Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-17 1:01 am

Post subject: Copying Emrakul 2.0's ability
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-14 10:42 am 

Hey everyone,

I was hoping I could get some clarification on this one.
I had a friend try to copy the on cast ability of Emrakul, the Promised End and target me for both the original and the copy (via Strionic Resonator).

The wording in question being "When you cast Emrakul, you gain control of target opponent during that player's next turn. After that turn, that player takes an extra turn."

They argued the point, claiming that the ability would cause him to get 2 of my turns, and I would only get one after.

My point would be that it would effectively give me 2 extra turns while he would only take one of mine. My thought process is such that him gaining control of my "next turn" twice would effectively cause him to take control of my very next turn and only that turn. One instance in that scenario would be redundant, as he never got control of my turn to begin with, and it still remains "my" turn, he just can make any decision that I could make.

Can I get confirmation on this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Copying Emrakul 2.0's ability
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-14 10:55 am 

I asked a similar question on the MagicJudge tumblr, and this is what she said:

Quote:
Q: With the new Emrakul; if I have a million mana, cast Emrakul, bounce it (say with Clutch of Currents), then cast it again, when my turn ends what is the order of the next few turns? Does the second casting of Emrakul mean I gain control of my opponent during the extra turn my first casting of Emrakul gave them?

A: Multiple effects that would control a given player’s next turn overwrite each other rather than stacking. The last effect to be created will be the one that controls the player. This means that you’ll only control the next turn your opponent takes and then all of the other turns granted by Emrakul will be taken by opponent with them fully in control of their own actions.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-14 11:53 am 

Thank you! It helps to know that I was right in my assessment of the card's ability and how it would apply in multiples.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-14 9:00 pm 

To cap it off, the relevant rules text you can quote to your friend if they dont believe you:
Quote:
712.1a Multiple player-controlling effects that affect the same player overwrite each other. The last one to be created is the one that works.

Quote:
500.7. Some effects can give a player extra turns. They do this by adding the turns directly after the current turn. If a player is given multiple extra turns, the extra turns are added one at a time.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile