Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 8:43 am

Post subject: Re: Shahrazad status
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-13 8:58 am 

specter404 wrote:
The magic subgame doesn't give you a time extension, so how is this really a bigger drain on time assuming everything goes to plan with resolving the spell?

It is twofold:

Pragmatically, every extra match that goes to time is another opportunity to drag the tournament out. Even when you expect rounds to take the full amount of time because there will be some games going to time, it is best if that number is as small as possible.

Philosophically, there is also a difference between the situation where people didn't play briskly enough to finish in time and the one where a card actually makes it impossible to finish the match within the time allowed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-13 9:49 am 

Good points, that makes sense.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 3:51 am 

I'm a fan of Shahrazad, but I would never like to encounter the card in a tournament. We go to time in a round, so now only 5 turns in the main game. I play Shahrazad. We have to finish the complete sub game in the extra turns. I think this will extend the duration of the round considerably. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 8:03 am 

Not that this actually matters, but if you restart a game with Karn or start a subgame, you still count turns normally. So if you cast Shahrazad on turn 2 of extra turns, you would get turn 3 as a the first turn of the sub-game. And the match would end at the end of your second sub-game turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-23 8:19 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Not that this actually matters, but if you restart a game with Karn or start a subgame, you still count turns normally. So if you cast Shahrazad on turn 2 of extra turns, you would get turn 3 as a the first turn of the sub-game. And the match would end at the end of your second sub-game turn.

What if someone concedes the sub-game as soon as possible? Is a 'turn' used up?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-24 1:33 am 

I believe this is a question to which there is no official answer because there is no legal sub-game card in any tournament format. BUT! I would also say that "turn" means "turn." You can concede at any time, including during pregame procedures, which are not part of any turn. Until both players have kept opening hands, no turn has started and if a player concedes the sub-game at that time, you would continue with the main without iterating the turn count.

Offline Profile