all, which is necessary for melee and Lightmine Field to trigger. So you can attack, but when you actually do, triggers go to stack and since you're the active player, yours go to the stack first and the Field goes last, which means that since the stack resolves backwards (commonly referred to as "first in, last out"), what hapens is that your creatures will get killed by the Field before they get the bonus from melee.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-12 12:28 am 

Antis wrote:
Whenever your commander goes anywhere from the battlefield, you have the option to put it into the command zone, even if an opponent controls your turn through Mindslaver or the new Emrakul.

Is that an official rule? Or just a house rule you play by? As far as I know, that's just a house rule -- but if it's official, I'd love to know that (and know when it was changed.) :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-13 8:22 am 

cryogen wrote:
mishkins11 wrote:
managorger hydra

if I cast a spell and someone counterspells it, how many counters are placed on managorger

2. The trigger doesn't check whether a spell is successfully cast, only if something was cast in the first place.

If you really want to get into semantics here, it DOES check if the spell was successfully cast, since "cast" in magic means "pay the costs and put on the stack". Whether it resolves is another matter entirely.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-15 6:30 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
If you really want to get into semantics here, it DOES check if the spell was successfully cast, since "cast" in magic means "pay the costs and put on the stack". Whether it resolves is another matter entirely.

You're mixing pre-stack and post-stack terminology. "Successfully cast" is a term used on cards printed before Urza's Saga to indicate whether a spell has been played. Cards printed after the change from batches to stack use "play", which is still used when a land is involved.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-17 5:40 pm 

mishkins11 wrote:
llanowar reborn zameck guildmage hardened scales All in play, activate guildmages's additional counter ability, play a creature and move a +1/+1 counter from llanowar to the creature, how many counters does it get? Does hardend scales add an extra counter to the one from the land and the one from guildmages ability giving him 4 counters?? why or why not

The creature gets four counters. The Llanowar ability and the guildmage ability are different abilities, so Hardened Scales makes both of them give the creature an additional counter.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Last edited by Malekoda on 2016-Sep-17 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-17 6:28 pm 

Antis wrote:
Whenever your commander goes anywhere from the battlefield, you have the option to put it into the command zone, even if an opponent controls your turn through Mindslaver or the new Emrakul.

This is actually false, just so you know.

The movement of a commander to the command zone can be made in lieu of having them go to graveyard, exile or deck (still has to go to hand if bounced), so long as you are in control of yourself.

If a person manages to exile your commander while they have control of your turn, via something like Sorin Markov's ultimate, Worst Fears, Emrakul, the Promised End or Mindslaver, they make ALL decisions you would/could make, including letting it go to exile.

While this is typically frowned upon and against the spirit of the game, it is indeed a legal play for the game/format. Anything to the contrary is a house rule.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 1:56 am 

Carthain wrote:
mishkins11 wrote:
now what if you had have sanguine bond and Exquisite Blood in play at the same time and an opponent losses life or you gain life, does it create an infinite loop and fizzle doing nothing?

It will create an almost infinite loop. But it will continually drain your opponent until they die. Once that player dies, the cards won't trigger and the loop will stop itself (in the case of multiplayer - in single player you will most likely have won.)

In the case that the player can't lose (such as, they have a Platinum Angel in play), then that loop will be infinite, and will cause a draw unless someone destroys one of the enchantments.

Actually, you choose a target for Sanguine Bond's trigger each time you put it on the stack, so you can switch players and drain all your opponents to death (unless one of them doesn't lose the game for having 0 or less life, in which case it'll be a draw between the surviving players). However, the targeted player can break the loop by conceding the game with the trigger on the stack, saving the others, at least until the next time you gain life or any of your opponents loses life.

crimsonwings3689 wrote:
Antis wrote:

This is actually false, just so you know.

The movement of a commander to the command zone can be made in lieu of having them go to graveyard, exile or deck (still has to go to hand if bounced), so long as you are in control of yourself.

If a person manages to exile your commander while they have control of your turn, via something like Sorin Markov's ultimate, Worst Fears, Emrakul, the Promised End or Mindslaver, they make ALL decisions you would/could make, including letting it go to exile.

While this is typically frowned upon and against the spirit of the game, it is indeed a legal play for the game/format. Anything to the contrary is a house rule.

Quote:
9. If a Commander would be put into a library, hand, graveyard or exile from anywhere, its owner may choose to move it to the command zone instead.

But yes, if someone controls your turn, they get to make this decision for you.

Offline Profile