Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-17 8:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paradox Engine 0_o
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-30 11:09 am 

But in addition to having something in the yard, a sac outlet, and corpse dance, you need the engine in play, and mana rocks to the value of 5 mana including 1 black. So gilded lotus plus sol ring. Thats a 5 card combo, with a set up cost of 10+ mana, seems pretty damned reasonable to me considering it can be interacted with in so many ways

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-30 3:03 pm 

specter404 wrote:
But in addition to having something in the yard, a sac outlet, and corpse dance, you need the engine in play, and mana rocks to the value of 5 mana including 1 black. So gilded lotus plus sol ring. Thats a 5 card combo, with a set up cost of 10+ mana, seems pretty damned reasonable to me considering it can be interacted with in so many ways

This.

kaldare wrote:
Intruder Alarm requires mana dorks

To make infinite mana, yes. It also goes off with, say, Kiki-Jiki or my old favorite, Drowner of Secrets and Stonybrook Schoolmaster. And for the record, both of those can come out of nowhere (with 9 mana I can go from empty board to mill everyone in 1 turn).

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-20 11:54 am 

Arcum Dagsson says hi

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-20 1:52 pm 

frogomatik wrote:

I like him, but don't think you're often casting spells, especially not the stax/Null Brooch players.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-21 1:26 am 

frogomatik wrote:

Arcum Daggson is a giant arse with or without Paradox Engine.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-21 1:25 pm 

Apart from being really problematic with Selvala 2.0, today I learned that with enough mana rocks/dorks and Cloudstone Curio, literally any deck can become a combo deck. Why the hell not? Kind of feels like jamming Vault/Key juat because you can.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-23 1:34 am 

To be fair, Cloudstone Curio already made pretty much any deck a combo deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-23 2:04 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
To be fair, Cloudstone Curio already made pretty much any deck a combo deck.

Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-23 4:16 am 

zimagic wrote:
Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-23 5:54 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
meme

I want to be all serious defending the Curio because I love it, but, yeah, it' got shennanigans written all over it.

There's possibly the arguament that you have to build your deck a certain way to really benefit but realistically, ETB effects are so prevalent that all you need is some mana and a couple of dorks. Add in something that breaks the rules of the game in some way and you're already there.

I was going to argue that you need less things with Curio than PE but you likely just need different things, all of which are commonly played. It's possible that the incidental combos/synergies that PE enables are slightly more common, but that would just be arguing shades of grey rather than whether the zone was even grey in the first place, which is quite obviously is in both cases.

*sigh*

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-02 10:43 am 

This card is beyond broken. I put it in my Atraxa and Daretti decks just to make a point and it's beyond disgusting anytime it sees the board.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-02 8:11 pm 

twesterm wrote:
This card is beyond broken. I put it in my Atraxa and Daretti decks just to make a point and it's beyond disgusting anytime it sees the board.

Curious: Did you just put it into those decks as they were already built or did you make changes based on you adding the Engine to the deck?

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-03 5:59 pm 

zimagic wrote:
twesterm wrote:

Curious: Did you just put it into those decks as they were already built or did you make changes based on you adding the Engine to the deck?

Daretti - zero changes. The last game I played I had a few mana rocks, throne of geth, and spine. The game was over at that point without even needing Daretti (he had been rightfully hated on the entire game).

Atraxa - I added a few cheap mana rocks, but it didn't make a lot of difference. It already had the big ones that make all the difference-- mana vault, grim monolith, guilded lotus in there.

The card is just plain bonkers. If it hits the board and I untap, I will likely play my entire hand. It's as dangerous of a card as Omniscience.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-04 10:11 am 

twesterm wrote:
If it hits the board and I untap, I will likely play my entire hand. It's as dangerous of a card as Omniscience.

OK... now what makes it worse than any of the dozens of other ways to vomit your hand onto the table or combo the entire board out?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-07 9:54 am 

Paradox engine = omniscience is a bit of an oversimplification. I can see it acting like omniscience when you have the right set up, but that set up always includes at least two other cards, usually big mana rocks.

It also always comes with the caveat "if I untap", paradox engine should be killed whenever possible, it provides a big advantage, but broken? I just dont see it, not by itself.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next