Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 7:06 am

Post subject: Re: Does Color Identity still contribute something positive?
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-31 10:57 pm 

PietjePuk wrote:
Could someone maybe try and find the then-effective version of the EDH-specific CR?

EDH wasn't actually added to the CR that long ago either - in fact, it was added the year they started making pre-cons, which I'm pretty sure was AFTER color identity became a thing. Which makes this like finding a US law from 1700 - it can't be done, because there was no US.

There were rules on this site, however, and this is how it worked - you could not include a card that had a mana symbol anywhere on it (casting cost or text box) if that color symbol did not appear in your general's casting cost. The upshot of this was that cards like Memnarch were illegal in their own decks, and could not run colors they clearly should be able to. The CI rule fixed this.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-01 2:17 am 

Aside from some flavor issues, minor ones, with off color fetches, Urborg, Extort, and Devoid; and maybe a few other things, I think the Color Identity rules are about as good as we're going to get. Regarding Devoid in the list, I'm of the opinion that Eldrazi tribal decks should flavorfully be allowed to use Devoid cards as if they were colorless.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-01 4:12 am 

Baron Cappuccino wrote:
Regarding Devoid in the list, I'm of the opinion that Eldrazi tribal decks should flavorfully be allowed to use Devoid cards as if they were colorless.

That would be tough to implement in the rules.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-01 11:54 am 

A perfectly justifiable house rule though. If the rest of your deck sticks to the flavour of the eldrazi I would be happy for you to include devoid cards.

A rule that says "if your commander is creature type:eldrazi, you may play devoid spells as though they have no color identity" is rather overly specific to be part of the general rules.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-01 1:43 pm 

specter404 wrote:
A perfectly justifiable house rule though. If the rest of your deck sticks to the flavour of the eldrazi I would be happy for you to include devoid cards.

Well, sure, but I don't generally interpret suggestions in the rules discussion forum to be house rule ideas unless specifically designated as such - people generally don't come here to make posts that say "My group uses this house rule" - they come here to suggest or demand that the official rules should be changed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-01 1:52 pm 

No doubt, people just seem to undervalue house rules. This is exactly the sort of thing that should be put in a house rule. People often come here wanting to change the rules for everyone where it's just not a feasible thing to fix across the board. It's much easier make a reasonable common sense rule within your group, because you can explain it beyond the rules of magic.

You cant really house rule magic online, unless you play in freeform and even then it's limited, but our rules cater to paper players anyway.

Basically I always like to highlight situations where house rules are most appropriate so that more people try them out more often.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-02 11:12 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
EDH wasn't actually added to the CR that long ago either - in fact, it was added the year they started making pre-cons, which I'm pretty sure was AFTER color identity became a thing. Which makes this like finding a US law from 1700 - it can't be done, because there was no US.

Well, the first Commander pre-con came out back in 2011, which was five years ago now, so it's not exactly that new. However, Colour Identity was introduced at the same time as that original Commander release, just like the change of the format's name from EDH to Commander happened at that time.

I think the current colour identity rule does what it is supposed to do: it creates an interesting restriction to deck construction in a large deck, singleton format. If you simplified the rule to just look at a card's colour, you would have legendary artifact creatures that could no longer be commanders of coloured decks, like Memnarch, while that's not a big difference, it does exist.

I do understand that there are some cards that would see more play without the colour identity restriction, such as cards with three colour identities, like Anavolver, that could work just fine in a two colour deck, but no solution is going to be perfect and this one seems pretty good all things considered.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-13 2:12 pm 

Just to clarify...

Memnarch, Bosh, Iron golem, Thelon of Havenwood, General Tazri, and 5 or so other legendary creatures would not be available as commanders without the color identity rule. Yes IMO it is still contributing something positive to the format.

Also command tower and similar cards actually rely on it.

Offline Profile