Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 6:33 am

Post subject: Melded commander problem
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-13 8:31 pm 

So it seems to me that if a commander is a melded permanent and it is redirected to the command zone, both cards would have to go there, because the replacement effect applies before it stops being a permanent. Also, since there is no rule allowing you to cast non-commanders from the command zone, that non-commander card would be lost forever.

In light of this, I have a suggestion. It's not perfect, but I think it's worth discussing:

Quote:
If a non-melded Commander would be put into a library, hand, graveyard or exile from anywhere, its owner may choose to move it to the command zone instead.

If a melded Commander is put into a library or hand, reveal it. If the melded commander would be shuffled into your library, note this and put it on top of the library instead.

As a melded Commander stops being a permanent, you may choose to move your Commander card to the command zone from wherever it is. Then, if the library would have been shuffled, shuffle it.

I'm not sure if this wording works at all or if it accounts for every possible scenario. The most I hope for is that the problem is taken seriously.

End of post

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Melded commander problem
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-13 9:28 pm 

The replacement effect doesn't happen while the Brusela (the only melded card that can be a Commander, currently) is a permanent.

If a melded permanent is (for example) exiled, both components of the melded card are put into exile (Brusela never enters exile; it's always Bruna and Gisela that get sent to exile). The Commander rules handle this normally; that is whichever one isn't your Commander gets exiled, while you have the choice of putting your Commander back into the command zone or not. The same applies for bounce to top of library, destroyed/killed in play, or whatever.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-13 10:27 pm 

Rules for meld:
Quote:
712.4. If a melded permanent leaves the battlefield, one permanent leaves the battlefield and two cards are put into the appropriate zone.

As such, exactly as Viperion said, two separate cards are being put into the appropriate location, a replacement effect may be applied to one of them, so no new rules required.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-13 10:46 pm 

Okay, thank you for clearing that up. It seems that it was just a MTGO bug.
It does seem like the replacement effect should be applied before the action of leaving the battlefield, but I guess that's not the case, because the commander is the card and not the permanent, which is odd because I thought a card became a permanent on the battlefield.

EDIT: Ah, here we go:

Quote:
712.4d If multiple replacement effects could be applied to the event of a melded permanent leaving the battlefield or being put into the new zone, applying one of those replacement effects to one of the two cards affects both cards. If the melded permanent is a commander, it may be exempt from this rule; see rule 903.9a.

So, this is actually the relevant rule, and a commander is specifically exempt from it. That's cool.

EDIT 2: Wait! It "may" be exempt? Does this mean that both cards can actually go to the command zone if desired?

Offline Profile