Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Nov-18 10:14 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-17 10:19 pm 

Joined: 2016-Sep-17 10:08 pm
Age: Hatchling
I have been searching everywhere and I am still confused about the rules regarding this. Here is the situation, I have in my hand Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Kozilek, the Great Distortion. My commander in Green/White and I have enough mana to cast Kozi. So here is what I do, I play Urborg and then tap Urborg and a plains choosing black as the colours, which should then become colourless, I then tap eight more mana. Is it right that because the two black I added to my mana pool from Urborg (which can only produce black), the now swamp plain and the eight other random mana I can now cast Kozilek or does this not work.

Thank you very much for the help, I have been searching for a long while and it changes how I will play Kozi, if it is easier or harder.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 12:35 am 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-24 10:14 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
That rule has gone away. You can now generate any color of mana regardless of your commander's color identity. There is no longer a conversion to colorless.

_________________
"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 12:39 am 

Joined: 2016-Sep-17 10:08 pm
Age: Hatchling
So in that case I could not cast Kozi, I would need to tap land that specifically produces colourless mana to do so, such as Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and Seraph Sanctuary.

Just to be clear on this I cannot use Urborg to make colourless mana?

Thank you!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 1:25 am 

Joined: 2012-Mar-31 11:52 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Admiral Apricot wrote:
So in that case I could not cast Kozi, I would need to tap land that specifically produces colourless mana to do so, such as Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and Seraph Sanctuary.

Just to be clear on this I cannot use Urborg to make colourless mana?

Thank you!

That is correct, unless you have another card which can filter colored mana into colorless mana (think reverse Mana Cyclix, which I don't know if it even exists off the top of my head).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 2:30 am 

Joined: 2016-Sep-17 10:08 pm
Age: Hatchling
Okay thank you very much, it is nice to have it all cleared up, I can tutor for Nyx but I will need to find another suitable legendary colourless mana generator, so I can make sure I can get out Kozi.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 5:36 am 

Joined: 2009-Apr-21 3:38 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Palm Springs Area, CA
cryogen wrote:
Admiral Apricot wrote:
So in that case I could not cast Kozi, I would need to tap land that specifically produces colourless mana to do so, such as Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and Seraph Sanctuary.

Just to be clear on this I cannot use Urborg to make colourless mana?

Thank you!

That is correct, unless you have another card which can filter colored mana into colorless mana (think reverse Mana Cyclix, which I don't know if it even exists off the top of my head).

Kyren Toy if you can untap it.
Basalt Monolith kinda does this.

_________________
3DH4L1F3


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 6:09 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
Actually, Wizards retconned all generic producing mana sources to be colorless, for example, Sol Ring produces two colorless mana ever since Oath of the Gatewatch as well as other generic producing sources like Unknown Shore, Temple of the False Gods, Shrine of the Forsaken gods, and Urza's lands, as well as Scions and spawn. Getting a hold of lands the generate colorless mana is super easy, especially with the presence of Wastes, and other lands.

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 7:41 am 

Joined: 2012-Mar-31 11:52 am
Age: Elder Dragon
RaiRai wrote:
Actually, Wizards retconned all generic producing mana sources to be colorless, for example, Sol Ring produces two colorless mana ever since Oath of the Gatewatch as well as other generic producing sources like Unknown Shore, Temple of the False Gods, Shrine of the Forsaken gods, and Urza's lands, as well as Scions and spawn. Getting a hold of lands the generate colorless mana is super easy, especially with the presence of Wastes, and other lands.

This is incorrect. Nothing was retconned, they just made a symbol to clear up confusion, which it seems you shared. There is no such thing as "generic" mana, it was simply shorthand for mana of any color. Take the card Mana Prism, for example. The first ability adds one colorless mana to your mana pool, not "generic" mana. The second ability lets you pay one mana of any color (generic) in order to produce a single mana of the color of your choosing. The new symbol was created because design needed a way to shorthand the need for colorless mana to be used, and had the added effect of clearing up confusions such as yours.

However, none of this ha any bearing whatsoever on the OP's question.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 8:56 am 

Joined: 2016-Sep-17 10:08 pm
Age: Hatchling
I have a Captain Sisay deck, pure legendary and (the best part) a massive amount of board wipes, because why not, and I am going to hunt around for some legendary colourless mana land producers to fit the theme. I know there are a bunch, just need to find some cheap ones. Nyxthos works perfectly and I am sure there are plenty others, also help with ensuring land drops each turn.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Producing Colourless Mana From Non Commander Colours
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-18 1:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2006-Dec-31 12:26 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Admiral Apricot wrote:
I am going to hunt around for some legendary colourless mana land producers to fit the theme.

These ones?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: