Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-17 8:27 am

Post subject: Overpowered lands
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-29 10:09 pm 

I am a longtime fan of this format, but some things make zero sense to me.

We have banned tolarian academy, but the equally broken and insane counterparts, cradle and sanctum, are sitting pretty with no signs of banning.

Both can get rather disgusting in terms of mana oroduction, and realistically, should be banned.

Additionally, why in the hell is tabernacle legal?

There is no planet where this card isn't nuts to play ahagainst.

It's starting to feel like Iam going to have to include wasteland, strip mine, ghost quarter and expedition map in every commander deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Overpowered lands
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-30 12:52 am 

While it isn't a perfect parallel, Legacy also bans Academy but not Sanctum or Cradle. The reason for this is simple: those cards aren't equally broken or insane.

What's the reason for the reason? Enchantments and Creatures don't have any parallel for Moxes, Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, Grim Monolith, or Sol Ring. It is shockingly easy to untap with 7 mana on turn 2 with Academy. It is next to impossible to do that with Cradle or Sanctum.

Cradle also relies on creatures, and Wrath effects are substantially more common than Shatter Storms. So, while Cradle has a similar top end to Academy, it is slower out of the gates and gets reset more often. (This is the same reason Nykthos is fine. Can sometimes tap for 8-10 mana, but is easily reset.)

Sanctum, frankly, is such a niche card that I think I've only seen it once or twice in EDH. Enchantress is just not that popular or powerful an archetype. Not remotely close to running roughshod over the format.

Tabernacle is legal because it's fine. It taxes non-token decks like 3 mana per turn in mid to late game and by that time is often easily eaten by an Acidic Slime or whatever.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-30 8:04 am 

Crokaycete has explained quite well but to put a summary point on. It is not enough to look at what the card does mechanically, you must also consider the way the card typically performs. In practice artifacts are more abusable, getting to double digit mana with academy and mana rocks in the first couple turns is easier than with cradle and birds

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-30 3:05 pm 

crokaycete wrote:
Sanctum, frankly, is such a niche card that I think I've only seen it once or twice in EDH. Enchantress is just not that popular or powerful an archetype. Not remotely close to running roughshod over the format.

It's really good with Heliod.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-31 4:48 am 

Why can I go into a store and buy a steak knife, but they wont sell me any nuclear warheads?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-31 10:48 am 

Swarm wrote:
Why can I go into a store and buy a steak knife, but they wont sell me any nuclear warheads?

Probably because you went to the wrong store.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-31 11:27 am 

cryogen wrote:
Swarm wrote:

I'd like to know which store you go to, Cryogen. For... reasons...

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-31 8:55 pm 

I don't want to be the guy that says "play more removal", but eh, do you play enough removal? I agree that Cradle is absurd, but it's far from the most broken or annoying card in the format. My idea is that the perception of Cradle is skewed by its role in Elf combo, but playing singleton is very remote from chaining multiples.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-01 7:18 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
I don't want to be the guy that says "play more removal", but eh, do you play enough removal? I agree that Cradle is absurd, but it's far from the most broken or annoying card in the format. My idea is that the perception of Cradle is skewed by its role in Elf combo, but playing singleton is very remote from chaining multiples.

I think the format has sufficiently evolved to the point where almost every game will see at least one quality card of every type, and putting removal in your deck should be instinctive. Especially since Strip Mine, Tectonic Edge, or Ghost Quarter since all they take up is a land slot.
Viperion wrote:
cryogen wrote:
Swarm wrote:

I'd like to know which store you go to, Cryogen. For... reasons...

Nuclear Warheads 'r Us, obviously.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-01 7:53 am 

I often feel like the No MLD approach can be warped into a no LD approach where people are especially wary of anything that destroys land. I agree that at least one of strip, waste or ghost should be in every deck to give you the same chance of destroying cradle or cabal coffers or similar as they have of drawing it. Ghost quarter especially replaces the land so you are usually not even taking them down a land

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-02 8:11 am 

cryogen wrote:
I think the format has sufficiently evolved to the point where almost every game will see at least one quality card of every type, and putting removal in your deck should be instinctive.

Removal yes, LD not so much.

specter404 wrote:
I often feel like the No MLD approach can be warped into a no LD approach where people are especially wary of anything that destroys land.

Something like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-02 2:05 pm 

cryogen wrote:

I guess the obvious question here is "They sell STEAK KNIVES!?"

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-02 3:16 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
cryogen wrote:

I guess the obvious question here is "They sell STEAK KNIVES!?"

Sure. Depleted uranium ones for that spicy free neutron flavor in every bite.

Also, I just spent Christmas money on a Serena's Sanctum, so clearly it can't be banned.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-03 4:51 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Also, I just spent Christmas money on a Serena's Sanctum, so clearly it can't be banned.

A lot of people were angry about the Gifts Ungiven ban for that reason.

And you mean Serra's Sanctum.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-03 11:11 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:

A lot of people were angry about the Gifts Ungiven ban for that reason.

And you mean Serra's Sanctum.

I certainly do. Damn autocorrect. I typed it right.

Offline Profile