Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-17 4:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: So...Aetherflux Reservoir
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-21 1:24 am 

Sovarius wrote:
i hope the people who fear this card also realize that regular removal also works before the Reservoir owner has 151 life.

Yes and no. They can respond to your regular removal by just killing you, which removes your removal spell from the stack and you from the game. Which is why I mentioned taking one for the team - if I try to kill it and you kill me in response, and that activation drops you below 50 life, someone else can now do something about it without the reservoir dangling over their heads (at least for a time).

The card isn't banworthy, but it should be killed with fire ASAP, before it becomes a threat.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-21 1:34 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Sovarius wrote:
i hope the people who fear this card also realize that regular removal also works before the Reservoir owner has 151 life.

Yes and no. They can respond to your regular removal by just killing you, which removes your removal spell from the stack and you from the game.

I mean to say before 51 then. My intention was to convey that if they play it and can't use it, removal still applies like most other things.

Really, i think they'd have to all in on the life-laser plan to bother wasting 50 life to protect the Reservoir if they were under like 65-70 anyway. Idk if one-shotting someone to protect it is going to be a generally acceptable plan if it leaves you at crtitically low.

Saying 151 was a mistake since you don't need to activate 3 times in response to the removal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-22 3:24 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
I mean to say before 51 then. My intention was to convey that if they play it and can't use it, removal still applies like most other things.

I recognize this - hence why I said it should be killed with fire before it becomes a threat.

Sovarius wrote:
Really, i think they'd have to all in on the life-laser plan to bother wasting 50 life to protect the Reservoir if they were under like 65-70 anyway. Idk if one-shotting someone to protect it is going to be a generally acceptable plan if it leaves you at crtitically low.

While this is certainly true, this is the kind of card that only goes into decks that are going to abuse it, either because they gain craptons of life to begin with, or because they play craptons of spells to fuel it directly. So if this thing shows up, it's probably their wincon, and the deck is probably very good at gaining life, so unless it creates a near certainty of death, it's probably worth paying to protect it.

Once it's on the table and its owner is above the threshold, then it becomes a giant game of chicken - if no one is willing to die to eliminate the reservoir, or force the owner to make a difficult choice, then they will continue to gain life until they can just end the game, unless someone can pull the Kung-Fu Grip and destroy it.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-02 5:20 am 

I just can't wait to stifle/trickbind it. Or better yet Reroute.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-03 4:02 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Or interdictfor value.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-03 5:57 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Or interdictfor value.

I think Reroute is better here - stopping the doom laser and drawing a card is nice... making the doom laser kill its owner and drawing a card is better.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-03 7:52 am 

Fun fact - back in the day, Interdict kind of had partial split second. The card types "interrupt" and "mana source" meant only abilities that said "play as an interrupt" (or other interrupts, mana sources, and mana abilities) could be used to respond to them. If you could play it the way it originally worked, it would probably be a little bit better than Trickbind or Reroute in this situation, although then you would have to allow all the other interrupts to be played as original, and it would add even more complication to an already WAY complex game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-03 10:49 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Yeah, to be great, Interdict would have to have Split Second. Otherwise, they can just activate again before Interdict resolves.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-04 10:01 am 

intreped wrote:
although then you would have to allow all the other interrupts to be played as original, and it would add even more complication to an already WAY complex game.

Not just more complicated, but arguably just worse gameplay in general - old counterspells were all interrupts, but newly printed ones are instants, so you'd have a situation where old countermagic automatically trumped new countermagic. In fact many spells would become uncounterable by new countermagic, which is obviously bad.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-07 9:59 am 

I have found this card/deck pretty wearisome online, but I did face it a few games in a row. The nice part of online is I get to hit F6, let the player play with themselves and go looking for another game to join in the mean time.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-08 1:17 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
intreped wrote:
although then you would have to allow all the other interrupts to be played as original, and it would add even more complication to an already WAY complex game.

Not just more complicated, but arguably just worse gameplay in general - old counterspells were all interrupts, but newly printed ones are instants, so you'd have a situation where old countermagic automatically trumped new countermagic. In fact many spells would become uncounterable by new countermagic, which is obviously bad.

But if Interrupt weren't removed, all the new counters would have been printed as Interrupts themselves, no?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-09 12:06 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
intreped wrote:

But if Interrupt weren't removed, all the new counters would have been printed as Interrupts themselves, no?

Probably. But now not only do you have to effectively errata all spells that might counter something to be interrupts, then you have to decide how they interact with stuff like Mystical Teachings or Guttersnipe. That's a lot of errata.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-11 6:34 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Or interdictfor value.

This is a card I really like and never heard of somehow. It's Trickbind without split second which is still pretty useful. Thanks.

On the topic of interrupts: I like the sorcery speed counterspells. Stuff like Preemptive Strike

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-12 4:10 am 

Necrachilles wrote:
On the topic of interrupts: I like the sorcery speed counterspells. Stuff like Preemptive Strike

You do realize it's just an instant right? As in, if you check the oracle wording of the card, it's changed from Sorcery to Instant. So a Flash Counter can counter the Preemptive Strike.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-12 2:08 pm 

Carthain wrote:
Necrachilles wrote:

You do realize it's just an instant right? As in, if you check the oracle wording of the card, it's changed from Sorcery to Instant. So a Flash Counter can counter the Preemptive Strike.

Yeah I know that lol

They were talking about interrupts (which has also been errata'd) and I just mention the 'sorcery' ones because if you're just looking at the card, it's extra weird. :D

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next