Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 9:37 am

Post subject: Should we ban Iona in 1v1 EDH
AgePosted: 2017-Apr-13 7:22 am 

Iona, Shield of Emeria

As I know Iona is a cult favorite amongst those who are actually go out of their way to ramp or play her as a commander but I wish to propose her banning in 1v1 encounters because of how drastically she warps the format and creates an unfair winning condition against monocolor decks. I've recently been testing with a playgroup on Cockatrice where we've been done some tests considering in various 1v1 settings and found that decks only with colorless spells are able to deal with her. Now my playgroup have found that she's okay in games with more than two players, should we make 1v1 banlist?

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Should we ban Iona in 1v1 EDH
AgePosted: 2017-Apr-13 7:47 am 

There is a 1v1 banlist, however this forum and the RC has nothing to do with it.

Also unlike our banlist, the 1v1 banlist (also known as the Duel banlist or the French banlist) is geared 100% to competitive play. And in competitive play... Iona is "viable". She's a nice option for reanimator and Kaalia and other decks that can cheat her out, but even in those decks she's usually more or less filler. Most decks that run those strategies would rather have a card that wins the game on the spot color sets up your board to do that next turn. Iona just shuts down the opponent's plays, but only kinda well. Especially considering the most popular commanders are 2+ colors.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-13 2:31 pm 

While EDH functions fine normally in a 1v1 environment, the format is designed with 3+ players in mind. If you're interested in "Competitive Commander", there is a website here.

I personally find the format distasteful- but many people who've floated in-and-out of my regular playgroup have enjoyed and built decks specifically to enjoy that format.

For EDH proper, there has actually been a fairly severe reduction to the rules since EDH began to receive product support- in part because EDH has had to become a more newbie friendly format that doesn't simply foster learning for middling and upward players- but can also provide learning about magic fundamentals in addition to overall entertainment. With that in mind, making a banlist for 2 player commander games calls back to the "Banned As Commander" list that was cast into obsolescence in favor of a universal banlist. And Iona really isn't even in the top 20 most controversial cards FOR that list (I wouldn't even consider Cyclonic Rift a member of that list- and there's a massive forum thread where everyone on the forum runs their heads into a wall over the divisiveness of the card.)

Iona just sortof falls into a weird category of "potentially unfun but powerful things" alongside Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur as opposed to more categorically brutal cards like Leovold, Emissary of Trest.

That said- If your playgroup is having a hard time with a player who loves to drop their Iona, you could simply ask that they find a different card to slot in for some time until your internal meta shifts. If everyone at the table is playing a similar color scheme, it's easy to see Iona getting out of hand- and the best option isn't to enforce rules, but to seek to out-of-game politics that are done with a smile.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-14 1:52 am 

Who is "we"? This forum isn't remotely for the 1v1 formats that exist. Of which, there are basically like 3 'major' ones it seems. So which do you refer? DuelCommander, Leviathan, that thing WOTC announced for Modo? Or do you mean "The '4' player format but when there's 2 people present"?

In any case, i'm pretty sure this is in no way the forum to find real discussion or change. This RC doesn't ban cards for balance in 1v1 in this format, and i don't think they are part of the new thing WOTC is doing either.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
There is a 1v1 banlist, however this forum and the RC has nothing to do with it.

Also unlike our banlist, the 1v1 banlist (also known as the Duel banlist or the French banlist) is geared 100% to competitive play. And in competitive play... Iona is "viable".

Wholly agreed with the assessment, but your response is actually pretty narrow now a days. Duel Commander isn't the only 1v1 format anymore, since Leviathan is a thing, and since WOTC is 'creating' a 1v1 format.
Mr Degradation wrote:
While EDH functions fine normally in a 1v1 environment, the format is designed with 3+ players in mind. If you're interested in "Competitive Commander", there is a website here.

See above

I think RaiRai *might* be talking about the WOTC thing they are doing.

Offline Profile