Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-20 9:54 pm

Post subject: Re: American 1v1 rules change
AgePosted: 2017-Apr-06 8:23 am 

FinalLogic wrote:
Baron Cappuccino wrote:
As long as they leave original multiplayer commander alone, I'm ambivalent about any changes or competition in the 1v1 arenas. Last thing we need is Wizards taking over Commander and "shaking up the meta" by banning whatever general everyone likes most at the moment, banning sol ring in the name of format diversity, etc. A multiplayer commander Grand Prix/Pro Tour would be something to experience once, though.

Anything that competitive would be dominated by Hermit Druid turn 2/turn 3 decks. Not fun at all.

Pretty sure once everyone is on that level it evens out. Some of the longest and most interactive games I've played have been when everyone was playing something truly broken. You really are forced to step out of your own little bubble and forge alliances, stab people in the back, and generally play the game of thrones in order to navigate one of those games. Super fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-07 1:24 pm 

majikal wrote:
Pretty sure once everyone is on that level it evens out. Some of the longest and most interactive games I've played have been when everyone was playing something truly broken. You really are forced to step out of your own little bubble and forge alliances, stab people in the back, and generally play the game of thrones in order to navigate one of those games. Super fun.

Yeah - definitely a different 'style' of game, but can really be fun. For me, that's what some vintage/legacy games can be like when everyone is able to be "powered up" in the respective formats (power, duals, etc.)

Usually not what I'm looking for in Commander -- but it's always fun to step out of your usual games for a bit :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-03 3:13 am 

New online commander format with competitive 1v1 and a unified banlist. 30 life in duel, 40 in multi. Otherwise no difference.

This seems to be mainly based on the Leviathan banlist with a few differences.

Also the much leaner banlist pretty much breaks multiplayer Commander online. Emrakul is legal, for example. Thoughts?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... anned-list

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-03 4:00 am 

Huh. Didn't see that coming.

MTGO Commander players, would love to hear your thoughts about this.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-03 4:32 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I posted in the Rules Announcements forum (and on FB).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Banlist Discussion Stuff
AgePosted: 2017-May-03 3:56 pm 

This is basically total ass, or am i mistaken?

So now it's not even a banlist with formats of a different name, or a ban list based on 1v1/3+ FFA, but it's literally a ban list based on whether you are playing on MTGO or in paper? Wtf? So you can't take your paper list online or vice versa if you're using some of the non-overlapping banned cards. And of course this is literally about 0 on a scale of importance to WOTC (or the RC?) but if you play through a 3rd party like Cockatrice you have to specify if you're using MTGO or Paper....
If you're one of the players who can't find time or people to play in paper, or can't afford it the way you want to play, you are basically shoehorned into anew list (which may or may not be a problem, except for some polarizing stuff like Emrakul/Sylvan Primordial, which basically suck to play against.

Sheldon, did WOTC want you guys to change the paper ban list? This seems most likely to me, as i can't really tell what benefits there is to having both lists like this. I could have seen a WOTC/RC (either or both) created list for both 1v1 and for multiplayer, but this...

Well, it seems like total ass so far.

Or am i supposed to be looking at this as "paper ban list = casual ban list" and "mtgo ban list = competitive ban list" ?

Are competitive paper events going to be encouraged to use the "online list"?

This is wholly aside from what i do or do not like about this second (8th...) list. Moat banned???????

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-03 8:40 pm 

I think we can go back to calling this format EDH.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-03 10:17 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
I think we can go back to calling this format EDH.

I approve of this good or service.

Let Wizards make Commander their baby, and bring back EDH.

Goes back to his porch and yells at squirrels.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-04 12:28 am 

I don't think anyone has posted the The Official Announcement yet, so that may help.

Necrachilles wrote:
Viperion wrote:
'American' EDH I don't think is a thing. It's just EDH.

gazing through this thread, I'd like to point to this. Wizards ban list applies to the entirety of commander on MTGO; and it neither matters whether you are playing 1v1 nor multiplayer, this list now applies to both if you are playing on MTGO. Wizards is running events with rewards on MTGO as well, which means the ultimately that they've formally monetized the format online.

Note, this is strictly online and only online; this is not a hostile takeover of the rules committee as this list does not extend to paper Magic.

Now that that's out of the way, let's evaluate the list. First and foremost, I can tell Wizards doesn't know how much of a problem green can be in the format. Green's ramp takes on an entirely new dimension epitomized by (but not just limited to) Primeval Titan. I expect G(x) and UG(x) to take off because combination ramp and combo/control has been a problem in the past. Regarding Titan himself... how didn't Wizards know he's a one card combo in this format?

Everything else looks fine at the moment in my eyes on what's on the list. I suspect they're going to things not on the list that they swing back around to catch, especially if multiplayer catches on.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-04 12:54 am 

I don't use MODO, so this doesn't affect me, but has anybody found any explanation for why on Earth you'd use the same banned list for both multiplayer and 1v1 games? They're not removing the ability to play multiplayer Commander on Magic Online, I don't think, so how could they possibly expect one list to be able to balance both formats. Worldfire being unbanned seems the most obvious immediate problem with this situation...

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-04 2:52 am 

Swmystery wrote:
I don't use MODO, so this doesn't affect me, but has anybody found any explanation for why on Earth you'd use the same banned list for both multiplayer and 1v1 games? They're not removing the ability to play multiplayer Commander on Magic Online, I don't think, so how could they possibly expect one list to be able to balance both formats. Worldfire being unbanned seems the most obvious immediate problem with this situation...

I dunno if Worldfire is going to take MODO by storm, but it does make me want to build a deck that tries to get Arc Blade going...

Maybe a Jhoira build?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-04 3:30 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Sovarius wrote:
Sheldon, did WOTC want you guys to change the paper ban list?

Nope. They emphasized that they weren't interested in this affecting paper.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 11:59 am 

papa_funk wrote:
Sovarius wrote:
Sheldon, did WOTC want you guys to change the paper ban list?

Nope. They emphasized that they weren't interested in this affecting paper.

Sweet, always interesting to hear some inner workings! Thanks.

Sheldon wrote:
There was a recent change of heart:

http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/1603 ... -commander

This is the position we advocated, so we're happy to see it happen.

Oh thank fuck. I only play in paper so it didn't explicitly affect me, but this is so much cleaner for the format and all players.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-07 5:15 am 

This is all kind of off topic, since we're not even talking about 1v1 at this point. Please take your banlist argument elsewhere.

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-07 6:24 am 

FinalLogic wrote:
This is all kind of off topic, since we're not even talking about 1v1 at this point. Please take your banlist argument elsewhere.

Split the discussion into a new thread. Anyone interested in debating that stuff go to that one.

Offline Profile