Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-13 11:19 pm

Post subject: Confused a bit concerning Colour Identity
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-02 12:56 pm 

I just bought a pre made Commander deck, first one ever by the way. It has the legendary creature: Kynaios and Trio of Meletis. It has a casting cost of 1 mountain, 1 forest, 1 plains, and 1 island. In this pre made deck, that is sold by Wizards of the Coasts, there are Land and Artifact cards that produce Wastes when tapped. There are other Legendary Creature cards in the deck as well but none of them have Wastes as part of their colour identity. With no possible commander having wastes as part of its colour identity, is not this deck it self illegal? If so I feel that some sort of re-imbursement to those of us that purchased this deck that was made and sold by Wizards of the Coasts is in order seeing as we were sold a deck by the very company who's rules it is violating.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Confused a bit concerning Colour Identity
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-02 3:52 pm 

Hello and welcome to the forums and welcome to the format as well!

"Wastes" is not a color. Wastes are basic lands which tap for one colorless mana. There are only 5 colors of magic: Green, Red, Black, Blue, and White. It is the presence of these colors or their corresponding mana symbols which make up a card's color identity. The colorless mana symbol (which is a diamond shape seen on Wastes) does not effect color identity in any way as it does not have color.

Also, you seem like you were maybe asking for reimbursement here and I feel I should mention that these forums are not run by Wizards of the Coast. If you ever do need reimbursement from them, you should try contacting them on their site or through facebook or reddit or something. But you definitely do not need reimbursement from them in this instance; the decks are playable as-is (and I don't know whether they have reimbursed anyone who bought a Commander preconstructed deck from way back that had Trade Secrets in it, which became banned later).

Hope you have fun playing with the deck!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-05 4:29 pm 

Specific rules regarding colors and color identity:

Quote:
105.1. There are five colors in the Magic game: white, blue, black, red, and green.

Quote:
105.2. An object can be one or more of the five colors, or it can be no color at all. An object is the color or colors of the mana symbols in its mana cost, regardless of the color of its frame. An object’s color or colors may also be defined by a color indicator or a characteristic-defining ability. See rule 202.2.

105.2a A monocolored object is exactly one of the five colors.

105.2b A multicolored object is two or more of the five colors.

105.2c A colorless object has no color.

Quote:
903.4. The Commander variant uses color identity to determine what cards can be in a deck with a certain commander. The color identity of a card is the color or colors of any mana symbols in that card’s mana cost or rules text, plus any colors defined by its characteristic-defining abilities (see rule 604.3) or color indicator (see rule 204).

Example: Bosh, Iron Golem is a legendary artifact creature with mana cost {8} and the ability “{3}{R}, Sacrifice an artifact: Bosh, Iron Golem deals damage equal to the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost to target creature or player.” Bosh’s color identity is red.

Colorless is not a color, therefore only matters if your Commander has no other Color Identity to it at all. Currently there are only 7 Legendary Creatures with a Colorless Color Identity and they are listed here:

Emrakul, the Promised End
Hope of Ghirapur
Karn, Silver Golem
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Kozilek, the Great Distortion
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

There are 2 Colorless Legendary Creatures that have a Color Identity that isn't Colorless:

Bosh, Iron Golem (Color Identity: Red)
Memnarch (Color Identity: Blue)

There is only one Legendary Creature with Colorless Mana in it's cost, and that is Kozilek, the Great Distortion. Every other Legendary Creature either has Colored Mana symbols in its cost, or Generic Mana in it's cost.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Last edited by tgambitg on 2017-Feb-07 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-07 2:45 am 

tgambitg wrote:

You mean Hope of Ghirapur. I think you conflated the name with Heart of Kiran.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-07 3:19 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
tgambitg wrote:

You mean Hope of Ghirapur. I think you conflated the name with Heart of Kiran.

You're right, fixed.... My mind is not as much like a steel trap anymore. lol

Offline Profile