Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-20 10:41 pm

Post subject: Re: Rule regarding Murmuring Bosk
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-12 7:11 am 

As you so kindly have cleaned up my mess, I feel urged to say thank you.

I actually confused "land" with "land card" - and I am a bit embarassed of this. I guess it happens when one (me) doesn't read quotes carefully enough. :oops: Sorry about that. Can I have an excuse in not being a native English speaker?

As for the "truckload"... yes, that was a little exaggeration. Take it as stylistic means and not too serious.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-12 8:02 am 

papa_funk wrote:
305.6 doesn't actually interact with color identity. That's why we need 903.5d

Incorporating intrinsic text into color identity would flip how extort works, too. We could make it happen, but status quo seems fine.

So just to confirm my understanding, all basic lands have a colourless CI and it is only rule 903.5d that prevents me from putting mountains in my mono-white deck?

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-13 1:20 am 

specter404 wrote:
So just to confirm my understanding, all basic lands have a colourless CI and it is only rule 903.5d that prevents me from putting mountains in my mono-white deck?

Pretty much, yeah.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-13 3:50 am 

specter404 wrote:

To be more specific/pedantic you can include classic duals, shocks and battle lands in that list. None of them have a mana symbol in their printed rules text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-13 9:09 am 

SnailSlug wrote:
niheloim wrote:
These two rules tell me that a land with the Forest type does not, in fact, have a green mana symbol in its text box, hidden or otherwise. Rather, the mana production of lands with basic land types is a game rule (not unlike how creatures have the intrinsic ability to attack and block unless otherwise stated) and not any kind of readable ability on the card.

Can you literally not read? What part of a card's text do you think isn't a game rule? What the hell do you think is going to happen when someone casts Sudden Spoiling with a Life and Limb out?
As a general rule, no I cannot literally read. I prefer to figuratively read.

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
niheloim wrote:
(not unlike how creatures have the intrinsic ability to attack and block unless otherwise stated)

It's, in fact, very unlike: Attacking is not an ability - neither intrinsic nor written - it's a game action (or rather a turn-based action, but don't quote me on that one). The inability to attack is an ability, named defender, obviously.
Muraganda Petroglyphs would be a REALLY pointless card otherwise.

"Tap: Add G" IS an ability (recognizable by the colon marking it as an "activated ability" and by rule 305.6. you already quoted).

As for Rule 903.5d: if you carefully read through the Comprehensive Rules, you will find a truckload of rules we actually don't need, because they're written redundantly in different places. That's just to improve readability - you find most of the rules for a certain situation in one place without the need to follow a million references in the process.

I'm not using the word ability in the magic-ese sense, but in the normal English sense of being able to do something. Yes creatures do not have a printed ability in their text box that says they may attack, but they are granted the ability to attack by the rules of the game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-13 10:07 am 

Carthain wrote:
I was not including that as my example -- so I'm not sure why you attributed it to this

I mentioned it because Thor_Naadeu mentioned it in his "truckload of redundant rules" post, and that rule happens to NOT be redundant.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile